pure whippet or cross?

i live in the north east of england near the coast and want a whippet or a cross i like bedligton whippts to work the beach-banks and souronding areas i also live close to a dene so must be ok there and farmers feilds i wont be lamping or working with ferrets just rabbits during the day early morning mooching sort of thing any help or ideas welcome also pics thanks mick

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

full whippet waste of time ived seen the so called best take no abuse espically if its raining get yourself bed dlington cross

Posted Images

i live in the north east of england near the coast and want a whippet or a cross i like bedligton whippts to work the beach-banks and souronding areas i also live close to a dene so must be ok there and farmers feilds i wont be lamping or working with ferrets just rabbits during the day early morning mooching sort of thing any help or ideas welcome also pics thanks mick

I would go for a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddie for preference.

some lovely whippet cross pups on here :thumbs:

full whippet waste of time ived seen the so called best take no abuse espically if its raining get yourself bed dlington cross

you no nothing about whippets then :doh::doh:

:thumbs: well said chunk, I have in the past put pics up of whippets retrieving all manner of things, much the same as your pair, but they still get knocked especially as mine dont have any SS blood in them.

let me say what I think, if you breed 2 kc whippets together you know exactly what you are getting...kc whippets, virtually every whippet can become a good rabbit catcher etc

if you breed 2 lurchers together you are not sure what you are going to get, and a lot of lurcher to lurcher pups in a litter become what we term as wastage and are unable to catch anything.

HOWEVER a great lurcher is better than a great whippet but imo you have more chance of getting a good whippet than a good lurcher, the lurchers plus however is can can breed for job specific.

Also the wives tale that the whippet is naturally a wimp is just that a wives tale, whippets are made into wimps normally by fat old ladies claiming disability sat in a tax exempt 4wd parked at the side of a show ring.No matter the weather my three are never coated and dont suffer for it

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS JUST MY OPINION

well said brother!

i have a half cross whippet bitch, she's approx 22" and shows mostly whippet, i've worked her in snow, rain, wind etc i've been out walking and got caught in a massive thunder and lightning storm complete with hail stones :icon_eek: i'll be honest i was more bothered about the weather then the dog was! lol

get your self a pire whippet from good working lines, there is a difference between kc whippets, racing whippets and working whippets, make sure you get working type and you'll be very happy

feel free to pm me on advice as to which breeding would suit and please note i do not have a friend with a litter that i'm assisting to sell on, just honest advice which your welcome to listen to and make your own choice...

wishing you all the best with finding a good little rabbiting dog :thumbs:

lurcher lass xxx

I have all ways had a fondness for whippets as they were the first running dogs we had around us as young lads and we used to hunt with them in places looking back that you wouldent let an hound hunt on never mind a whippet .They are a tough hardy little dog the only thing that would worry me nowadays is the temprement on some of them due to intensive line and inbreeding as two that good mates have had out of a well known strain who happen to have been around dogs for 60 years between them have found them lacking abit compaired to the whippets of years ago they were probably just unlucky.atb dell

worked whippits in the past a more recently the last 10 years or so lurchers, as the lad is mainly after day time rabbits then a pure whippit will be fine as would a small lurcher. its his prefferance. the last whippit i worked was a kc reg bitch called fast lady of meliden that was out of sooty sam and silkcut lady, litter date dec 1994. she was a diamond, no amount of rain botherd her. yes she did get knocked up badly but usually when she tackled quarry that was a little bit too strong for her on her own. but she would never give in.

some lovely whippet cross pups on here :thumbs:

you no nothing about whippets then :doh::doh:

ived lamped with boys with these well bred whippets and beddlington cross of my owm she ran them to a standstill the whippets were standing looking at the rabbits