bull in terriers

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well believe it or believe it not any dog alive today that is worked to a high standard has a lot too be grate full for as reguards bull blood it might of been added too some breeds 20 years ago and s

im aware of that mate im talking people that half cross staff to say a patt or russel if they feel the need to add bull to there terriers maybe they should look at the terriers there using my opinion

yip i tend too agree that some try and use it too make a bad terrier produce something thats better wrong way too go but its also been used on good well bred lines of terrier but through tight breedin

Posted Images

they put the bull in to make them gamer and at the end of the day bulls were intentionaly bred for drawing and baiting so a bit of bully goes a long way look at the wheeler types there as game as you like and a bit of bull in a russell dosent do any harm my mate had a bull russell and it could fand just as easy as your other types and far supassed your other types for gameness that dog could take some stick the morral of the story is dont put a type of dog down until you have ownd one or seem one work for yourself

Iagree with you here in eire 30 to 40 year ago there was a lot of bullxrussell then the black dogs came on the scene everyone wanted one and the bullx got left behind by most men where im from you could pick a russell type of the street back them and bring it out and it would work and im not talking fox pity the way its gone cause theres far more black shit about than bullxs

:thumbs::thumbs:

mind you forty plus years ago,, on the majority of council estates, you could take any old neighbours dog for a good mooch round.

and usualy come up trumps..........

Edited by byron

Thats exactly what i mean,all the old breeding is gone .try taken the neighbours dog now it probebly wudnt go in the field let alone anywhere else.IMHO the black dogs were the runation of the white terrier in Ireland. We all nearly keep black stuff now and hands up i have some myself,but fair play to the lads that are still working the old white stuff

Yeah, we all know if you put abit of bull in there gonna be game, thats pretty obvious. :blink: But a working terrier shouldn't just be about gameness. Cyril breay and frank Buck bred for nose, working ability and cunning to work without getting badly mauled or damaged. A working terrier shouldn't just be a miniature pitbull!! :wallbash: It's more about hunting ability, brains, nose, cunning and of course they've gotta be hard. Just adding bull you loose many of the other attributes. Most patts i see have far to much bull in them!! Is it to look tough, with loads of scars on the dogs...i think so!!! :thumbdown: Yeah anything with bull in it will make a kill, but hunting is about more than that....isn't it? :yes:

It all depends how and what you want your dog to work if people want hard dogs that just get stuck in and get some therapy then that there choice as is the same for those who want there dogs to bay and not get bitten it's all about personal preference and just because a dog has bull in it docent mean the dog it's a worse hunter than the one with no bull in it you can't go round saying bulls are thick and don't no how to hunt because that's just daft bulls are very intelligent don't get me wrong there not in the same league as a collie or an German Shepard for brains but there not thick animals and it's just plane stupidity to say there are just because there not scared to get straight to the business at the end of the day bull or no bull it's the owners choice and no one elses

Ive heard all the arguements about the bull blood in terriers,they wont hav as gud a nose so finding ability weakons. They havnt got the same stayin power as a pure terrier and the real shit one thyat they will be too big for earth work, all a load of bollox in my mind. we bred a staff to a patt and every one of the litter were easy spannable. I put the one i hav a dog in a huge place yesterday morning and he found and stayed till dug no prob and he wont get pushed about so its one dig everytime'Ive seen plenty of dogs just when your about to break through get pushed and thats where it matters cause the last 6in is when the presure comes on the terrier.I keep black stuff ive kept russells gud and bad but the bullx is doing what i want it to do my point is dont knock them till you,ve tried them

Ive heard all the arguements about the bull blood in terriers,they wont hav as gud a nose so finding ability weakons. They havnt got the same stayin power as a pure terrier and the real shit one thyat they will be too big for earth work, all a load of bollox in my mind. we bred a staff to a patt and every one of the litter were easy spannable. I put the one i hav a dog in a huge place yesterday morning and he found and stayed till dug no prob and he wont get pushed about so its one dig everytime'Ive seen plenty of dogs just when your about to break through get pushed and thats where it matters cause the last 6in is when the presure comes on the terrier.I keep black stuff ive kept russells gud and bad but the bullx is doing what i want it to do my point is dont knock them till you,ve tried them

Just out of curiosity does he bark?

He dosent sound very much just maybe on his way up to his game then he is silent ,but like most he will eventually meet better than himself and be happy to sound id rather he did ,but cant have it everyway.He is only young so in time he should learn, ive seen good hard black dogs start mute but through time they sounded.He is noy gettin broke up so i dont mind dug him twice in last week so not so bad

shes does what we want goes in and kills no waiting about for the dog to settle there fore we get alot more digs in a day than we would with a patt and she dosnt take much damage so shes ready to go anytime

that nonsense gav proper digging dogs are not mute hard they need too work there quarry with brains i ve owned hard dogs and there s two in kennnells at moment one has eventually settled down after nearly 3 seasons work the other is still very hard and sometimes the hard dog can make a mess of a straight forward dig by spooking the quarry and not letting it settle the addition of bull blood should not be for aggression as bogger says if your terrier lacks courage then all the bull blood in the world wont help its time too look a better strain of terrier the bull will only benifit the good proper working strains but has too be used at right time by people who know what there doing

that bitch has yet to bark the ony thing we ever hear is her growling

havent read the etire thread yet mate... but i had a terrier like yours and if he learned to bark it would have been a good thing but mine just learned to stand back and stare at his oponent like a zombie... time will tell!!

He dosent sound very much just maybe on his way up to his game then he is silent ,but like most he will eventually meet better than himself and be happy to sound id rather he did ,but cant have it everyway.He is only young so in time he should learn, ive seen good hard black dogs start mute but through time they sounded.He is noy gettin broke up so i dont mind dug him twice in last week so not so bad

Some of the old timers bred them down to one eight bull on both sides.I seen and worked a few of them they were gamey little dogs.

Had them as well liam, tough little dogs that is the plan im hoping for its a gud few years away but we will see . I had a3/4 russell back about 36 year ago .He worked hard up until he was 16 .Iactually used him with a hound pack for 2 seasons he was 14 and 15 then he had a great voice and was happy to yap all day as long as the game didnt come to him, one of the best dogs i ever owned or worked he eventually died in his sleep .RIP SPOT

Here in the States if your working in the ground abosolutly no need. Really no need at all as there are fine terriers about that do the days work and are down from a family of fine dogs. I see allot of that getto sh#t going on were one gets one because they look like a small apbt or market as such to non-hunting buyers. If the dog line is lacking imo its the easy way out to add bull blood. BUT BUT as I speak I have 3 terriers with APBT in them for one reason only SIZE. I recently moved out west and needed a bigger dog to do coyotes. To get a terrier that is 30 plus pounds you have to put somthing in there.....

• Like 1