Too Fast..possible or not,

I've seen it in a few threads now,lads write about the dog been too fast, is it possible for a dog to be too fast or has it not yet learned to run clever, i would have thought with enough work that the penny would drop in the dog mind,or maybe alot of them aren't given that long.I know fella's have had talked about this where greyhounds have been involved, Has any of you ever experienced it first hand with lurchers

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they

I want a dog that is fast as can be but when he comes up on his game, he should slow and rate it and then explode and then its all over.

WHAT YOU HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ONE SAY THAT A DOG IS TO FAST, IN 45 YEARS I THINK YOU MUST OF HAD YOU HEAD UP YOUR AR55 THEN MATE, THEN YOU SAY OK A GREYHOUND OR A NON PED WHIPPET WILL RUN ITSELF INTO I

as above, when my bitch was younger and not as experienced, she'd run flat out, and if the quarry turned on a sixpence she was over shooting alot and having to use her pace to get back on terms with the quarry, now shes older shes learned and is more experienced she hardly misses a thing, she might run flat out when slipped to get on the quarries arse but lets off when she knows its not going anywhere and works it well.

edited to say by "lets off" i dont mean farting! thought i'd get it in before some smart arse does! :victory:

Edited by codiethelurcher

ive got a saluki whippet greyhound that i would say is to fast for rabbits ,but i would say that is my fault as i dont run her on them very much if i ran her on them all the time she would hope fully learn to slow down abit and not over run them

A Super fast dog is useless with no experience, you want a dog that will box clever and put its quarry in the right position to utilise its speed. My bitch has just turned 4 and is now I would say at her peak, she gets the quarry exactly where she wants em ( most of the time haha ) and the rest as they say is history.

A Super fast dog is useless with no experience, you want a dog that will box clever and put its quarry in the right position to utilise its speed. My bitch has just turned 4 and is now I would say at her peak, she gets the quarry exactly where she wants em ( most of the time haha ) and the rest as they say is history.

Good answer rex,i think you're bang on there, 4 years old seems to be the age when everything falls into place,its getting through those first few years with all your marbles intact thats the tricky bit,

my oldest bitch really does have to try hard to catch up with quarry if its a long slip, but once she there its a fair chance its in the bag, she runs very clever, as this has rubbed of on a pup i bred out of here, which is also alot faster than the dam so will hopefully come good one day, , we can sometimes take our best lamping dog out and wont always see him run "flat out" al night simply because he doesnt have to, a great advantage in a dog,

I have some very fast dogs and find they are only too fast when they are young. It's in there nature to catch and they create a style which suites them, very often slowing down is part of that style and i wouldn't say there is a dog out there, that has a strong desire to catch, that wont learn that. I try and work big open spaces from 12 - 18 months.... preferably with no gates! Work them and they'll create an efficient style taking in to account energy/time/safety/overall efficiency of chase are all natural to them. There are also exceptions to every rule!

I've seen it in a few threads now,lads write about the dog been too fast, is it possible for a dog to be too fast or has it not yet learned to run clever, i would have thought with enough work that the penny would drop in the dog mind,or maybe alot of them aren't given that long.I know fella's have had talked about this where greyhounds have been involved, Has any of you ever experienced it first hand with lurchers

i thought my saluki/whippet was going 2 be 2 fast for rabbits she used 2 take off like a rocket up the rabbits arse rabbit turn and shed over shoot alot i just kept at with her and she just cliked one night she will still take off like a rocket but when shes on her quarry she waits for the right time 2 strike.

In my opinion a dog can never be too fast. I can never understand why anybody would believe this. They can be to inexperienced or just plain stupid for sure but never too fast. A dog can also be injury prone or just plain brittle and weak but never can one be too fast. You really have to call a spade a spade if you are wanting great dogs. If a dog gets wrecked here, I dont say they were too fast. I say they were either inexperienced, stupid, brittle and weak, or in certain cases it was just a bad unfortunate deal. I own a male dog that wrecked himself last July but it werent cause he was too fast or too stupid or whatever. It was just a bad deal. Everything went wrong and I got a crippled dog cause of it but I hope and pray I can get one as fast as he was again.

Speed comes at a price and as many lurchers are pretty much all sight hound then they will suffer the same sort of problems as greyhounds, I know my nippy bitch gets more foot dammage than others I've owned. Basically the faster the dog the greater the impact forces at foot strike, "Up the straight, a greyhound carries 2.26 times its body weight on the weight bearing front limb at each stride, increasing to 5 times (or roughly 150kg) in downward weight force on its left inside front limb when leaning over around a sharp bend on the track." (Konkhe, J) so even when they have learned to run cunning a fast dog is still at greater risk during the run up. Secondly the greater the speed the shorter the run, so less stamina. Having said this I still prefere a nippy type dog but keep to smaller ones as the reduced weight minimises impact and ther're a little slower.

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they can absolutley fly and take any tumble that a half breed collie lurcher could take. If you think of it, they should be able to. They are damn near perfect in every aspect. If they were not, they would not be the athletes that they are in the first place. Never will you see a straighter legged, more muscled, solid hound that them fast as lightning jack rabbit or hare dogs that them boys run. They float over the ground with the greatest of ease and never get injured. Thats cause they are what we should all be lookin for. Dont settle for a slow dog just cause it wont get injured. That might well be, but the sumbitch aint never gonna catch nothin but a cold either.

• Like 1