.25 or .22 calibre for a change.

zini

hi si buddy, sorry to hear you're having issues mate

i had the same problem with .177 a couple of years back, and when i switched to .20 i found that it wasn't happening as much(obviously i had runners still,as we all do occasionally) but i was using logun penetrators and they weigh almost the same as most of the medium weight .22 pellets. i put it down to over penetration and i think your analogy with the hockey ball is spot on(a pal of mine compared .177 to poking the quarrys head really hard with a finger,whereas .22's like punching summat in the temple!), although it seems a shame to get shot of a lovely tool so early in its career- especially if you are considering doing some HFT later on, cos i would've thought it perfect for that mate.

i've found that .22 just bowls 'em over stone dead, and to be honest wouldn't consider owt else for hunting(unless i can find an old lincoln jeffries in .25 but thats another story...) but .25 is supposed to be absolutely devastating- i think a lad on the bsa forum has a tenched .25 ultra and loves it. be a different and potentially exciting avenue of airgunning to explore tho!!

dont get me wrong, i'm not knocking .177, it just wasnt for me!

all the best mate, wurz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi John,

Spot on buddy thanks.

Yep, I and LJ have spoken and Im keeping the .177 Ultra mate, shes too good to let go.

Tench even commented on the BSA owners group to one of my posts that my Ultra was tuned that well he wanted it back for himself.

He was obviously having a laugh but a joke like that from a man of his calibre as some meaning doesnt it buddy?

As you say when we get back to the UK in 1.5 to 2 years time and we have a go at HFT the Ultra will be a very handy tool to have.

Dont get me wrong John it destroys vermin just like a fat kid eats cake, but Im noticing a difference in role overs and 1 to 5 metres movers.

Ill try a softer pellet like a Falcon Accuracy Plus and then post my results.

Hi Darren no hard feelings taken mate, I do get a little hot headed sometimes mate and do apologise to you for my quick reply buddy :thumbs: .

Si

Edited by zini

Hi Si

I've had similar experiences shooting Pigeons with a .177 and harder pellets. Not often, but it was the principle reason for changing to .22 this time last year, primarily for 'instant punch' on pigeons.

With the .177 I was experiencing, to me, an unacceptable level of pigeons able to flap off after being hit squarely in the KZ. I've been told that they are squarely dead, but unaware of it and the shot alone, hasn't caused enough damage, as Simon (Pianoman) explains brilliantly, to cause an instant drop. It's not that we've missed or maimed, but the 'drop' just didn't look clean and still causes you to wonder and question yourself

As is always said, a Kill Zone shot is going to stop something no matter what calibre it is, but I'm glad I'm not the only one to have witnessed the difference in .177 and .22. I have no doubt that a .177 shot will kill something humanely and swiftly but in my experience, possibly not as 'tidily'.

Just my tupence worth!

hi ya si

as you know i am a 177 man but now gone to the dark side of the 22

but even so the long range shots of a 177 are very good and like i said to you before buddy close range they were going straight throw

but i think simon (tench) will agree buddy i know someone who has a .25 ultra and si trust me you will fall in love with it she is running at 11.5 and for close range and medium range i think you would love her so if you are thinking .25 then it would be best when you are over in the uk again i could take you over to my mate for you to see the gun and have ago of it what you think this way you can make your mind up plus this gun is very nice yep it holds 300 shots it has a buddy bottle built in the stock have a look on the bsa forum under ultra then ultra with a difference the link buddy http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21576.0 check it out matey

shay

Fair point Silent buddy.

The key looks then after reading what lads have put is to try a softer pellet with a .177 to see if the spreading of the pellets lead on impact will transfer a better shock wave to the kill zone.

This you think would happen and should cure my issue.

If you watch this small clip here you will also see the pigeon that I shoot with a .22 in the brain still manages to role about a bit in the grass before it dies.

Could this be muscle memory and nerves do you think? I know where the pellet impacted (the brain).

The rabbit and the last corvid dies straight away also hit in the brain, the other corvid wasn’t hit in the brain cleanly and was hit in the neck hence it flying off some before nose diving.

Could it be that woodies have a survival instinct built into them to try and fly when hit and will role about a bit unless you manage to hit the part of the brain that controls movement etc?

More food for thought lads!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpS11f0ClpQ

Si

Edited by zini

hi ya si

not that i know of buddy

i just txt you pal :thumbs:

both my hornet and ultra are both .22 pal

and the ultra .25 does look nice but i cant get him to sell it yet lol he is even thinking of making it a multishot to gutted that would be the ultimate vermin destroyer wouldnt it but i have first dibs on her buddy when he does sell :thumbs:

shay

Hi lads,

Well I have just got off the phone with Shay and the problem as now been sorted.

We are doing a deal.

My single shot Tench tuned and regulated action for his multi shot Trench tuned (last week so i know is in perfect working order) and regulated action.

We are both keeping our own optics, mounts and Twinks and are doing the deal after the 22nd Jan when Shay as a little holiday.

He is coming down to West Down camp in Wiltshire to see me and do the swap.

2 happy bunnies.

The HFT wont be for 2 years anyway and if I want a go in 2 years time I can always get another .177 Tench tuned rifle from Simon later on down the road.

Si

hi ya si

it will be good to see ya buddy and look forward to it to pal i will bring the hole gun up with me so you can see matey but as you know there wont be any issues at all

plus i think brenden will do better with the smaller cal to that will do him just good i think si pal would you like me to bring the hornet up for you to see as well buddy ?

as i think you will like them to just a little bigger than the ultra :thumbs:

if you could send me the full post code to were your at matey by pm or txt pal :thumbs:

and i am looking forward to meeting up pal :thumbs:

shay

Yes will do Shay buddy.

Do you have a sat nav?

If so when I get to the camp Ill mark the front gates in long and lat and then text you the loc mate so you can add it to your sat nav and drive straight to me pal.

Yep I think Brendan will find the .177 action easier to shoot buddy.

I adjusted to it really easily mate. I think there is more of a problem when you go .177 to .22 buddy.

Yes Im really happy as long as your Ultra is all 100% working correctly buddy like mine is and Tench managed to fix the problems with the trigger, power and broken springs mate things should be cool.

I know youre a genuine bloke buddy so to be honest I have total faith in your honesty.

Yep please bring down the Scorpion buddy it will be nice to have a look at it.

Can you post a photo of the .22 Ultra buddy please?

Regards

Si

Edited by zini

Hi Si

I was talking to my Father in law who as a farmer has been on the front line of vermin control for most of his life. He was saying that apparently the pigeon will hear the sound of the pellet before it hits (like on your video with Tony shooting at 80 odd meters), the Pigeon then automatically flights as this is it's only real protection. The pellet hits a fraction of a second later, but as you you say, the last message from brain to body was 'fcuk this and fly', reflex takes over and off it goes until innate reaction and adrenaline run out and thump, down it goes.

The fact that pigeons can at first, fly towards the threat it's trying to avoid when spooked, backs this theory up quite nicely, proving that their most primeval, instinct is to be air born and everything else, like acknowledging the gentle tap of a lead head tickle from a pellet, is second.

I'm still happily hunting with my HW 77 .177 and certainly rate it as neither better or worse than .22, but completely understand that to appease knockers, You Tube numpties and anti's who can twist or read a negative in to something without experience or fact, that you can't have question marks over the humane nature of your shots.

Let me know if you are ever over on Tidworth or Bullford again, it's about a 20 mile drive to the farm and you'd be more than welcome.

James

Edited by silentshot1

Hi Silent shot.

Im there from the 16th Jan until the 13th Feb so yes im defo up for some shooting and filming buddy cheers.

Can you pm me your mobile number.

Si

Edited by zini

hi ya si

Yes I’m really happy as long as your Ultra is all 100% working correctly buddy like mine is and Tench managed to fix the problems with the trigger, power and broken springs mate things should be cool.

everything is 110% running well and she is on the button i will have a look on pictures now

DSCF4560.jpg

DSCF4561.jpg

DSCF4672.jpg

the hornet is the wood stock and the ultra is black

and now the hornet in black

IMAG0176.jpg

DSCF4676.jpg

brenden with his ultra buddy

shay

Quality Shay,

Thanks buddy.

Ill look after her buddy and put her to good use i promise ;)

That action will look really good in my tactical stock buddy with my Hawke scope on top.

Si

Edited by zini