Hard terrier needs to sound more! ANY TIPS?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ryan161

If uv any respect for ur dog, dont work him sore, let him heal up n work him hard, if hards his style u wont change him, its up to him to learn his trade.. No wonder there so many dogs jacking..

like i side i am not telling the fella to work his dog sore i side we done it and it helped and the dog didnt jack it!!!

i am only telling the lad my oppione

If uv any respect for ur dog, dont work him sore, let him heal up n work him hard, if hards his style u wont change him, its up to him to learn his trade.. No wonder there so many dogs jacking..

your right can soon sicken a dog ...

Da dog easy to read....when he go steady on the locator for any length of time, he almost certainly on everytime...thats not the problem!

Its not that i want him to sound for my benefit,,,,its for his benefit....and i not one for picking and choosing holes?

If you read my first quote i said i want to explore other methods???? Before i would ever try and work him sore....

But if it came to id prefer to work him sore once or twice and see if it could make the difference rather than have the dog destroyed every time i take him out....thinking over the longterm here fella!

like i side i am not telling the fella to work his dog sore i side we done it and it helped and the dog didnt jack it!!!

ok ryan and i told him my opinion, if it worked for you then fine, but in most cases the percentages of a dog working after been worked in that fashion aint in ur favour..

My best advice is, if u want a sounder get a sounder and leave the hard dog to someone who works and knows how to work hard dogs. If a hard dog is all uv got then learn pretty quickly how to work and handle him..

.... Pa

If you read my first quote i said i want to explore other methods???? Before i would ever try and work him sore....

But if it came to id prefer to work him sore once or twice and see if it could make the difference rather than have the dog destroyed every time i take him out....thinking over the longterm here fella!

each of us have put our opinions forward.

at the end of the day,its your dog so your choice.

i wish you both well which ever you decide :thumbs:

Edited by "Earth!"
Guest ryan161

mate ur 100% right i no were you stand it happend to us to i no its not nice diging a dog sore but it can help like you side mate if the doG keeps going out and going in to grips its going to have no face left and you wont get no more hunting with him but its ur dog mate its up to you but it helped are dog ATB MATE :thumbs:

I have went and got myself a lovely small patterdale terrier dog,had him bout 6 months now, he 2yr old and extremely game....too game tho!

We have dug over him 13times now...every dig being a success, only problem is he dosn't sound!

Each time i have taken him out i have been hoping he will sound more, rather than him going to grips!

This hasnt happened yet, and as we all know "If a dog is too hard they wont last"...So my question....rather than digging then resting him up till he well again has anyone any methods to make the dog sound more on his quarry? He too good of a dog to ruin!

Thought about working him when he tender, he be less inclined to get lumped in then....but id like to explore other methods if anyone has ideas.....and Yes i know it might only happen with experience, but is there a way to speeden things up?

Cheers lads! :hmm:

I AM NOT SAYING DO IT MATE! but sum time thats what you need to do dig a dog sore sum times it stops them going into grips allthe time.WEhad 1 hard as fcuk and we had to dig him sore and it helpd a bit he was stil going into grips but not all the time but ike i side i am not saying do it mate.. ATB :thumbs:

Cheers lad....appreciate your advice, what i said would only have been the last resort1

I will keep working over him, hopefully he will learn himself!

Guest ryan161

I have went and got myself a lovely small patterdale terrier dog,had him bout 6 months now, he 2yr old and extremely game....too game tho!

We have dug over him 13times now...every dig being a success, only problem is he dosn't sound!

Each time i have taken him out i have been hoping he will sound more, rather than him going to grips!

This hasnt happened yet, and as we all know "If a dog is too hard they wont last"...So my question....rather than digging then resting him up till he well again has anyone any methods to make the dog sound more on his quarry? He too good of a dog to ruin!

Thought about working him when he tender, he be less inclined to get lumped in then....but id like to explore other methods if anyone has ideas.....and Yes i know it might only happen with experience, but is there a way to speeden things up?

Cheers lads! :hmm:

I AM NOT SAYING DO IT MATE! but sum time thats what you need to do dig a dog sore sum times it stops them going into grips allthe time.WEhad 1 hard as fcuk and we had to dig him sore and it helpd a bit he was stil going into grips but not all the time but ike i side i am not saying do it mate.. ATB :thumbs:

Cheers lad....appreciate your advice, what i said would only have been the last resort1

I will keep working over him, hopefully he will learn himself!

BEST OF LUCK MATE. ATB :thumbs:

ok ryan and i told him my opinion, if it worked for you then fine, but in most cases the percentages of a dog working after been worked in that fashion aint in ur favour..

My best advice is, if u want a sounder get a sounder and leave the hard dog to someone who works and knows how to work hard dogs. If a hard dog is all uv got then learn pretty quickly how to work and handle him..

.... Pa

Again appreciate the advice mate....just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone had any ideas!

We working with plenty of terriers, so not stuck for choice...only getting one or two digs out of the dog each time we go out....and as i said i dont like picking and choosing holes for dogs!

.... Pa

Again appreciate the advice mate....just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone had any ideas!

We working with plenty of terriers, so not stuck for choice...only getting one or two digs out of the dog each time we go out....and as i said i dont like picking and choosing holes for dogs!

i know exactly how u feel mate, ive a terrier here myself n id like him to use his voice more and do less mixing but we have what we have and thats it.. Im sure everyone on this thread have been in the same situation and wondered is there a way of altering there styles, its what attracted me to this topic in 1st place.. And i must say its been a good topic..

All the best with him mate..

... Pa

.... Pa

i know exactly how u feel mate, ive a terrier here myself n id like him to use his voice more and do less mixing but we have what we have and thats it.. Im sure everyone on this thread have been in the same situation and wondered is there a way of altering there styles, its what attracted me to this topic in 1st place.. And i must say its been a good topic..

All the best with him mate..

... Pa

Cheers lad.....good hunting!