Found out whats wrong with Tia today. :(

The roundworm takes 3 weeks to complete its life cycle, and yes, I've tried worming at 2 weeks but got nothing. Worm at 3 weeks and you'll probably find a couple of very young round worms: just little threads of things.

IMO sticking a bit of a tablet down a pup's throat is a damn sight easier than syringing liquid down its throat, and less likliehood of it going down the wrong way. I've always used Drontal Plus on pups from 3 weeks: divvy up a tablet after weighing the pup and smear a bit of marg around the tab. Then just poke it to the back of the mouth with your finger: once at the back of the mouth the swallowing reflex takes over and the pup swallows the tab.

Make sure your finger nails are short though as you don't want to be sratching the inside of the pup's mouth with long nails!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roundworm takes 3 weeks to complete its life cycle, and yes, I've tried worming at 2 weeks but got nothing. Worm at 3 weeks and you'll probably find a couple of very young round worms: just little threads of things.

IMO sticking a bit of a tablet down a pup's throat is a damn sight easier than syringing liquid down its throat, and less likliehood of it going down the wrong way. I've always used Drontal Plus on pups from 3 weeks: divvy up a tablet after weighing the pup and smear a bit of marg around the tab. Then just poke it to the back of the mouth with your finger: once at the back of the mouth the swallowing reflex takes over and the pup swallows the tab.

Make sure your finger nails are short though as you don't want to be sratching the inside of the pup's mouth with long nails!

Yes your quite right it does take 3 weeks, but if you think worms are being passed from mum to pups, from the second they are concived,

then it makes sence(sp) to worm at 2 weeks, ive seen litters of pups heaving with worms before they was 2 weeks old,

a lot of times when you worm your dog you will never see worms, most are digested/absorbed internally once they die,

ive always used panacur - wormed countless litters with it, and never had a problem, the pups have never aspirated the liquid,

and have all done well, the liquid is verry easy to syringe in to the throat with out loosing a drop, even a child could do it

Reading the product sheet for drontal, you have to give it every two weeks, from two weeks of age,

same for the mum as well

Puppies should be treated at 2 weeks of age and every 2 weeks until 12 weeks of age. Thereafter they should be treated at 3 month intervals. It is advisable to treat the bitch at the same time as the puppies.

For the control of Toxocara, nursing bitches should be dosed 2 weeks after giving birth and every two weeks until weaning.

But with panacur you give it for 3 consecutive days at 2 weeks, then thats it till there 5 weeks old,

you can dose them again when there 8 weeks.

Well, quick update, 6 days old and almost doubled in weight, so Tia's doing great!

The Runt has now reached about the same weight Pup Nº2 was born at! 326g. so looks like he'll make it.

Pup Nº2 is now at 737g!!! fat bugger! He's going to be a big boy, he's got quite a lot of muscle definition in his shoulders already :icon_eek: and his neck is as wide as his considerable head :D

The other three are also doing really well, and throwing the weight on now and they've all now got sticky out ears LOL! they look a bit like Gremilins!

A few quick pics

Little and Large

IMAG0028-1.jpg

The 'big boy'

IMAG0016-1.jpg

A few group photos.

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0010-1.jpg

IMAG0005-1.jpg

All the Best

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff
Well another quick update, got back from work to find little'un had opened his eyes! of all the pups I didn't expect him to be first! No colour to them yet just jet black. I guess the rest will be following suit soon enough.
pups looking well the pups look brindle to me not black ;)

Thank you! I'm sure I'll be bald by the time they've moved on! lol

Theirs been some amazing advice from members on here :good: I don't think I could of coped without it! plus Tia probably would of been trying to have her 'one pup' in a dog crate! Just bloody lucky I had a bit of plyboard handy LOL

I'll try and get individual photos of each pup.

All the best

Luke.

Still haven't got any individual photo's but have managed to get a video of them.

They were being particularly noisey and boistrous tonight so turn the volume down! One of them has even started barking now LOL!

Tia's still being a gem and is keeping everything pretty clean (including me!) and their still throwing on the weight.

Day One, Day Eighteen

Pup 1 - 333 - 1364

Pup 2 - 482 - 1764

Pup 3 - 411 - 1593

Pup 5 - 482 - 1658

Pup 6 - 217 - 846

th_Tiaspups.jpg

All the best

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff