Found out whats wrong with Tia today. :(

Guest little lurcher

wow what a shock!!!!!

brilliant how you got the whelping box sorted so quickly!!!

mum and pups look like they are doing well , good luck and im sure she will pick up very soon , plenty of good fresh food and she will be fine

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone, I'm still a nervous wreck now! LOL Haven't slept yet and every time a pup cries I'm into the kitchen in a flash! but I can't see that lasting long! I'm knackered!

With two big dogs all ready I've only got room for one more (why we were hoping it was just one pup) I'll be bringing it on to work with the Air rifle/Shotgun and run with the other two. I haven't got the faintest idea what they'll look like when their older? but yes it must of been Roo... just don't know when!

Well, whilst I was at the vets the placenta was dropped and duly eaten. so we got settled for the night, missus went to bed, I went back into the kitchen to find a lighter and guess what I found? not another one... another TWO pups!

That brings the total born up to 6!!! what the bloody hell happened to one large pup!!!

Since one went, we now have 2 Bitches and 3 Dogs.

Weights of pups at Birth (it varies hugely between two of the boys!)

Pup 1 Bitch 333g

Pup 2 Dog 482g

Pup 3 Bitch 411g

Pup 4 Died

Pup 5 Dog 435g

Pup 6 Dog 217g

Pup 6 wouldn't suckle at all, and just laid there, but we managed to 'milk' Tia and fed some to him. 30 mins later he was trying to shove his big bother off the nipple!!! and hasn't stopped since. The rest have had a sleep but he just kept feeding!

Quick pics. The Runts on the left.

Photo-0006.jpg

Photo-0007-1.jpg

Cheers

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff

Glad it has all gone so well. What a good mum :D

Mum will do all the hard work now for the next couple of weeks.

Keep her well fed and watered, small amounts of feed more often to keep her milk up.

5 beautiful brindle babes. You must be so chuffed :D

Well done that bitch! Have you got puppy rails in side the box? They are great for the pups to sqeeze under rather than getting squashed by the bitch. Best of luck with them.

Right then Puppy rails, what size of wood and height do I run round the inside of the box to help protest them? Twice now I've found a puppy stuck between Tia and the box, so defineatly needed I think!

We always give our bitch a bit of puppy milk everyday whil she's suckling. £15 for a big bag of lambs milk powder and it will last till pups are weaned..

Have you any pics of the sire???

Quick pick of (we think) the father!

IMAG0091.jpg

I still can't believe my little girl is a mum! she's always been such a pup herself (even now at 7!)

Quick Vid of my two playing together, she's always getting chewed by Roo but never even try's to bite him back, just thumps into him with her mouth open! (excuse the little bare bum half way through :icon_redface: I can't edit it out).

th_TiaandRooplayfighting.jpg

Puppy Nº 7 was born lunchtime today, still born. She didn't show any signs of discomfort it just suddenly popped out??? Poor little thing.

Thanks again everyone for your help and support :good:

All the best

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff

Use dowling rods, should be able to buy them at any hardwere shop,

i would keep an eye on her, if shes poped a pup out thats been in her for quite a few hours,

as depending on when it died, it could cause her problems with infection.

Very often a pup late born will be still born: happened to me a couple of times. Providing the bitch has not got a temperature, is happy, relaxed and eating, drinking peeing and crapping normally then I doubt there will be anything wrong with her.

Chances are she will still be panting a bit a) because the uterus is contracting, and B) because of the warm weather. Just keep an eye on her temperature and her glands at the back of her jaw: if they get enlarged then she is fighting an infection.

Discharge of blood varying from bright red to dark brown but no offensive smell is quite normal for several weeks.

Best of luck with them.

Yep she's constantly panting but it is bloody hot at the moment.She's still getting a browny green discharge at the moment, but according to the vets thats ok for first few days?

What's going to be the next step? I read your guide on worming Skycat, so at 3 weeks start worming, I use Drontal plus on my two so wil use that (in smaller doses) how do you give it to the pups?

When is their first injection?

Is there anything else I'll need to do?

Cheers

Luke.

Worming is at 2 weeks, your better off useing panacur liquid 10%, worm for 3 days, then do the same at 5 weeks,

worm mum at the same time,

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_S...ion/-29773.html

injections can be given anywere from the age of 6 week upwards, but it will depend on your vet,

so speak to him, you can get panacur from the vets or over the internet, some horse shops sell it as well.

Weighing the pups is always good, as its always a good indercator of how well there doing,

if one starts to drop weight, then you will know theres something wrong,

a lot of times its just a case of leaving mum to it, once there eyes are open and there starting to eat,

then your job starts lol.

One other thing, keep a close eye on her teets, if they get verry hot, sore or a large amount of rash,

most will get a small rash anyway, or open sores start appering, then take her stright to the vets,

as some can suffer from mastitus(sp).