Too Fast..possible or not,

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they can absolutley fly and take any tumble that a half breed collie lurcher could take. If you think of it, they should be able to. They are damn near perfect in every aspect. If they were not, they would not be the athletes that they are in the first place. Never will you see a straighter legged, more muscled, solid hound that them fast as lightning jack rabbit or hare dogs that them boys run. They float over the ground with the greatest of ease and never get injured. Thats cause they are what we should all be lookin for. Dont settle for a slow dog just cause it wont get injured. That might well be, but the sumbitch aint never gonna catch nothin but a cold either.

a fast dog would not last a week in the places i work my dog ,mabe ok for you on them vast plains where they get time to pull up or turn wide .,

We run ours in timber ground all the time so I aint buyin that either.

dan you dont run dogs in small fields with hedges and walls like we do ,a fast dog does not cut it in these places ,that is all im saying ,other wise i would get a greyhound .or pure whipet .

I would have thought the opposite were true; fast dogs for the small fields, plodders for the fens.

Cheers.

just take a look at our top sprinters in the country ,when running on a indoor track ,they have to bounce of a large padded mat to come to a halt, ,think about it ,

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they

I want a dog that is fast as can be but when he comes up on his game, he should slow and rate it and then explode and then its all over.

WHAT YOU HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ONE SAY THAT A DOG IS TO FAST, IN 45 YEARS I THINK YOU MUST OF HAD YOU HEAD UP YOUR AR55 THEN MATE, THEN YOU SAY OK A GREYHOUND OR A NON PED WHIPPET WILL RUN ITSELF INTO I

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they can absolutley fly and take any tumble that a half breed collie lurcher could take. If you think of it, they should be able to. They are damn near perfect in every aspect. If they were not, they would not be the athletes that they are in the first place. Never will you see a straighter legged, more muscled, solid hound that them fast as lightning jack rabbit or hare dogs that them boys run. They float over the ground with the greatest of ease and never get injured. Thats cause they are what we should all be lookin for. Dont settle for a slow dog just cause it wont get injured. That might well be, but the sumbitch aint never gonna catch nothin but a cold either.

a fast dog would not last a week in the places i work my dog ,mabe ok for you on them vast plains where they get time to pull up or turn wide .,

We run ours in timber ground all the time so I aint buyin that either.

dan you dont run dogs in small fields with hedges and walls like we do ,a fast dog does not cut it in these places ,that is all im saying ,other wise i would get a greyhound .or pure whipet .

I would have thought the opposite were true; fast dogs for the small fields, plodders for the fens.

Cheers.

yes mate fast to cover then slow to stay on the game i have seen dog's pass rabbit to stop then get to the cover there fast enough but they are still on it ,

dan when you say timber ground do you mean wood's or forest ect , how do you lamp that ??? without losing it's game ,

the real fast dogs ive seen still catch well but just make real hard work out of it till they learn to slow up abit jmho

then they have leared from past expereance ,when they keept missing ,because they were to fast .

Edited by 2GOOD

I used to run a few plodders, 1st crosses nothing speedy,but found that most of the catch's on the lamp were made in the hedge ,where the dog would hit the hedge hard ,knowing the rabbit would have to ease up to get into passage through the hedge,,i can live with a plodder as long as they got plenty of bottle,.

i dont think you can have a dog that can be too fast,

as it needs to get to its quarry especially after a long slip,

the diffrence is the dog slowing up at the right times.

so idealy a fast dog that knows when to run slow.thumbs.gif

lofti.

i've got a young dog at the moment and i would say he can be too fast, his approach is always at full tilt then when on his quarry he hasn't quite learned to slow up a little to compensate for the tight turns :wallbash: this however should come together with experience and work. so yes i beleive they can be too fast BUT only when their inexperience and age play the main part, jmo

atb natter

I've owned fast dogs in the past and they could kill with ease, the faster the better as far as I'm concerned, they learn how to control their running with work ,It's not rocket science the more work they get the better they become.

the more work they get ,you have read post 24 , : :whistling: :they might get better ,but they also slow up ,so they arnt so fast. Edited by 2GOOD

I've owned fast dogs in the past and they could kill with ease, the faster the better as far as I'm concerned, they learn how to control their running with work ,It's not rocket science the more work they get the better they become.

dogs with to much greyhound in them.dont get better when they are worked hard they go back wards

Are you saying that if you run a dog once a week it's going to learn more than a dog thats run 3 or 4 times a week.

I'm not talking about 8hr shifts I'm talking talking 2 or 3 chases, all depending on how hard the runs are, would you say the red bitch in my pics is to greyhoundish, got her as an adult,totally hyper surprised she never killed herself, now she is a lot more calmer and would have no problem running all day if I asked her to, and she is fast just learned to control it.