TODAYS TERRIERS

i think a lot of lads nowadays just love chucking names about , i couldnt give a fook , if i know the dogs have watched um graft and are up to the job , then thats what i am after , for instance a mate of mine had a bitch given to him , the owner said to hard for him , she made a cracking digging dog , as she got older i said i have a pup off it , he had a cracking dog he put over her , i ended up with a bitch he didnt fancy , she turned out a cracker, no reverse gear , true everytime , lost her on a dig couple of year back , gutted , as has been said it seems terriermens names equals money

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL FELLA ,   DECENT TERRIER MEN NEVER DOUBLED UP............ THEN OR NOW ........................   AND ..... IVE SEEN SUCH MEN TACKLE EARTHES WHICH MANY LADS TODAY WOULD DEEM UNDIGGABLE WIT

i can say im the owner of some lakelands mate yes they can be hard at times but after a few weeks they have a grat jacket on them and you wouldnt think they had seen any work at all.   here they ar

Worker to worker is not enough to perpetrate what i look for in a working terrier .To breed from a dog just because it stays is not enough to keep things right long term .Im talking about the breeding

i think a lot of lads nowadays just love chucking names about , i couldnt give a fook , if i know the dogs have watched um graft and are up to the job , then thats what i am after , for instance a mate of mine had a bitch given to him , the owner said to hard for him , she made a cracking digging dog , as she got older i said i have a pup off it , he had a cracking dog he put over her , i ended up with a bitch he didnt fancy , she turned out a cracker, no reverse gear , true everytime , lost her on a dig couple of year back , gutted , as has been said it seems terriermens names equals money

"no reverse gear" and "lost on a dig" belong in the same sentance mate.

Said this before and its true,the easiest thing to breed are "hard dogs" with no brains,Nuttalls being doing it and making good money from fools for years,if all people want is dogs that enter and plough into quarry you shouldnt be in the game imo.

I know lads like this and they ussually have different terriers every few months,ussually because theyve lost it to ground/its died from being damaged or jacked.

Thats not a dig at this post,you dont say how the dog was lost,but "no reverse" should read "no good"

Said this before and its true,the easiest thing to breed are "hard dogs" with no brains,Nuttalls being doing it and making good money from fools for years,if all people want is dogs that enter and plough into quarry you shouldnt be in the game imo.

I know lads like this and they ussually have different terriers every few months,ussually because theyve lost it to ground/its died from being damaged or jacked.

Thats not a dig at this post,you dont say how the dog was lost,but "no reverse" should read "no good"

Spot on.....

There's old dogs and bold dogs... But no old bold dogs

years ago when locaters were not around, dogs were doubled up more often than not.most dogs are worked single handed now and with the locater a dog can be entered in big earths that in the old days were undiggable for the simple reason that it was too hard to find the terrier in these vast earths. i think modern terriers are easily as good as the "terriers of the old days" if not better. but thats just my opinion as im too young to make a direct comparson.

WELL FELLA ,

DECENT TERRIER MEN NEVER DOUBLED UP............ THEN OR NOW ........................

AND ..... IVE SEEN SUCH MEN TACKLE EARTHES WHICH MANY LADS TODAY WOULD DEEM UNDIGGABLE WITH A LOCATOR !!

WHAT ELSE ? .......... WELL........ THERES AS MANY GOOD TERRIERMEN NOW AS THEY WERE THEN ..... AND AS MANY IDIOTS !

THE LOCATOR IS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD ...........

ITS ALLOWED DOGS WHICH ARE MUTE AND TOO HARD FOR THEIR OWN GOOD TO CARRY ON WORKING AND BEING BRED FROM ............

I KNOW MANY WHO DIG TO SUCH DOGS IN SMALLER , SHALLOW EARTHES , THEY NOTCH UP THE TALLYS AND THE MARKS .... AND ........ SOON EVERYONES USING THE DOG AT STUD ............

YET ........... DROP THE SAME DOG IN A....... DEEP............ SPRAWLLING ........ EARTH ....... WITH A QUARRY THATS BEEN DUG BEFORE AND SEE HOW HE GETS ON

IVE SEEN QUITE A FEW THIRD AND FOURTH SEASON DOGS OF THIS SORT FAIL ...... MAYBE IF THEY HADNT BEEN ENTERED IN SUCH A FASHION TO BELIVE HELP WAS COMING INSTANTLY ..... THEY MAY HAVE BEEN BETTER DOGS ...

SOMETHING TO PONDER ? ....................

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

:clapper::clapper: and add to that the fact that the majority of folk are totally reliant on the locator and have never been without this technology . i also think the younger generation are less patient and terriers are entered poorly and far to early. just my opinion

sometimes its handy to have a hard dog in your tool box its knowing when and how to use it .. hard dogs in the wrong hands never last long -

It depends what you mean by a "hard dog" is a hard dog one that crashes into everything regardless of punishment and eventually kills its fox?and is ussually laid up for a good while after.

Or a dog that can kill foxes regularly and only take the odd bad bite,i know which i would rather have and have had.

Youll find a lot of the tales of dogs killing foxes and coming out smashed is a case of lads not digging the dead fox,but thinking the fox must be dead because the dog is so damaged and couldnt possibly have quit being so game,so must have killed the fox.

Theres nothing wrong with the working terriers today, at least not the ones i see working. There will always be divvys, money grabbers and the show lot involved with working terriers, but they dont effect me so its not a concern of mine. I know the real terriers are safe in the right hands and always will be.

been in the game 29 year , no reverse to me means a dog that wont stash , i lost the bitch when she pushed up tight , broke through and she was trapped tight , she stayed till dug , most grafting terriers will get some damage , i prefer a dog to be where i get a mark , not up and down the tube , just my preference , no reverse doesnt have to mean no brains.

..."I know the real terriers are safe in the right hands and always will be."....

Hope your correct

how many once good terrier breeders started off that way, giving dogs to friends etc, and then got lured in by the odd quick buck .

All the big names in the show scene started out with good grafting dogs did they not?

hard stupid no brainers we`ve got one steves.. he`s a handy tool to have for us .. not everyones type of terrier but he earns his keep for us

wheather its a bayer or hard and it gives you sport hoo gives a fu/k what others think :thumbs:

slightly off topic i know...

but I have a whippet bitch that is hard work and is no world beater but the number of people that have told me to "bang a litter out of it, £400 a pup"....

i wouldnt but i know a lot would

its not that i couldnt do with the money either, but i want to breed from something im happy with work wise.

the same should be applyed to terriers

hard stupid no brainers we`ve got one steves.. he`s a handy tool to have for us .. not everyones type of terrier but he earns his keep for us

Like you say mate do have their uses sometimes,but personally i wouldnt want the type although i admire gameness.

My old dog was very game but used his head with it and killed a good number to ground without getting badly mauled,he developed a knack,yet even when we bred him to a very well tested sensible mates bitch they produced hard dogs,i also bred him to my overly game bitch [expecting the worst really] and the dog pup i kept was turning into a good sensible worker before his untimely death? go figure.