Obviously with young terriers TT you have to do a lot of listening to learn about your youngster and how he's doing. With the workers I like to think I know what's going on. Obviously it helps if you know the ground your working too.

As for tieing terriers to a bar. It seeems that on the rare occassion I do need a bar I turn around to get it and some **** has tied his terrier to it,LOL.

Always have a terrier on a chain and pin as tools are for digging with and when a man is holding terriers he can't be digging. Although this suits some lads, LOL.

I bet that suits an awful lot of lads lol.

What do you mean by a pin? Not the corkscrew type?

Kyle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i always carry a bar, not the t type but one with a pistol type handle. i find it handy for climbing out of ditches or bashing cover or as a walking stick as well as for breaking trough on a dig.

i carry mine all the time.

What length is that bar mate? Looks quite handy and easy to carry. What diameter is it?

Cheers Kyle

Obviously with young terriers TT you have to do a lot of listening to learn about your youngster and how he's doing. With the workers I like to think I know what's going on. Obviously it helps if you know the ground your working too.

As for tieing terriers to a bar. It seeems that on the rare occassion I do need a bar I turn around to get it and some **** has tied his terrier to it,LOL.

Always have a terrier on a chain and pin as tools are for digging with and when a man is holding terriers he can't be digging. Although this suits some lads, LOL.

Kyle

The corkscrews will hold most dogs but they tangle and get caught up in anything. I usually buy a cheap poker and cut it to 10 or 11 inches and put it on a 6 foot long chain making sure there's a swivel on it too. A terrier can then be pegged out in the field where he can be seen and not in danger of hanging himself or using up a tool. In good ground this would hold a couple of terriers.

Kyle

The corkscrews will hold most dogs but they tangle and get caught up in anything. I usually buy a cheap poker and cut it to 10 or 11 inches and put it on a 6 foot long chain making sure there's a swivel on it too. A terrier can then be pegged out in the field where he can be seen and not in danger of hanging himself or using up a tool. In good ground this would hold a couple of terriers.

Thanks for the reply bud :thumbs:

Kyle

i think neil its a matter of what you been brought up with iv never seen any proper digging men not bring a bar down our way i used a 4 foot 25mm steel bar always have before i had a box and now i have bf still bring it b*****d to carry certain places for example winded day beside a river had dog down 5 meters last year bf straight down got it down to 200 could here dog breathing after 8 hours with hole so deep and dangerous the bar was a god sent there pictures on here under topic 5 metrs plus iv never seen anyone damage a terrier agound with a bar i wouldnt not let someone f**k about with a bar when my dogs aground

• 2 months later...

not a big fan of the T bar either but they can be usefull sometimes but that said we never take one to the dig and always get the job done jmho

ive been out wit u a few times over the years and u always had a bar wit u wasnt it tom who taught u how to use 1 haha

I use a 1/2 inch T bar approximately 5' tall. For the rest of the world, thats 12.7 mm in diameter and 1524 mm tall. One thing that I never understood about alot of peoples choice in T bar design is the length of the T. I only use about a 127 mm piece for the T.

On this side of the pond a T bar can be pretty usefull. Ofcourse it is great for a back up locator but it has many other uses aswell. Our game can be pretty small and elude terriers quite often. The woodchucks we have back fill there holes to fool the dogs as on of their "GO TO" techniques. The bar comes in handy in these situations if you need to find the tube. A bit of prodding around and the tunnel can be found and the chase can again come alive.

As a safety measure or potential terrier life saver, the prod can be a quick way to get your terrier some fresh air and a ventilation hole for the dreaded skunk encounter. The ideal thing to do is dig the dog out asap but if you run into an obstruction then the prod is a way to poke around and create some passages for airflow.

I use a 1/2 inch T bar approximately 5' tall. For the rest of the world, thats 12.7 mm in diameter and 1524 mm tall. One thing that I never understood about alot of peoples choice in T bar design is the length of the T. I only use about a 127 mm piece for the T.

On this side of the pond a T bar can be pretty usefull. Ofcourse it is great for a back up locator but it has many other uses aswell. Our game can be pretty small and elude terriers quite often. The woodchucks we have back fill there holes to fool the dogs as on of their "GO TO" techniques. The bar comes in handy in these situations if you need to find the tube. A bit of prodding around and the tunnel can be found and the chase can again come alive.

As a safety measure or potential terrier life saver, the prod can be a quick way to get your terrier some fresh air and a ventilation hole for the dreaded skunk encounter. The ideal thing to do is dig the dog out asap but if you run into an obstruction then the prod is a way to poke around and create some passages for airflow.

The bar is an essential piece of Kit without which you cannot locate precisely or give air in tight tube situations it also allows you to listen in on the 'rumble in the jungle' without getting too wet!