TODAYS TERRIERS

I asked what these opinions are based on?

theres a fella that lives around the road from me called dave he has a terrier and goes to shows and on forums and tells people how good his dog is and how many times hes dug it. but dave has never dug his dog and hes a lying co/k :thumbdown: fact

hes the reason for the decline in working terriers :thumbs:

Dave has single handedly ruined the working terrier! :laugh: We all know a "Dave" or two.

Lakeman-nearer the truth maybe? Then again-the "Daves" of this world have always been with us,its not a modern thing.

No offence to any Daves with good dogs by the way.

im not throwing names about dave is a nice fella and bigger than me so i will say no more a.t.b brog :thumbs:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL FELLA ,   DECENT TERRIER MEN NEVER DOUBLED UP............ THEN OR NOW ........................   AND ..... IVE SEEN SUCH MEN TACKLE EARTHES WHICH MANY LADS TODAY WOULD DEEM UNDIGGABLE WIT

i can say im the owner of some lakelands mate yes they can be hard at times but after a few weeks they have a grat jacket on them and you wouldnt think they had seen any work at all.   here they ar

Worker to worker is not enough to perpetrate what i look for in a working terrier .To breed from a dog just because it stays is not enough to keep things right long term .Im talking about the breeding

years ago when locaters were not around, dogs were doubled up more often than not.most dogs are worked single handed now and with the locater a dog can be entered in big earths that in the old days were undiggable for the simple reason that it was too hard to find the terrier in these vast earths. i think modern terriers are easily as good as the "terriers of the old days" if not better. but thats just my opinion as im too young to make a direct comparson.

I've noticed from a few recent threads that some are of the opinion that the modern terriers working abilities are in decline. Are they?-if so, In what way,and why? Lets hear your opinions...........

nothing wrong with modern terriers,its about knowing where to look for one.

theres not as many men in the game now,as there was 30 or 40 years ago.

do you get me

t bar vandal down summer set no any 1 about bud

2500 for a black and tan terrier thats the problem just to win a show.it drives me up the wall and thay dont work them becuse thay are wourth so much money in the show ring.then thay breed from the same dog becuse he wins shows and then you have a nuver top class show dog.then it starts all over again.then before long you have a line that looks good but never been worked.you see them at the shows and thay say o yes hes a good worker with not a mark on the dogs face.im talking lakeland here there ment to be a bit on the hard side.true 2500 for a terrier a joke.

thrs always been shit around well at least from the late 70s early 80s .. internet dont help i think thrs better stuff out thr now than in the 80s and more of it .. wink.gif

The shows are,nt as busy as they were 15yrs ago there are some cracking dogs about loads more than people see or here about, unassuming men with nothing to say or proof working there dogs

Guest boysfaetheblackstuff

2500 for a black and tan terrier thats the problem just to win a show.it drives me up the wall and thay dont work them becuse thay are wourth so much money in the show ring.then thay breed from the same dog becuse he wins shows and then you have a nuver top class show dog.then it starts all over again.then before long you have a line that looks good but never been worked.you see them at the shows and thay say o yes hes a good worker with not a mark on the dogs face.im talking lakeland here there ment to be a bit on the hard side.true 2500 for a terrier a joke.

i can say im the owner of some lakelands mate yes they can be hard at times but after a few weeks they have a grat jacket on them and you wouldnt think they had seen any work at all.

here they are and yes they do win some sshows and have done in the past

mypics195.jpg

dddd016.jpg

the bottom pic is the young dog on the left in the top pic

Edited by boysfaetheblackstuff
  • Like 2

years ago when locaters were not around, dogs were doubled up more often than not.most dogs are worked single handed now and with the locater a dog can be entered in big earths that in the old days were undiggable for the simple reason that it was too hard to find the terrier in these vast earths. i think modern terriers are easily as good as the "terriers of the old days" if not better. but thats just my opinion as im too young to make a direct comparson.

WELL FELLA ,

DECENT TERRIER MEN NEVER DOUBLED UP............ THEN OR NOW ........................

AND ..... IVE SEEN SUCH MEN TACKLE EARTHES WHICH MANY LADS TODAY WOULD DEEM UNDIGGABLE WITH A LOCATOR !!

WHAT ELSE ? .......... WELL........ THERES AS MANY GOOD TERRIERMEN NOW AS THEY WERE THEN ..... AND AS MANY IDIOTS !

THE LOCATOR IS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD ...........

ITS ALLOWED DOGS WHICH ARE MUTE AND TOO HARD FOR THEIR OWN GOOD TO CARRY ON WORKING AND BEING BRED FROM ............

I KNOW MANY WHO DIG TO SUCH DOGS IN SMALLER , SHALLOW EARTHES , THEY NOTCH UP THE TALLYS AND THE MARKS .... AND ........ SOON EVERYONES USING THE DOG AT STUD ............

YET ........... DROP THE SAME DOG IN A....... DEEP............ SPRAWLLING ........ EARTH ....... WITH A QUARRY THATS BEEN DUG BEFORE AND SEE HOW HE GETS ON

IVE SEEN QUITE A FEW THIRD AND FOURTH SEASON DOGS OF THIS SORT FAIL ...... MAYBE IF THEY HADNT BEEN ENTERED IN SUCH A FASHION TO BELIVE HELP WAS COMING INSTANTLY ..... THEY MAY HAVE BEEN BETTER DOGS ...

SOMETHING TO PONDER ? ....................

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

• Like 3
Guest boysfaetheblackstuff

WELL FELLA ,

DECENT TERRIER MEN NEVER DOUBLED UP............ THEN OR NOW ........................

AND ..... IVE SEEN SUCH MEN TACKLE EARTHES WHICH MANY LADS TODAY WOULD DEEM UNDIGGABLE WITH A LOCATOR !!

WHAT ELSE ? .......... WELL........ THERES AS MANY GOOD TERRIERMEN NOW AS THEY WERE THEN ..... AND AS MANY IDIOTS !

THE LOCATOR IS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD ...........

ITS ALLOWED DOGS WHICH ARE MUTE AND TOO HARD FOR THEIR OWN GOOD TO CARRY ON WORKING AND BEING BRED FROM ............

I KNOW MANY WHO DIG TO SUCH DOGS IN SMALLER , SHALLOW EARTHES , THEY NOTCH UP THE TALLYS AND THE MARKS .... AND ........ SOON EVERYONES USING THE DOG AT STUD ............

YET ........... DROP THE SAME DOG IN A....... DEEP............ SPRAWLLING ........ EARTH ....... WITH A QUARRY THATS BEEN DUG BEFORE AND SEE HOW HE GETS ON

IVE SEEN QUITE A FEW THIRD AND FOURTH SEASON DOGS OF THIS SORT FAIL ...... MAYBE IF THEY HADNT BEEN ENTERED IN SUCH A FASHION TO BELIVE HELP WAS COMING INSTANTLY ..... THEY MAY HAVE BEEN BETTER DOGS ...

SOMETHING TO PONDER ? ....................

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

good point :thumbs:

• Like 1

stupid prices for terriers nowadays , people with piles of shite breeding for pure money , years ago digging freinds of mine bred when they needed new stock money didnt come into it , i knew there dogs and they knew mine, if you fancied a pup they where given to you and the favour was given back . and this way we kept a eye on each others and bred from the best , money didnt come into it .

:thumbs::thumbs:

stupid prices for terriers nowadays , people with piles of shite breeding for pure money , years ago digging freinds of mine bred when they needed new stock money didnt come into it , i knew there dogs and they knew mine, if you fancied a pup they where given to you and the favour was given back . and this way we kept a eye on each others and bred from the best , money didnt come into it .

thrs always been shit around well at least from the late 70s early 80s .. internet dont help i think thrs better stuff out thr now than in the 80s and more of it .. wink.gif

some good points being put up, theres always been money in terriers started by the (big) names that many poeoples lines are based on today look at ken gould for example, he was buying full litters off people and sellin them as his own!!! if he aint a dave i dont know who is! do you really think every terrier bred out of good stuff back then made the grade, no and its exactly the same name now :thumbs: