Bad news

Evening. after my earlier topic about getting my first ever ferret.I were building a large extension to his hutch and nailed the chicken wire on the front.

i went shopping and on returning i checked if he is enjoying the new extension and found NOTHING :censored: . He had managed to get thought a tiny gap between the wood side and the wire. Ive looked around my garden, hen house and in the street but nothing. ive asked neirbours and post ''lost'' posters in the street.

I feel like and complete w :censored: r and im gutted as he were a good hob that loved me getting him out. :no::o

Edited by beechris

Evening. after my earlier topic about getting my first ever ferret.I were building a large extension to his hutch and nailed the chicken wire on the front.

i went shopping and on returning i checked if he is enjoying the new extension and found NOTHING :censored: . He had managed to get thought a tiny gap between the wood side and the wire. Ive looked around my garden, hen house and in the street but nothing. ive asked neirbours and post ''lost'' posters in the street.

I feel like and complete w :censored: r and im gutted as he were a good hob that loved me getting him out. :no::o

leave the cage open with a nice juicy rabbit secured in it or leave a ferret box with bedding on the floor under cover so it dont get wet. If he comes back you will find him curled up asleep :thumbs:

Hope you find him

never had one escape thank f**k but known plenty lads who have.if theres a way they will find it.hey dont give up hope and i aint just saying that to make you feel better.they have a habit of coming back.get a cpl of live trap cages and set them near the run.with a bit of luck he might just come wandering back.hope he does for you buddy

Its happened to us all ... ask the local kids to keep a look out.. offer them some cash if they find him.. there good at finding things for cash... also knock up some posters & nail them to posts & the shops ........good luck in finding him :thumbs:

Chris, get that hutch finished off pronto, ferrets 'usually' don't go far and unless you live in a very rural area, you might find that a neighbour wakes this morning with a 'strange critter' dancing round their lawn. A domestic ferret, a well kept one, will have no fear of people and will not be shy around 'em, so keep your ears pricked locally and speak to a few, someone will probably spot it today.

Best of luck ;)

I agree with kay ,get the local kids looking offer them a bit of cash it works, I lost one once said to the kids knocking about there is a tenner in it for who ever finds it ,ferret wasnt missing long i will tell ya lol,good luck finding it

gutted for you chris first rule of ferret keeping is a ferret proof hutch, a hob on his own with no jills will spend most of the day trying to get out and as for chicken wire , its no good a ferret hutch has to be in my opinion solid home made, pets at home shat is well shat, you need solid wood and solid galvinised garden mesh at least , you can buy it in sheets in wickes, not that expensive,i feel sorry for you :thumbs:

maybe we should have a pined topic at the top for newbies on suitable hutches and materials , with a big importatnt read this before you go any further, and if they try to post without reading all the basics of ferret keeping they should be blocked from posting on the forum. not dising you chris just a thought :thumbs:

My old polecat jill was an escape artist - if I showed you some of the gaps she could get out you would bever believe me.

Leave the hutch open with a gutted rabbit or some meat inside and check it very regularly.

Mine would always be back within the day - she only escaped twice but came back herself both times.

Hope you get him back bud.

FTB

Ive asked around and post lost signs on every lamppost. i will see the local brats, oops i mean kids later today. His hutch is open with a woodie, dry food( thats what the last owner fed him on) and some water. Ive also got a live trap with a dead bird in near my chicken coop. Fingers crossed.

Jamie M i dont mind your last comment. its a good idea.

Mines been gone two week now and still missing, make sure you put friendly on the

posters. As loads of people have seen mine and just left him as they was scared he was going

to bite.

Ring council (just incase, the worse :( ). Put posters up in shops (incase ones on lamposts get ripped down)

Put reward so local kids go looking but dont state how much.

Log him as lost with rspca hotline incase they pick him up.

Put leaflets through peoples doors. Put some cat food in a trap as its strong smelling (even better warmed up)

Ask postmen to keep an eye out too.

Edited by joe14