Hard terrier needs to sound more! ANY TIPS?

I have went and got myself a lovely small patterdale terrier dog,had him bout 6 months now, he 2yr old and extremely game....too game tho!

We have dug over him 13times now...every dig being a success, only problem is he dosn't sound!

Each time i have taken him out i have been hoping he will sound more, rather than him going to grips!

This hasnt happened yet, and as we all know "If a dog is too hard they wont last"...So my question....rather than digging then resting him up till he well again has anyone any methods to make the dog sound more on his quarry? He too good of a dog to ruin!

Thought about working him when he tender, he be less inclined to get lumped in then....but id like to explore other methods if anyone has ideas.....and Yes i know it might only happen with experience, but is there a way to speeden things up?

Cheers lads! :hmm:

if you have the dog 6 months and had 13 digs over him, and he is a hard dog most probable then your already working him sore,so that answers that question for you,he is what he is,let him heal,space his digs,and pick the burrows that suits his style of work

My mistake, i said 13 digs, what i meant to say is i have dug 13 quarry with him....sometimes there have been more than one in the pot!!

So far i have been picking his holes....but i not fond of that....but like u have said "he is what he is"!

I will just have to work with it! Thanks for the advice!

Not picking his holes might be the answer. Had one that was a bit too mute, after a couple of digs in a day, she found her voice.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your lucky to hav a gud dog a lot of lads wud b happy to hav him even if he never sounded i had 1 up till he was 8 dat wudnt sound then he was stolen i never complained bout the way he worked i hav 1 now just started diggin to him and he dont sound as long as he stays till dug to dats what matters then let him heal before diggin again

Cheers mate....he hasnt put a foot wrong yet....great wee dog!

go on millar ye wee c**t keep up the good work. :notworthy: he's just a hard dog ''da big mc''. i told you that. for the record lads he has ''met his match' so to speak. considering on the scale he is on the small size. pound for pound he won't be pushed around at all. to me the problem factor is considering his size and then the way he works. inevitably the odds are against him in the long term to be honest. so he will have to learn either to bay or i can't see him keeping the same pace forever. hopefully he does find his tongue. :victory: so far it's been a pleasure digging over him. because he's always on the button :toast:

by the way this being a dog i never thought would do a tap and openly stated my thoughts on that issue. i'm eating my words now alright. though thats the way it goes...........MUDD.......

go on millar ye wee c**t keep up the good work. :notworthy: he's just a hard dog ''da big mc''. i told you that. for the record lads he has ''met his match' so to speak. considering on the scale he is on the small size. pound for pound he won't be pushed around at all. to me the problem factor is considering his size and then the way he works. inevitably the odds are against him in the long term to be honest. so he will have to learn either to bay or i can't see him keeping the same pace forever. hopefully he does find his tongue. :victory: so far it's been a pleasure digging over him. because he's always on the button :toast:

by the way this being a dog i never thought would do a tap and openly stated my thoughts on that issue. i'm eating my words now alright. though thats the way it goes...........MUDD.......

Cheers mudd.....u must be sick or you must be looking something,ha,its not like you to admit when your wrong! :boogie:

He will be ready to go again in 3weeks king, looking forward to it!

So your black and tan going to have to do all the grafting tomorrow :notworthy:

I have went and got myself a lovely small patterdale terrier dog,had him bout 6 months now, he 2yr old and extremely game....too game tho!

We have dug over him 13times now...every dig being a success, only problem is he dosn't sound!

Each time i have taken him out i have been hoping he will sound more, rather than him going to grips!

This hasnt happened yet, and as we all know "If a dog is too hard they wont last"...So my question....rather than digging then resting him up till he well again has anyone any methods to make the dog sound more on his quarry? He too good of a dog to ruin!

Thought about working him when he tender, he be less inclined to get lumped in then....but id like to explore other methods if anyone has ideas.....and Yes i know it might only happen with experience, but is there a way to speeden things up?

Cheers lads! :hmm:

just wondering big mc was there a dog sold down to dublin from this line. bought one from fella in antrim last year total replica to your lad. just a question pal.

If uv any respect for ur dog, dont work him sore, let him heal up n work him hard, if hards his style u wont change him, its up to him to learn his trade.. No wonder there so many dogs jacking..

MY VERY THOUGHTS SOUND ADVICE TERRIER WILL BE WHAT HE WANTS TO BE NOT INTO THIS WORKING SORE SHIT MY OPINION REGARDS DABBER

It would appear by the dogs virgin face that you already know how to treat a hard dog after a dig .No chance of working him sore as he dosnt have any .The date of the pic is very recent mate and shows no scarring past or present .Strange :whistling: .

mmmmmmm :hmm: to be frank foxdropper thats a very uneducated statement to be making if you yourself have any knowledge of working terriers. also. anyone that would be foolish enough to take your bait and comment on that issue on an open forum anymore, would be equally as foolish.... :big_boss::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Just sounding you boys out mate ,a lot of idiots on here at the moment JMO mind but thats how i see it .

Back to the thread and my own advice would be to leave him in a bit longer each time you dig .Some terriers go through a phase of believing they are invincible ,firing into everything knowing that you wont be long getting to them ,especially when they get short ,shallow digs .Its not the depth of dig that will sort him out but the time he spends with quarry be it a deep dig or a rooty place .Anyway mate good digging and have a good christmas.