The lurcher as a hunting companion, or as a killing machine?

defintley companion for me and yes get in there and help with edible quarry but as for pre ban foxes that was a fox dogs job.

if i felt the need to help the dog dispatch a fox i wouldnt be using him because afterall he was bred to kill foxes not hold them untill back up arrives.jmho

spot on :thumbs:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL IDEATION READ WHAT YA HAVE TA SAY AND I MUS T SAY I AGREE WITH ALOT YA HAVE TA SAY WERE ON ABOUT VERMIN CONTROLL OF THE HEAVIER VARIETY GETTING IN THERE AND SORTING QUICKLY HIS TH

but what about that grey area where you have a dog that has never hunted fox and it tackles one by accident when your out after rabbit. i have a little kelpie x grew i wouldnt stand by and watch a lit

I agree Malt, dog hunts with me, not for me, although i'm sure they get 'pleasure' (in the dog sense of satisfaction from pleasing the pack leader) from my pleasure. I hunt because i like to hunt and

but what about that grey area where you have a dog that has never hunted fox and it tackles one by accident when your out after rabbit. i have a little kelpie x grew i wouldnt stand by and watch a little dog like her try and tackle a big dog fox it would be a blood bath.wether big or small a hunter worth his salt should dispatch his prey with the minimum of fuss and anxiety caused to the prey. its your duty and we can all argue till we are blue in the face but wether its vermin or not it deserves a quick and as painless a death as possible.

all my dogs are companions first and foremost what glory is there in seeing your dog with a face like a football after a fox has mangled it?

• Like 2

The dog should be capable of killing what it runs unless its deer I can understand assisting, not wanting to ruin the meat. How would a fox dog learn its trade without testing it a little? Some foxes are easily killed others are not but I can't understand anyone having to repeatedly finish foxes for a dog, if thats the case get something more suited or stick to running rabbits & hares JMO

a lurcher is a hunting companion to me. If my dog catches a rabbit or a hare then i will neck it as quick as i can as its for the table. If my dog catches a fox which I only run single handed then its up to the dog to dispatch it i will intervene if the dog is in danger of its sight or a foot being damaged or it is not killing the fox cleanly. If a dog can not kill a fox really quickly on its own then i would not use the dog for foxes again. A lurcher should not be dependent on his master being there to kill a fox as often the case is he catches his fox far away from help As for deer i think for good reason intervention is a must, to preserve the meat and ensure a clean bleed and gutting. though i dont hunt them as they are very scarce in my area and i think it never been legal. I dont currently live where any of the other above activities are banned. I like to go home with a mixed bag the best hunts are where you get a variety of quarry and feed your dogs and yourself. If we as hunters are to consider our lurchers as man's best friend then my lurcher will never be left to struggle when he is out matched because i am scared to get hands on with whatever he has a hold of:-).

The dog should be capable of killing what it runs unless its deer I can understand assisting, not wanting to ruin the meat. How would a fox dog learn its trade without testing it a little? Some foxes are easily killed others are not but I can't understand anyone having to repeatedly finish foxes for a dog, if thats the case get something more suited or stick to running rabbits & hares JMO

We all know there is dogs for jobs, but to have a dog that is consistant on fox without taking much punishment or taking 5 mins to do the job and also have the stamina and speed to take deer week in week out are hard to come by! JMO mate

A decent fast bullx should be capable though mate, like you said - dogs for jobs :thumbs:

Im not saying there arn't any dogs out there capeable,me for one have seen few! But to get not all bull x EG 1/4 bull 3/4 grey most capeable of taking deer but on the other hand take alot more stick off a big strong dog fox than a 1st cross would and it would be a faster job, on the otherhand not many 1st cross bulls are capeable of catching deer consistanly, unless you have some big fences to slow them up a bit! :thumbs:

bit of a tricky one really this... im sure everyone would agree that if your dog/companion seemed to be struggling, then there and then put on the spot i'd do anything i could to help out. but what if next time the dog is expecting that? and for some reason you cant get there in time, like people said, usually got well ahead of me, and im no slow fatty.

this post is aimed at fox. pre ban, of course. anything i was gonna eat i'd want a clean kill and retrieve, but been plenty times i've necked them, as they are to feed the family.

Edited by BenBhoy

very same guys that say, dog should kill it, are indded the same guys ye see pulling away when a bunny kicks oot :whistling:

get it over an done with, as quickly an quietly as possible, an move on :thumbs:

and also how u planning on killing a fox quickly when it could turn and bite ya ? pre ban

Are you for real? If you cant handle your quarry you shouldnt be hunting it or expecting your dog to do so.

I pity your dogs and your quarry.

a lot on here say a fox dog should not need any help he/she is bred

for the job he/she has to be able to do it on his/her own well what

about deer dogs their bred for that job should they be able to

catch and dispatch deer on their own with no help from the hunter

or is it different rules for different dogs to most on here. myself

ill never let my dog get badly chewed up again and when i can i will have

no problem stepping in and getting the job done quicker.

anyway a great thread the best in a while on here