Hard terrier needs to sound more! ANY TIPS?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just be grateful you got a terrier with spunk in him :thumbs: theres a lot of out there thats not whorth there salt :thumbdown: : i worked a bitch were she get real punish when you looked at her season work she spent more time heeling then digging she bay her quarry but wouldnt give a inch. hope he works out well for ya just enjoy him

All dogs can be broken,they are flesh and bone.In my opinion you shouldn't work any dog sore.Its a recipe for disaster.The dog needs to be allowed to heal properly then he needs to be worked regularly as long as he has healed.With regular work he will eventually find his level and start to work his Fox with respect.

You asked for different methods that may help

I think there is a guy on this site from France.

He may help you by using the dog on heavier game for a while.

I have seen hard hunt terriers in the past that were taught discretion after a few heavy digs.

They were then passed back to the hunt and went on to become useful terriers.

Definitely not worked sore, your hard terrier may only know one way to hunt at the moment.

His confidence has been boosted by bossing a fox.

Bigger quarry would cause the dog to pause.

If the dog was still hard on that quarry you will know that he will never bay a fox.

Then pass the dog onto someone who needs a hard dog.

People who hunt in areas that are not dug, i.e. Fell packs

and must account for their fox must have a use for a dog that finishes the job below ground.

You could swap for a dog that bays its quarry. Not much use for Hunts in those areas.

All terrier men benefit from these arrangements. Friendships are made or strengthened.

ATB.

Edited by p3d

hi there if u are gettin more than 1 dig a day with him u are already workin him sore if he is as hard as u say ive had them after 1 dig and thats it for 3 weeks but no way wud i put them to ground sore my opinion your dog hope it works out for u

I have went and got myself a lovely small patterdale terrier dog,had him bout 6 months now, he 2yr old and extremely game....too game tho!

We have dug over him 13times now...every dig being a success, only problem is he dosn't sound!

Each time i have taken him out i have been hoping he will sound more, rather than him going to grips!

This hasnt happened yet, and as we all know "If a dog is too hard they wont last"...So my question....rather than digging then resting him up till he well again has anyone any methods to make the dog sound more on his quarry? He too good of a dog to ruin!

Thought about working him when he tender, he be less inclined to get lumped in then....but id like to explore other methods if anyone has ideas.....and Yes i know it might only happen with experience, but is there a way to speeden things up?

Cheers lads! :hmm:

if you have the dog 6 months and had 13 digs over him, and he is a hard dog most probable then your already working him sore,so that answers that question for you,he is what he is,let him heal,space his digs,and pick the burrows that suits his style of work

You asked for different methods that may help

I think there is a guy on this site from France.

He may help you by using the dog on heavier game for a while.

I have seen hard hunt terriers in the past that were taught discretion after a few heavy digs.

They were then passed back to the hunt and went on to become useful terriers.

Definitely not worked sore, your hard terrier may only know one way to hunt at the moment.

His confidence has been boosted by bossing a fox.

Bigger quarry would cause the dog to pause.

If the dog was still hard on that quarry you will know that he will never bay a fox.

Then pass the dog onto someone who needs a hard dog.

People who hunt in areas that are not dug, i.e. Fell packs

and must account for their fox must have a use for a dog that finishes the job below ground.

You could swap for a dog that bays its quarry. Not much use for Hunts in those areas.

All terrier men benefit from these arrangements. Friendships are made or strengthened.

ATB.

work him on heavier game for a while.don't think that will work as iv got one and iit makes no difference.

I have went and got myself a lovely small patterdale terrier dog,had him bout 6 months now, he 2yr old and extremely game....too game tho!

We have dug over him 13times now...every dig being a success, only problem is he dosn't sound!

Each time i have taken him out i have been hoping he will sound more, rather than him going to grips!

This hasnt happened yet, and as we all know "If a dog is too hard they wont last"...So my question....rather than digging then resting him up till he well again has anyone any methods to make the dog sound more on his quarry? He too good of a dog to ruin!

Thought about working him when he tender, he be less inclined to get lumped in then....but id like to explore other methods if anyone has ideas.....and Yes i know it might only happen with experience, but is there a way to speeden things up?

he will eventually come across one more stuborn than himself and eventually he will sound just keep at it mate i would not work him sore :thumbs: you could try a pitch fork infront of quarry when ya break through :thumbs:

hi there if u are gettin more than 1 dig a day with him u are already workin him sore if he is as hard as u say ive had them after 1 dig and thats it for 3 weeks but no way wud i put them to ground sore my opinion your dog hope it works out for u

so far i have been giving him handy holes, with respect to breaking in very quickly! The most i have dug him in one day is twice,(which has been one time) both being only a couple of feet deep! Any other time when the holes have been deeper he is only being dug over once!

I havn't worked him sore yet....i have a lot of respect for my dogs, i always give them sufficient time to rest!!!

Things can be easily misinterpreted on threads, plus i worded it wrong at the start of this thread (i apologise for that), i said 13 digs, what i meant to say is we have dug to 13 quarry with this terrier, on a number of times there have been more than one in the pot....he def not bein overworked!

he will eventually come across one more stuborn than himself and eventually he will sound just keep at it mate i would not work him sore :thumbs: you could try a pitch fork infront of quarry when ya break through :thumbs:

Cheers lad! Advice noted :thumbs:

if you have the dog 6 months and had 13 digs over him, and he is a hard dog most probable then your already working him sore,so that answers that question for you,he is what he is,let him heal,space his digs,and pick the burrows that suits his style of work

My mistake, i said 13 digs, what i meant to say is i have dug 13 quarry with him....sometimes there have been more than one in the pot!!

So far i have been picking his holes....but i not fond of that....but like u have said "he is what he is"!

I will just have to work with it! Thanks for the advice!

your lucky to hav a gud dog a lot of lads wud b happy to hav him even if he never sounded i had 1 up till he was 8 dat wudnt sound then he was stolen i never complained bout the way he worked i hav 1 now just started diggin to him and he dont sound as long as he stays till dug to dats what matters then let him heal before diggin again