TODAYS TERRIERS

It's not only terriers that this applies too....

I've flow birds for years and over the last few years there has been an explosion of "falconers" flying Harris Hawks and think that if the bird follows on, snatches a few rabbits and catches the odd pheasant, that's Falconry..... Knock 1/2 - 1oz of 90% of them, jump them, get them fit and see the difference :yes: .

Give these "falconers" a musket at about 140g and see how they get on....Or imprint a Gos... Actually DON'T.

Didn't mean to get too far off original subject but it's the same scenario..

It's not the dog or the birds fault.

It's bad husbandry and management, lack of experience and knowledge.

Makes you wonder how many dogs (and birds) could have been better in the right hands

JMHO

Edited by lakeman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL FELLA ,   DECENT TERRIER MEN NEVER DOUBLED UP............ THEN OR NOW ........................   AND ..... IVE SEEN SUCH MEN TACKLE EARTHES WHICH MANY LADS TODAY WOULD DEEM UNDIGGABLE WIT

i can say im the owner of some lakelands mate yes they can be hard at times but after a few weeks they have a grat jacket on them and you wouldnt think they had seen any work at all.   here they ar

Worker to worker is not enough to perpetrate what i look for in a working terrier .To breed from a dog just because it stays is not enough to keep things right long term .Im talking about the breeding

Far from an expert, but I reckon there's as many good dogs/bad dogs/good terriermen/bad terriermen as there always was. The difference is that with the advent of forums like this they all come together and suddenly you see all sides..

Far from an expert, but I reckon there's as many good dogs/bad dogs/good terriermen/bad terriermen as there always was. The difference is that with the advent of forums like this they all come together and suddenly you see all sides..

Well mate i can go back a bit and to put things into perspective about percentages of good/bad/chancers i can say this,

During the 1980's i belonged to a local terrier club,just from memory i would say there were around 50 members[not to sure now]of the 50 members i would say around 7 or 8 lads did a fair bit of digging,another 10 dug a few every year,half of the rest had at sometime dug a fox and the rest couldnt find their arse with both hands,and if anything im being generous.

the best terrier ive ever seen work won many many shows in the summer,but worked all winter and a bit through the summer aswell dug to this dog dozens of times over a good few seasons,and he lacked nothing as an earth dog as many other people would agree,just was a tidy looking dog as well as worker,he wasnt mine wish he had been,went to america in the end to see if they could breed some stuff over there,so why cant you have a tidy looking worker,best of both words id say

Guest hunterside

to many untested and unproven dogs being bred , shit to shit breeding aint going to make grafters

KASH are you listening so think on when you put yer non working lakeland over that bitch then ave the cheek to offer me one i wont buy or ave a pup for free at least the lurcher pup i gave you was out of good work stuff you didnt work that either.

i think it not nesserserily bad terriers . granted there is a few about that are only good for the bullet . but i feel there seems to be alot of "chavs" getting into the game that dont have a clue .

Edited by nathgoon

i think it not nesserserily bad terriers . granted there is a few about that are only good for the bullet . but i feel there seems to be alot of "chavs" getting into the game that dont have a clue .

Hit the nail on the head there mate :thumbs::yes:

• 3 weeks later...

the best terrier ive ever seen work won many many shows in the summer,but worked all winter and a bit through the summer aswell dug to this dog dozens of times over a good few seasons,and he lacked nothing as an earth dog as many other people would agree,just was a tidy looking dog as well as worker,he wasnt mine wish he had been,went to america in the end to see if they could breed some stuff over there,so why cant you have a tidy looking worker,best of both words id say

:icon_eek:

A showy worker......?

Edited by lakeman

Worker to worker is not enough to perpetrate what i look for in a working terrier .To breed from a dog just because it stays is not enough to keep things right long term .Im talking about the breeding of any old terrier that makes the grade just because it stays.Such dogs of unknown breeding are bred every year with unknown results.There will always be a worker amongst a litter bred this way but only good for the short term and soon fizzles out ,leaving the owner to talk of days and dogs gone by and not the here and now .Terrier men that breed consistently good litters ,and there are many about ,will not breed from something that has the history unknown.Someone said in this thread that hard dogs have no place in their kennels ,well i can state this with no qualms at all,that you wont breed consistently GOOD workers without breeding to a hard DOG,dog not bitch .Terriers of today are in my opinion better than of yesteryear .More thought goes into breeding .Travelling to find the right outcross is easier and more lads can be watched at work by the same means .The honest ,grafting terriermen expect more of their charges these days .Duckwing speaks of years gone by and no terriers doubled up but i was there too and the memory isnt that bad .Terriers were doubled up frequently im afraid. This is at least something which has changed for the better with line bred ,single handed dogs in the right hands up and down the country .

Edited by foxdropper
  • Like 2

Worker to worker is not enough to perpetrate what i look for in a working terrier .To breed from a dog just because it stays is not enough to keep things right long term .Im talking about the breeding of any old terrier that makes the grade just because it stays.Such dogs of unknown breeding are bred every year with unknown results.There will always be a worker amongst a litter bred this way but only good for the short term and soon fizzles out ,leaving the owner to talk of days and dogs gone by and not the here and now .Terrier men that breed consistently good litters ,and there are many about ,will not breed from something that has the history unknown.Someone said in this thread that hard dogs have no place in their kennels ,well i can state this with no qualms at all,that you wont breed consistently GOOD workers without breeding to a hard DOG,dog not bitch .Terriers of today are in my opinion better than of yesteryear .More thought goes into breeding .Travelling to find the right outcross is easier and more lads can be watched at work by the same means .The honest ,grafting terriermen expect more of their charges these days .Duckwing speaks of years gone by and no terriers doubled up but i was there too and the memory isnt that bad .Terriers were doubled up frequently im afraid. This is at least something which has changed for the better with line bred ,single handed dogs in the right hands up and down the country .

:thumbs:

Decent honest post :thumbs::clapper:

:clapper::thumbs:

very very true...in my oppinion not too many dogmen around these little warriors...the knowledge about linebreeding, bloodlines and hard selection is very underestimated. a very good post that brings it to the point.

best regards,

C

IMG_0177.jpg

To many lads wanting terriers with big names behind them instead of concentrating on the working ability in those terriers, Ive seen some cracking dogs from lines of hard working terriers being passed over by lads with bitches in favour of the dog with the famous names in its pedigree , it may give some comfort knowing your dog is out of who evers kennel with the massive reputation, but it dont give much comfort when the terrier walks off the job , forget about egos and get to the dog thats worked a good few seasons and whos parents and grand parents worked a few seasons , we can all rush out and buy a choclate stephens/gould/nuttal dog hoping it will have are mates druling with envy but it takes a bit more than that to get to the real grafters ,

more people at it now than ever, also alot more messers who breed cpap to crap, but the real true terrier lads i think have better terriers now than of old, because of the locator, we can work the dogs now where we cou.dnt work them yrs ago, thats just my opinion