pure whippet or cross?

I love it all whippets are shit and if its not shit well then it's obviously not a whippet. Like any dogs there are good and bad. Bring them on right and they make great dogs, different than a lurcher, but then they are not a lurcher. Some with pure greys, most people refuse to run them because a lurcher is 'better' but everyone i know who has tried thinks they are great. Whippets are excellent and i rarely hear anyone say 'my whippet shivers or rips easy' it's always 'i been out with the best and they were no good etc' which is utter crap. If they were so useless or just a novelty they would not have survived as a working animal.

And i always thought whippets had paper skin until i owned one and it has thicker tougher skin/coat than most short coated lurchers i've come across.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

full whippet waste of time ived seen the so called best take no abuse espically if its raining get yourself bed dlington cross

Posted Images

a couple where KC and some where raceing whippets. i cant talk for all whippets just the one's ive seen. ive owned a beddy/whippet that would and did go to ground at every chance. and gave a good account of himself. :thumbs: to me a whippet is the kc type. the rest are working whippets and all the better for it. they generally have a dash of something else in there makeup. the best small whippet i saw was 1 eighths greyhound it was a cracker. and looked just like a whippet. but then it wasnt was it. :thumbs: not knocking your dogs. just my thoughts on the matter :thumbs:

i dont think the 1/8th of greyhound in the whippet would of made any difference to the dog.

tel me this what does a greyhound add to a whippet bar size

size can be an advantage. and there must be an advantage or there wouldnt be so many big whippets about. mike browns whippets have a dash of greyhound in them i'm told. doesnt seem to be doing them much harm. it would be better if someone with experience of breeding these types of whippets could give there reasons for the cross. as i havnt got enough first hand experience. cs

for what you wont you can not go rong with a whippet good hunting up and fast early pace if bred from good working parents would not go for a raceing bred one as the are a bit fine for ruffer ground. but in saying that any good worker to worker whippetx /small lurcher would do this and the main thing would be a beter coat and tuffer skin iv worked whippets and small and medeam lurchers and the coat and skin is the only down fall but if thay are not going over fences all the time and working in the biter cold thay would be spot on for you :thumbs:

hope that helps

few pics blue bitch and black dog are both half whippet :thumbs:

f_16flprhm_5610c1e.jpg

Twenty-seven with Jess & Caled.

f_16flpqkm_b5102d5.jpg

Fifty with Molly & Fen.

f_16flqwmm_88e6b54.jpg

Sixty-two rabbits with Fen and Caled.

f_16flqwqm_56ee6a5.jpg

Ninety-six rabbits, 32 were taken and then the batteries ran out! The following night, with fresh batteries, we took the 62. Put them all in the pic together as the day before we forgot to take a pic of the 32. So, the 96 were with the same two dogs, two nights running.

blue bitch and black dog are both half whippet :thumbs:

for what you wont you can not go rong with a whippet good hunting up and fast early pace if bred from good working parents would not go for a raceing bred one as the are a bit fine for ruffer ground. but in saying that any good worker to worker whippetx /small lurcher would do this and the main thing would be a beter coat and tuffer skin iv worked whippets and small and medeam lurchers and the coat and skin is the only down fall but if thay are not going over fences all the time and working in the biter cold thay would be spot on for you :thumbs:

hope that helps

f_16flprhm_5610c1e.jpg

f_16flpqkm_b5102d5.jpg

Fifty with Molly & Fen.

f_16flqwmm_88e6b54.jpg

f_16flqwqm_56ee6a5.jpg

Ninety-six rabbits, 32 were taken and then the batteries ran out! The following night, with fresh batteries, we took the 62. Put them all in the pic together as the day before we forgot to take a pic of the 32. So, the 96 were with the same two dogs, two nights running.

good stuff mate

hope that helps

f_16flprhm_5610c1e.jpg

f_16flpqkm_b5102d5.jpg

Fifty with Molly & Fen.

f_16flqwmm_88e6b54.jpg

f_16flqwqm_56ee6a5.jpg

good stuff mate

whats the other half in them

Purebred whippet or grew anytime, anyone who argues the case of a better coat in regards to beddie x's are talking shite as most have linty open coats :thumbs:

u saying pure bred whippet has a bettet coat than a beddlington get a f*****g life next thing ul b saying they have more stamina

Good nights lamping couldn't see a full whippet having the stamina for that

Aye in your imagination. Take it that's not based on going out for lots good nights lamping and having them all ruined by a whippet not being able to hack it? Plenty of people use whippets to lamp all night. A friend of mine lives in a pretty inhospitable part of North Wales in the mountains on the coast and during winter when the frozen rain is whipping off the sea his whippets seem to have no problem 'retrieving' foxes all night several nights a week. If you've no experience don't comment.

Yer i'm not sure about Mikes whippets having grey in them. It's possible of course. I've heard the rumors also but after speaking to the man . . . . . . .

there is also show breeding in them this is definite

For some reason being 'KC' makes folk think it was bred for the show ring. Have you ever had the pleasure of owning or working one of his dogs or spent anytime around the man?

Well to be honest as a rule I'm not really a fan of whippet based lurchers, again its personal preference but if I was purely after taking daytime bunnies I'd opt for a pure whippet, although pre ban i'd go for a whippet greyhound........

Yer i'm not sure about Mikes whippets having grey in them. It's possible of course. I've heard the rumors also but after speaking to the man . . . . . . .

For some reason being 'KC' makes folk think it was bred for the show ring. Have you ever had the pleasure of owning or working one of his dogs or spent anytime around the man?

go back in the bloodlines before u open [bANNED TEXT] mouth

go back in the bloodlines before u open [bANNED TEXT] mouth

Your an aggressive wee f****r aint ya. I have some of his bloodlines sat next to me right now and have had the pleasure of discussing his breeding etc at length with him. How come you didn't answer my questions??

Guest fence_hopper

my bitch is double bred buy mikes glen, she's very hardy, very fast, plenty of stamina carnt fault her she'll make a good bitch in time. obviously not all will make fantastic hunters as in every x or breed.

now there lads is an honest opinion from owning one. :thumbs: