• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most over rated, over used piece of kit. Lads spend small fortunes on finders and never bother their arses learning how to use them and then depend on a piece of steel that in most cases only hinders a terrier at his work.

so you all joined hand and had a séance to locate your terrier that had been to ground for hours

and was mute , ear to the ground better than a t five or six inches in to the ground to listen

prey tell all how you located your superior terriers and tube , trenching , not being a smart

just like to know , as the old men many long gone , used them , and used them successfully

yes the location systems of today are superior , but a t is still a Handy bit of history

to fall back on , never dug by pylons , or a railways line and you bf goes haywire

Edited by gonetoearth

The most over rated, over used piece of kit. Lads spend small fortunes on finders and never bother their arses learning how to use them and then depend on a piece of steel that in most cases only hinders a terrier at his work.

so you all joined hand and had a séance to locate your terrier that had been to ground for hours

and was mute , ear to the ground better than a t five or six inches in to the ground to listen

prey tell all how you located your superior terriers and tube , trenching , not being a smart

just like to know , as the old men many long gone , used them , and used them successfully

yes the location systems of today are superior , but a t is still a Handy bit of history

to fall back on , never dug by pylons , or a railways line and you bf goes haywire

I thought we were talking about nowadays as the original post was about getting a new bar.

Tell me this, why do lads put a collar on the terrier then locate the terrier and then sink a bar to verify that the terrier is indeed there?

Doesn't say much for the system you've bought or your ability to use it.

Bars can injure terriers and quarry, they also put more pressure on quarry to move and they show a terriermans lack of confidence in his terrier if he has to sink a hole.

Yes bars are usefull when a locator fails and they are usefull when a fox is in a tight spot. They are usefull in shale too.

But the vast majority of lads use the bar on most routine digs because they are unsure what they are doing.

And yes I carry a bar in my vehicle, I carry 3 in fact.

Years ago quarry was located by ear, fieldcraft, terriers that sounded but didn't stay and a heavy terrier or two at the end when the game needed to be pulled back and out. Men in those days could also use shovels well and mute terriers were rare and unwanted by most.

And Mushray, how the f**k have you suddenly learned a bit about digging???

But the dogs of yesterday were a bus ride away from way from what is about these days firstly in the day of the olds two dogs was common place a hard dog was useless many a dog that was hard was put to sleep the modern day locator has changed the fashion for a hard dog years back lads would spend hours listening and probin with bars to locate there dogs and then another few hours diggin to them now adays we tip in locate and dig out some could argue not a test a they use to get maybe so but o would like to add I use a bar not always but enough and I also know how to use a bellman how many times has the bar helped on the final few inch to locate your dog when you are gettin 0.3 all over in the dig a bar is if used correctly a wonderful piece of kit

Edited by fmwtc
Guest busterdog

But the dogs of yesterday were a bus ride away from way from what is about these days firstly in the day of the olds two dogs was common place a hard dog was useless many a dog that was hard was put to sleep the modern day locator has changed the fashion for a hard dog years back lads would spend hours listening and probin with bars to locate there dogs and then another few hours diggin to them now adays we tip in locate and dig out some could argue not a test a they use to get maybe so but o would like to add I use a bar not always but enough and I also know how to use a bellman how many times has the bar helped on the final few inch to locate your dog when you are gettin 0.3 all over in the dig a bar is if used correctly a wonderful piece of kit

:thumbs::toast:

Don't tit about getting things made, just get one of these or something like.

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=2791

Used one instead of a normal probe for years, pushes through better, is as easy to listen to as any thing else, is ideal in baked hard clay, stone and shingle instead of a grafter. Nice to have a listen to whats going on before digging I think.

Oh, and I have yet to injure any of mine or anyone elses dogs with it, not sure about the quarry though as I shoot first and ask questions later :rolleyes:

I use a bar just about every time I dig. But I only use it once or twice a season to actually find the tube, I hate to pierce the tube with the bar.

I rarely use a receiver, although they are handy on the big big places when theres only 2 or 3 pairs of ears.

The bar in the photo is about 5 foot long, I use it for the deep spots, its too heavy to go walking far with along with the other tools. I have another slightly shorter but thinner which I take everywhere.

DSCN0979GD.jpg

When you say 0.3 on a dig... IMO I would be using the spade not the bar, or get on all fours and have a listen. Unless you are coning down.

Don't tit about getting things made, just get one of these or something like.

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=2791

Used one instead of a normal probe for years, pushes through better, is as easy to listen to as any thing else, is ideal in baked hard clay, stone and shingle instead of a grafter. Nice to have a listen to whats going on before digging I think.

Oh, and I have yet to injure any of mine or anyone elses dogs with it, not sure about the quarry though as I shoot first and ask questions later :rolleyes:

:good:

I think you mid understood waz on some digs you get to 0.3 on e bellman and that is as low as they go so I find a quick probe sometimes will locate a tube rather than trench on all over the bottom of the dig this is where the old grey knocker had it's advantages

I thought we were talking about nowadays as the original post was about getting a new bar.

Tell me this, why do lads put a collar on the terrier then locate the terrier and then sink a bar to verify that the terrier is indeed there?

Doesn't say much for the system you've bought or your ability to use it.

Bars can injure terriers and quarry, they also put more pressure on quarry to move and they show a terriermans lack of confidence in his terrier if he has to sink a hole.

Yes bars are usefull when a locator fails and they are usefull when a fox is in a tight spot. They are usefull in shale too.

But the vast majority of lads use the bar on most routine digs because they are unsure what they are doing.

And yes I carry a bar in my vehicle, I carry 3 in fact.

Years ago quarry was located by ear, fieldcraft, terriers that sounded but didn't stay and a heavy terrier or two at the end when the game needed to be pulled back and out. Men in those days could also use shovels well and mute terriers were rare and unwanted by most.

And Mushray, how the f**k have you suddenly learned a bit about digging???

Your a f**ken disgrace and embarresment with the amount of shit comes from your big mouth!!!! :thumbdown:

I think you mid understood waz on some digs you get to 0.3 on e bellman and that is as low as they go so I find a quick probe sometimes will locate a tube rather than trench on all over the bottom of the dig this is where the old grey knocker had it's advantages

get a box that goes to 0.1 or 0.05?