The most over rated, over used piece of kit. Lads spend small fortunes on finders and never bother their arses learning how to use them and then depend on a piece of steel that in most cases only hinders a terrier at his work.

so you all joined hand and had a séance to locate your terrier that had been to ground for hours

and was mute , ear to the ground better than a t five or six inches in to the ground to listen

prey tell all how you located your superior terriers and tube , trenching , not being a smart

just like to know , as the old men many long gone , used them , and used them successfully

yes the location systems of today are superior , but a t is still a Handy bit of history

to fall back on , never dug by pylons , or a railways line and you bf goes haywire

I thought we were talking about nowadays as the original post was about getting a new bar.

Tell me this, why do lads put a collar on the terrier then locate the terrier and then sink a bar to verify that the terrier is indeed there?

Doesn't say much for the system you've bought or your ability to use it.

Bars can injure terriers and quarry, they also put more pressure on quarry to move and they show a terriermans lack of confidence in his terrier if he has to sink a hole.

Yes bars are usefull when a locator fails and they are usefull when a fox is in a tight spot. They are usefull in shale too.

But the vast majority of lads use the bar on most routine digs because they are unsure what they are doing.

And yes I carry a bar in my vehicle, I carry 3 in fact.

Years ago quarry was located by ear, fieldcraft, terriers that sounded but didn't stay and a heavy terrier or two at the end when the game needed to be pulled back and out. Men in those days could also use shovels well and mute terriers were rare and unwanted by most.

And Mushray, how the f**k have you suddenly learned a bit about digging???

so what location system do you use cause iv tried one or two and they can be a bit off until you find the right one

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive only seen 2 lengths quoted,36" and 48" if you dont know how to find a terrier working a fox at that depth without shoving a bar in youre either deaf or have no sense of feeling in your body,never needed one.

Im sure nobody would need to probe at 3-4' its obviously so you can probe while standing.

Kyle

That makes about as much sense as Alexi Sayle,you push and it gets shorter mate or you arent fukin using it at all :blink: But wtf do i know?

I would be using it with a locator, and probably just the last 18" to a foot, so I would still be able to stand.

Kyle

Ok kyle that makes perfect sense,good luck with your digging.

I use the barryvox which I find 100% and we use the B+F too and like a lot of people I found that I might go to one side of the terrier but have got the knack now and am usually spot on.

As for listening to the terrier? If a terrier has a good voice you'll usually hear him deeper than any bar and if he's mute, what's there to hear other than bumping.

By leaving a locator lieing on the ground and watching it you'll find all you need to know about what your terrier is doing under ground ie. digging on or makeing room for himself. If you need to sink a hole to know what the terrier is doing then IMO it means you don't know your terrier.

I use the bravos which I find 100% and we use the B+F too and like a lot of people I found that I might go to one side of the terrier but have got the knack now and am usually spot on.

As for listening to the terrier? If a terrier has a good voice you'll usually hear him deeper than any bar and if he's mute, what's there to hear other than bumping.

By leaving a locater lien on the ground and watching it you'll find all you need to know about what your terrier is doing under ground IE. digging on or making room for himself. If you need to sink a hole to know what the terrier is doing then IMO it means you don't know your terrier.

so you don't dig to your terrier , you just watch the reading on the box ,

you never had the need to use a t since you acquired a Barry or bf oh what

a perfect world you live in , are you digging to artificial earths,

, so you go with a Barry , terrier and nothing else bolt 100% and

every thing ends, happily ever after, i am being facetious but

there are young lads on here who might take you literally

About a year ago started to use the bar, but before it our Deben location system was enough for us. When we found the dog under us, just put the box to the ground, give them more 5 minutes, and if they were still there, we started to dig them out.

A year ago we experienced the mentioned situation when the box displayed 0,3 everywhere, and then the bar was very very useful for us.

The best thing is to put both of them to the backpack.

i love nothing more but to get that drop with a bar.

dont ask me why but always bring one

but i will say i have seen too many muppets out there

risk their dog getting bad injury when under ground

with the pressure they use to find a tube.

and i know some lads i think are decent enough terriermen

that have terriers that will take hold on the slightest sign

of a break through and for this reason these lads would

rather wait and not use a bar to save injury to dog and get more digs out of their terrier

mack

we always have one in the jeep but dont really use it alot except if the box fucks around.i find listening to the ground were i get a mark is just as good..saying that who here would dig without haveing a good listen to what the dogs at frist not many.i would have to disagree with you neil about looking at the box and knowing what the dogs at it gives a fair idea i know what you are saying but i like to listen to the dog work before i dig every man has their own way of doing things this works for me.if not used for droping the hole great for tieing dogs to :) .

Obviously with young terriers TT you have to do a lot of listening to learn about your youngster and how he's doing. With the workers I like to think I know what's going on. Obviously it helps if you know the ground your working too.

As for tieing terriers to a bar. It seeems that on the rare occassion I do need a bar I turn around to get it and some **** has tied his terrier to it,LOL.

Always have a terrier on a chain and pin as tools are for digging with and when a man is holding terriers he can't be digging. Although this suits some lads, LOL.