never gets marked up

Guest AngelicAcid

You say the dog wont re enter the earth once you get him out.

Is that after he has been Dug to?

Either no one else at home (thats makes him a good marker as well), or somethings up(if he hasnt been dug to. Or quarry caught), not dissing the dog, as he is still young, and sounds like he is well on his way to making a good career for himself.

Has your mate had some good Doos with the dog, does he bolt, or is he a digging dog?

Good luck with the dog.

Do you have any pics of the dog.

Edited by AngelicAcid

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys

just quick one does anyone have an opinion.

i know a lad who has a lakeland dog 2 years old flys to ground and stays but never gets a mark on it.

even after a couple of hours in. im telling him that the dog is holding back and its the baying thats

doing it but he thinks best dog ever.and once you get it out dog wont re-enter earth

Let me guess.....you think a terrier covered in scars, missing ears and lips makes it a good dog???

That dog is doing what a terrier is meant to do....bay! It's not all about getting a dog mashed up :wallbash:

The dog is still young and will no doubt gain a bit bravado and get a few marks but thats a good dog he has there i feel :thumbs:

Any terrier that is worked consistently will get marked. I have a russell bitch that is a out and out bayer, but she still gets marked. If it is not being marked at all, it is too far away from the sharp end, which may be ok in your situation, i cant really comment.

i have a bitch here that does fox in 20 min tops and dont get marked about she gets more bushing but to hard what would be her down fool if i wernt carefull with her i have another dog here bay all day on what you ever put him on untill you break throw but you can take him out 7 days a week on any think thats the difference your mates dog is clever which is the best if your all ways out

digging

i use to have a old black dog a few years back drop the old fcuker in any where and could find when others found it hard but the same old dog never ever took a wack and would be sat on the end ov there nose clean his eyes and you where out the next day so i would say your pals got a good little dog would,nt you ??? atb chris

You say the dog wont re enter the earth once you get him out.

Is that after he has been Dug to?

Either no one else at home (thats makes him a good marker as well), or somethings up(if he hasnt been dug to. Or quarry caught), not dissing the dog, as he is still young, and sounds like he is well on his way to making a good career for himself.

Has your mate had some good Doos with the dog, does he bolt, or is he a digging dog?

Good luck with the dog.

Do you have any pics of the dog.

if the dog will not enter after you have broke thro then that could be a slight problem as sometimes the terrier is needed to keep the quarry back while you clean out the hole ready for the draw or shot, sounds like a good terrier my patt x spaniel has only just started getting hit she is 3 now,

Sounds like your man has a handy terrier that he's gonna get some mileage out of. As for not re-entering earths at 2 year old, that is something that may come with more digs & time.

As for holding back and baying,,,, sounds like you are asking a leading question,,,,,, im sure theres a fair few on here that will find fault in that style but sometimes it seems they are wanting their terriers to make up for something they havent got theirselves.

I have a 5 year old bitch here that I wouldnt swap for any amount of money

Dug 4 foxes with here a coupe of weeks ago " in seperate earths " and hardly a mark on here and yes she was locked onto her quarry each time i broke through... I must admit I wonder how she does it but I have a dog that is never in the sick bed and I can take her out every weekend.. plus she doesnt attract any unwanted attention from those tree hugging people

Edited by busterbuster1969

horses for courses. IMO i think any workin terrier will have to take stick at some point, if they dont like the sharp end then you are definatly going to get a shifting match at some point. What i mean is if a fox wants to move and a terrier wont push him back then it will move but in saying that its really up to what you want yourself and as said before as long as the dog stays and isnt siting way of game then grand but i reackon the dogs not tested yet and you will have to wait and see. But thats just me atb

hi guys

just quick one does anyone have an opinion.

i know a lad who has a lakeland dog 2 years old flys to ground and stays but never gets a mark on it.

even after a couple of hours in. im telling him that the dog is holding back and its the baying thats

doing it but he thinks best dog ever.and once you get it out dog wont re-enter earth

hi maybe i never explained myself properly.i would love to have a dog that didnt get marked up and was only a foot away from the sharp end.but this dog could be in a two holer earth 1.2 at the deepest and it would take the dog a couple of hours to settle unless u want to dig 5 holes to it .[bANNED TEXT] im saying is the dog is showing its quarry too much respect and a good dog doing the job properly would get a mark or two defo

horses for courses. IMO i think any workin terrier will have to take stick at some point, if they dont like the sharp end then you are definatly going to get a shifting match at some point. What i mean is if a fox wants to move and a terrier wont push him back then it will move but in saying that its really up to what you want yourself and as said before as long as the dog stays and isnt siting way of game then grand but i reackon the dogs not tested yet and you will have to wait and see. But thats just me atb

i totally agree mate good comment thanks

Any terrier that is worked consistently will get marked. I have a russell bitch that is a out and out bayer, but she still gets marked. If it is not being marked at all, it is too far away from the sharp end, which may be ok in your situation, i cant really comment.

i think u might have hit the nail on the head mate thanks for the comment.

One of mine,never seems to get marked or very little and she always gets a grip.Last week she was to ground in a sand earth for 3 hours and lucky to come out alive.But other than sand in her eyes(that gave her very sore eyes) she was un marked.To be honest I think she'll come unstuck in the end.

You say the dog won't re enter the earth after breaking through,at this point has the fox been drawn or despatched?Or is the fox still in the tube and the dog won't re enter?Some more detail needed here.Assuming the fox has been dealt with,the dog appears to be doing a good job,but would also agree with others that at some time in his career he's bound to get marked if dug regularly.I would sooner have a good strong bayer,that would only mix it after you break through perhaps,and as long as the dog is not baying to a fox more than a foot away then i'd say your mate has a good terrier,

Higgins.