A bad un

Just want to say a big thankyou to everybody who has replied to my post, i have started with the basics today bonding with her playing with toys etc...hopefully in due course i can get her back on my side fingers crossed..think the rabbits are going to have to wait till next season

You have had some good advice on this thread.......if you want to carry on you should try most of it.

Dont beat yourself up too much about givving the dog a slap, you were at the end of your tether and lost it for a moment........you wont be the only person who has ever done that.

All that said, you may just have a mental case on your hands and you will waste a lot of valuable time on something that may never come right....only you know when to make the call on that one.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am no expert on training lurchers. However in my little experience bonding with the dog is paramount.   I started off with my pup trying to train it this and train it that, it just didn't want to

You know a big part of the problem already, hitting and shaking her when she finally comes home, this is just my opinion mate but I think your the problem not the dog, better calm down go back to ba

I never hit my dog.....it would break whatever bond I have with him. When you have a special bond with a dog I believe tone of voice is all you need Build the bond mate....atb

I am not an expert trainer by any stretch of the imagination but havent done badly by my two...and all the advice you have been givern is very good....i have always been taught one thing by my dad who had a spaniel for shooting and by other people dog people i know is you should make the reward treat something different to what the eat on a day to day basis...like a piece of cheese etc....then the dog doesn't get bored of his/hers biscuits....I know it sounds silly but it really worked with my JRT...that and taking her out with my lurcher who is older and very obedient seemed to help her pick it up...maybe you could arrange something like that once you have bonded with her again...it might help...:)

Atb...Miss T x

• 1 month later...

Just a little update on my post from a month or two ago..the dog has got a lot better since my previous post i know there is still a long way to go but she has improved i think a lot of it is just the pup dropping out of her she is now 14mths old..she is coming back to me now i take a few treats out with me to coax her back and dont shout her anymore just whistle...thanks mally and russ for offering to help me out...Im sure we will get there in the end..

027.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

Gaz give me a ring mate, i've no problem her coming here for a fortnight or so if you would like me to have a go with her.

GREAT OFFER.

GIVE IT TO THIS BOY FOR 2WKS.

CHANGE OF KENNAL MIGHT BE THE KEY :thumbs:

Edited by 3 Turns

saw afew beddies and they were wanderers not essy to handle and had terrier drive , nothing wrong with electric collars beter than p t sleep , or passing them on ,last call tho ,ive steerd away from terrier blood as saw afew i would lose the head it , i would treat aterrier cross like a terrier and not give it fredom till it nos whose boss as the instict is there already

Just want to say a big thankyou to everybody who has replied to my post, i have started with the basics today bonding with her playing with toys etc...hopefully in due course i can get her back on my side fingers crossed..think the rabbits are going to have to wait till next season

You have had some good advice on this thread.......if you want to carry on you should try most of it.

Dont beat yourself up too much about givving the dog a slap, you were at the end of your tether and lost it for a moment........you wont be the only person who has ever done that.

All that said, you may just have a mental case on your hands and you will waste a lot of valuable time on something that may never come right....only you know when to make the call on that one.

spot on :thumbs: and what whin said regards beddyxs. My 1st lurcher was a beddyx , and it was a crap animal :thumbdown: far to head strong , never bonded with it. In all the years ive had dogs 40 years(lurchers ,colliexs,bullxs,bitza,whippet,) bullmastiffs,staffs,pit, ) i would say that beddyx was the worst dog to train, now it as Wilf said it might have been mental case. Ok colliexs are quite easy to train, my bullxs were easy as well, bitza+whippet not to bad :thumbs: I know some will say that there beddyxs are no prob, but a few on here have had dogs like the one i had. What ever it is with this x, i would never have one again , (once bitten twice shy) :yes:

Like someone else said - the beddy cross is a dog that works with you, not for you,

and thats the key.

Ive just recently took on a beddy x - only 7 months old,

been out of kennels for 3 weeks now, before that she had nothing done with her,

after two weeks of being with me shes retriving the dummy to hand, whistle training is comming on a treat

and she will recall off a throw, basics are getting there and shes now fully house trained,

recall is 90%, as if she see's another dog - then she just wants to play, fair enough shes a pup

and thats something all pups will do, but shes doing all this for me because she wants to.

She does have a verry strong character and can be crackers at times, but its something that has to be

worked with - not against.

dont give up on her pal,she,ll come good just be consistant with her,atb jamiew

dont give up on her pal,she,ll come good just be consistant with her,atb jamiew

I had the same trouble with my bitch I never got her till she was 14 months she had been passed around to diff people because she would never listen after a week of playing in the garden and plenty of treats she is 100% good luck with her and don't give in 