streight collie ferreting dog

hello all, am after a bit of advise after coming home to find my misses has baught a collie (streight)has anyone had any experience in ferreting with a streight collie...and before any comments...i know a greyhound x wouldve been better,but as said, the misses baught it and im trying to make the best out of a bad situation...

hello all, am after a bit of advise after coming home to find my misses has baught a collie (streight)has anyone had any experience in ferreting with a streight collie...and before any comments...i know a greyhound x wouldve been better,but as said, the misses baught it and im trying to make the best out of a bad situation...

i wouldnt rule it out completely, i havent brought my own collies hunting but they have killed rats in my garden + when a neighbours pet rabbit got out at my previous house they hunted it down and killed it.

as well as that my collie bitch along with my old parson that i use for bushing hunted down and caught a half grown leveret in the field next door, i retrieved it off them and re-released it.

my only concern would be that instincts would kick in a little too much + the collie would herd the rabbits instead.

Edited by CarraghsGem

when i was a kid we used to take our border along with us and he did pretty well, obviously couldn't catch over a long chase very easily but was smart and sharp enough to pin bolters, hold rabbits in the net, mark etc. He could tell the difference between a rabbit and a sheep. Its just how you bring any dog on.

in a few books l have read a lot off the books talk about farmers collies taking young hare when the corn is get caught and rabbits in hedges and that .Is the collie out off working collies????

If yea go on you tube type in ferreting on the moors l think the dog in that is 3\4 collie just give you idea off what they can do :thumbs:

A lad near me used a 21-22" collie on the lamp and with the gun. The little bitch bagged a good few rabbits for him. He mated her to a greyhound just before he retired her but reckoned the lurcher wasnt as good as the bitch.

cheers guys..youve given me a glimmer of light...she is farm bred out of working dogs, both dog and dam owned by farmer...she said she baught it so shed have her own dog which i didnt take working but she might be wrong as ive broken it to the ferrets already and the terriers have taken to her good...so far... :whistling: the only fear i have is that it might chase sheep...but directed from the start then it might come good...and then at least i will have a brood bitch for the next generation of grehound x's :angel:out of shit grow roses...

Edited by taffy apple

Had two pure collies. The bitch was the best rabbiting hunting dog i have ever worked, she was amazing in cover and her field craft was a pleasure to watch. I worked her day and night, she was incredibly agile. The other was a male collie, he was a bit more thicker set, very good on the lamp and an excellent ferreting dog. Obviously not got the speed of a lurcher, but collies are quite nimble dogs and mine were very good working small fields and in the woods. Always gave me 110%.

have been using a collie for nearly 7 years alongside terriers and lurchers and he has been fantastic. happy to mark and catch any that slip the nets. not as fast as a lurcher but what he lacks in speed he makes up for with brains. not interested in livestock but is hunting mad

Just take the pup among the sheep as normal, put a long piece of baller twine on her just so you can check her easy. My collie neverhad any interest in sheep what so ever and she was bought off a sheperd at 6 weeks old. My old bitch was broken to sheep and ferrets in no time and was marking holes at just over 4 months. One thing i did notice with my collie was she seemed to treat rabbiting as more of game unlike a lurcher or sight hound. She seemed to have no blood lust as such but she would work all day with great enthusiam. She was just very reliable, you could call her off a rabbit she was right behind, dont think you could do that with many lurchers that is were i get the idea she treated hunting like a game.

i think ferretin moochin bushing will be handy dog, obviously will not be as quick be if you net up ferreting should be fine, you should use her up your local shoot aswell, flushing and retrieving get some funny looks at first but great when see your dog behave better and bring something else to the beat, will be very verstile hunter, get a pic up!

in a few books l have read a lot off the books talk about farmers collies taking young hare when the corn is get caught and rabbits in hedges and that .Is the collie out off working collies????

If yea go on you tube type in ferreting on the moors l think the dog in that is 3\4 collie just give you idea off what they can do :thumbs:

good clip on youtube that mate :thumbs: