Anyone ever made a locator?

One of my customers works in electronics and i asked him if he could make a locator and set of collars for me. He said he would look into it this week and get back to me. just wondering if anyone has had a home made set before and if so any tips?

asked the same thing a few weeks ago mate,dell knew someone who made a makeshift locator.

heres a good tip ..... why bother

good enough ones out there if you want to put one on your ferret ..

i personally dont see the point , if you ferret isnt big enough to hold a rabbit you wont need to dig to it

heres a good tip ..... why bother

good enough ones out there if you want to put one on your ferret ..

i personally dont see the point , if you ferret isnt big enough to hold a rabbit you wont need to dig to it

Your right there are some out there but the prices are bloody ridiculous,

I personally see the point because if your wanting to get a good day in and get a good bag size to keep the land owner happy there's no point in waiting about for a few hours for a ferret to show when you can get a locator bleep up the ferret have a good dig and get another rabbit could even be a stop and with a few sat tight!

But at the end of the day its each to there own

Good on you for haveing a go and let us know how you get on!

Edited by Teesdale-rabbiter

i dont want to pay the money for a set chid and i wanted to see if he could make one that works as well as the debens and for how much because i think the profit margin must be huge, it was just a point of interest and a bit of a f**k about but thanks for your input.

well stroller i did ask my dad about making one (he is a wizz with electrics)he said it would be easy but as he is a lazy arse im still waiting :laugh:

if you could find out what parts deben use in theres it would be easy but i aint found anyone who will let me pull there locator apart :whistling:

One of my customers works in electronics and i asked him if he could make a locator and set of collars for me. He said he would look into it this week and get back to me. just wondering if anyone has had a home made set before and if so any tips?

I used to make tbe collars for the mk1s for myself and a few terrier lads.A guy in shooting news was selling the bits needed with instructions on making them,don't know if anyone else was doing them.Saved myself a small fortune on the cost of collars at the time,

Higgins

well stroller i did ask my dad about making one (he is a wizz with electrics)he said it would be easy but as he is a lazy arse im still waiting :laugh:

if you could find out what parts deben use in theres it would be easy but i aint found anyone who will let me pull there locator apart :whistling:

Personally i wouldn't bother unless you can better the current models which have improved enormously both in range and directional pinpointing,but a simple tracking device is certainly easy enough to make.

Deben have supposedly used parts / electronic components with the numbers and codes removed to stop people copying them..Although Id say if tasked any chinese firm would soon come up with the goods.

But maybe it wouldnt be all that much cheaper? The one available does the job to good effect. The box and locator you get as a package isnt too badly priced, its when you have a few ferrets and need collars for them all it starts to get expensive!

I do wish they would remove that annoying geiger counter sound from it though and put the old clicking sound back.

i was told that if you have the collar you can use one of those portable battery radios to tune into the frequency, im not sure if this is utter bullsh1t though.

Its true years ago we used to use a cheap small pocket transistor radio that could pick the mk1 collar up on long wave the volume determining the depth plus if you got caught locators would be another item aswell as nets the courts would confiscate:thumbs:

Deben have supposedly used parts / electronic components with the numbers and codes removed to stop people copying them..Although Id say if tasked any chinese firm would soon come up with the goods.

But maybe it wouldnt be all that much cheaper? The one available does the job to good effect. The box and locator you get as a package isnt too badly priced, its when you have a few ferrets and need collars for them all it starts to get expensive!

I do wish they would remove that annoying geiger counter sound from it though and put the old clicking sound back.

one reason i got rid of mine