realtree

I've got to agree with Mark - I don't think Real Tree camo is worth the money. Obviously you don't want to wander around in hi-vis clothing, but dark colours and a bit of stealth is all that's needed. You're far better off investing your time in field craft than you are investing money in expensive camo. I was shooting at the weekend wearing plain green trousers and jacket when a peragrine falcon landed on a branch no more than 2 metres away from me. If that didn't spot me what chance does a rabbit have? I must admit that it's arrival ruined my hunting for the afternoon but it was quite a sight and the kind of experience that enhances our hunting trips despite reducing the size of our bags.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very good question that deserves a good answer.   Apart from special services worldwide, the army wouldnt/couldnt waste money on giving all soldiers hitech camo patterns, because they know that ca

Posted Images

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Christ , got the grump there did`nt ya Tony :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

I did a touch didn't I :icon_redface:

My appologies to Les for being both sarcastic and grumpy :sorry:

You know me though Craig, I am Always willing to be corrected :yes: I state it time and time again don't I :yes:

But for me to be corrected, whoever is correcting me must give me the correct info and then I can go away, digest, learn from it and then pass it onto others.

I had seen a documentary on Realtree years ago (saw it on some hunting DVD) it went into a little depth about how it was all started, how the first design came about etc and how the brand or Realtree has changed camo for the better, not that I agree at all with the last part, yes breaking up lines works, for human and animal, but as I said earlier, it won't make anyone invisible.

Field craft is what is most important :)

Phantom

hi

i don't use real tree not because of the cost! because i don't think its suits the backgrounds that i find my self in,the German fleck tan is much more better for my surroundings and cheaper :thumbs:

and have just started to use DPM camo gear,donated by the kind sir himself si-master :thumbs:

i also don't wear jeans,as i got the camo stuff so i don't have to get me jeans dirty :thumbs:

when im ratting warm dark clothes,works for me.as im usually static shooting! but i am thinking of investing in a boiler suit, just its easy to take of and chuck in the back of the truck when ya done,because i am worried about that filthy little fooker im shooting and the disease it Carry's.here a few bad story's about it lately, so the utmost precaution i must take :thumbs:

regards

davy

Don't forget there are other makes out there.

Realtree is just one brand (and very costly too)

Camo won't make you invisible :nono: it just helps to break up your solid outline and it's that; that helps you blend in :yes:

I use dutch army DPM (even though I have a realtree jacket) for all my hunting. And it does exactly that, it Disrupts my solid Pattern (shape) with its Markings.

I've used it to slowly walk right up to a bunny; bend down and pick it up :victory:

Realtree, Mossy Oak, DPM, its of no use what so ever if you don't learn some field craft.

Wich has just reminded me of something I need to do :thumbs:

Phantom

did the rabbit have mixy ? because thats the only way you could have managed that in daylight ... also DPM stands for Distruptive Pattern Material ... not marking .......

the way i see it is if its that good why dont the army use it. what do you need to more camouflaged for dodging bullets or sneaking up on rabbits. plus my mate has got some and you can see him much easier than you can me in my dpm.

Edited by hullhunter

for me personally, its dark clothing, i wear black craghoppers or similar trousers, and a dark fleece/jacket or when its freezing i do have a realtree jacket but more for warmth than trying to get on top of my quarry. each to their own i guess. for tackle tarts its a great excuseto spend cash, for a tight arse like me its a great way to avoid it!! atb :thumbs:

the way i see it is if its that good why dont the army use it. what do you need to more camouflaged for dodging bullets or sneaking up on rabbits. plus my mate has got some and you can see him much easier than you can me in my dpm.

A very good question that deserves a good answer.

Apart from special services worldwide, the army wouldnt/couldnt waste money on giving all soldiers hitech camo patterns, because they know that camo is nothing compared to fieldcraft and there are less soldiers with good fielcraft.

Those units that do all the things you all love to see in the films, they may get special camo's that are environment specific, and they need all the help they can get, as they are in places that would either make you physically sick with nerves or turn you in to a zombie - yes they do need and get the gucci kit.

Fieldcraft, fieldcraft,fieldcraft, I have mates who were 45 commando snipers, they could dissapear in a field/hedgerow in a couple of minutes just using natural folliage and no DPM on the way back from the pub for a laugh.

At the end of the day the military does understand that camo for its troops goes someway to helping them be a little more concealed, hence the millions poured in to the research and development of the UK forces new camo pattern.

And I agree, who needs camo more, troops or rabbit hunters, hell its the troops, I could wear a head to toe white plastic paint sprayers overall and stand against a white wall/background, I bet I could do it in a very busy crowded place and not many would notice me, But, if I move just a bit all eyes will spot that - fieldcraft - its not what you wear, its how you move.

You can go hunting in a full breakdown recoveryman hi viz jacket and trousers, day or night and still get your quarry, so long as your field craft is good.

• Like 1

You can go hunting in a full breakdown recoveryman hi viz jacket and trousers, day or night and still get your quarry, so long as your field craft is good.

Aint that the truth ask the Yanks!

They have to wear hi vis or take the risk of getting shot by a 'fellow hunter'

A very good question that deserves a good answer.

Apart from special services worldwide, the army wouldnt/couldnt waste money on giving all soldiers hitech camo patterns, because they know that camo is nothing compared to fieldcraft and there are less soldiers with good fielcraft.

Those units that do all the things you all love to see in the films, they may get special camo's that are environment specific, and they need all the help they can get, as they are in places that would either make you physically sick with nerves or turn you in to a zombie - yes they do need and get the gucci kit.

Fieldcraft, fieldcraft,fieldcraft, I have mates who were 45 commando snipers, they could dissapear in a field/hedgerow in a couple of minutes just using natural folliage and no DPM on the way back from the pub for a laugh.

At the end of the day the military does understand that camo for its troops goes someway to helping them be a little more concealed, hence the millions poured in to the research and development of the UK forces new camo pattern.

And I agree, who needs camo more, troops or rabbit hunters, hell its the troops, I could wear a head to toe white plastic paint sprayers overall and stand against a white wall/background, I bet I could do it in a very busy crowded place and not many would notice me, But, if I move just a bit all eyes will spot that - fieldcraft - its not what you wear, its how you move.

hi markha

fieldcraft - its not what you wear, its how you move.

too true my friend, too true!! :thumbs::thumbs:

regards

davy

did the rabbit have mixy ? because thats the only way you could have managed that in daylight ... also DPM stands for Distruptive Pattern Material ... not marking .......

Hey guy's n gal's did that rabbit on the video have myxie? NO did it feck! Do a search for "Does Camo Work" and you will see for yourself :yes:

As for Disruptive Pattern Material, Since when did a tiger wear Material?

Since when did Tanks, Aircraft and (until RADAR rendered it's use obsolete) when did Military War Ships Dress in MATERIAL?

Now according to the DPM Appreciation Sociaty its MARKINGS, According to the History Channel its MARKINGS and don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia (I can go onto the page and change or edit it to MARKINGS or MORONS if I wanted to! thats the beauty of a WIKI anyone can add to or change the info)

The Material came into fashion when it became trendy to wear DPM clothes.

According to most historians its Markings and according to a local builder its Damp Proof Membrane :tongue4:

So guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one :thumbs:

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

bugger double post :icon_redface:

Edited by Phantom

Actually guy's Field craft is more than just how you move, its also about your ability to blend in, camo or concealment totally differant things in my eyes and in the military camo, = blend in, concealment = to hide totally.

I'd like to see a Sniper out in a theatre of war wear a high vis vest :11:

Movement is only one part of field craft, lets face it, if you've been as slow and as possible and have managed to get within your kill range and your hidden behind a clump of nettles then you spark up a fag before taking a shot, or have a good fart or you stick on the latest Iron Maiden CD (or Take That ot Boy Zone if your that way inclined) or decide your BO is a little strong so you decide to have a quick blast of the Lynx is your quarry gonna hang around? :no: :11:

Field Craft is considdered an art, as well as a Science and involves lots of things that improve your ability to hunt :thumbs:

Phantom

Hey guy's n gal's did that rabbit on the video have myxie? NO did it feck! Do a search for "Does Camo Work" and you will see for yourself :yes:

As for Disruptive Pattern Material, Since when did a tiger wear Material?

Since when did Tanks, Aircraft and (until RADAR rendered it's use obsolete) when did Military War Ships Dress in MATERIAL?

Now according to the DPM Appreciation Sociaty its MARKINGS, According to the History Channel its MARKINGS and don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia (I can go onto the page and change or edit it to MARKINGS or MORONS if I wanted to! thats the beauty of a WIKI anyone can add to or change the info)

The Material came into fashion when it became trendy to wear DPM clothes.

According to most historians its Markings and according to a local builder its Damp Proof Membrane :tongue4:

So guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one :thumbs:

Phantom

where am i supposed to be looking for this video ??? anyway whether` you picked up a rabbit or not if you cant naturally blend into your surroundings then no amount of fieldcraft is going to help you ... remember the 5 S's are key and any one of them will give your position away ........

where am i supposed to be looking for this video ???

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: theres' some lazy buggere on here :yes:

I have already given you the search string and my name will also point you to it :yes: what part of "DO A SEARCH FOR" do you not you understand ? (I'd help you out if you were a newbie or even a little more friendly)

Jeez for a Boy Scout I'm getting to be as bitchy as the rest of the Girl's with PMT in the other sections aint I? :11:

anyway whether` you picked up a rabbit or not if you cant naturally blend into your surroundings then no amount of fieldcraft is going to help you ... remember the 5 S's are key and any one of them will give your position away ........

What have I been saying :doh:

FIELD CRAFT INCLUDES BEING ABLE TO BLEND INTO YOUR SURROUNDINGS, IT INCLUDES ALL THE S's

Dunno whats got into me today :wallbash: It's either stress or I'm just going f :censored: g loopy :blush:

I'll think of a much more calm response for you tomorrow Socks; I may even dig out the link to the video after I've had some good sleep, now wheres me Zopiclone?

Phantom