Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My preference is for white or light coloured dogs

Picture020.jpg

SOPHIE.jpg

I like to work them with my terriers flushing the cover on downs near where i live and find that its much easier to keep track of a light dog against this sort of background.

I personally think that its the million candle power lamp in your hand that attracts peoples attantion at night and not a white dog anyway :)

IMHO White dogs and merles CAN harbour some recessive genes. I've come across plenty of deaf white dogs (eg dalmatians) and merle x merle (wanted or unwanted) can result in serious inhereted birth defects. Brindle, black and fawns are less of a risk in that area.....So color does matter in some way genetically!!!!!!!!

I've been told that brindle (in a longdog) originally comes from the introduction of Staffie (a comletely differnt animal from the modern staffy) in the greyhound many 100's of years ago to spice them up and that brindle is a dominant (genetically) coat pattern.

Color doesn't matter, really, but i'would opt for a safer brindle (better cammo as well), fawn, black or blue dog than white or merle. But I guess working background is most important!

Cheers

Eggy

I've got a brindle dog "by accident"...at first I didn't like it but there is no good horse with a bad colour...in a way it is pretty camouflaged too.

Off topic a bit...your words made me curious Eggy...in Spain one sees a lot of brindle galgo and I've seen a number of brindle marrocan sloughi...these guys don't have terriers to cross with...so the brindle in these parts might be from a different origin. Thinking about it, I've seen brindles in western (Marroco to Europe) sighthounds but never a brindle saluki/tazi and their gene pool with all the colours should be big enough to have brindle...so anyone an idea whats up with that?

L.

Edited by Lennard

I've had dogs of different colours - at present my old boy is black & white (collie marked) and 23 " and a cracking worker (although he's getting on a bit now). Never had any major hassles when working him (reckon people see from a distance a guy walking his collie dog? :ph34r: )

My wee beddy x is white with a couple of brown patches - she's ideal when in deep cover or when foxing as she's easy to see and not gonna be mistaken for a fox but I wouldn't use her if it was a 'hot' day :whistle: .

My 3/4 Deerhound x is a brindle and we've had a couple o chances earlier this year to practise her cammo's effectiveness :ph34r: and it works DAMNED well. (er, obviously just playing hide and seek with my mates for fun :whistle: ;) )

I reckon if the dog does what you want, colour ain't always that important (although, you wouldn't buy a day-glo pink dog, would you?)

:guitar: If we had to listen to the tales of yore then we would alhave jet black dogs...BUT, these are as visib;le as a whitedog in the dark...those that have never walked at night WITHOUT a torch will never understand what i mean, but those who have will.....the most inconspicuous colour imho is RED.....it makes me laugh when i hear people tell of this colour is better for this, that and the other....when you are shining a 500, 000cp lamp, the whole colour thing pales into insignificance.................it really isnt important......and i believe those that have wrote about it in the past have little understanding oif what it is really like to walk alone, at night, with a good lurcher,.......fairy tales dont fill freezers..... :good: just like beauty, colour is only skin deep :good:

I want to ask if any of you show your dogs ? if so do you find a particular colour of dog seems to get placed or do you think dogs are judged on the right things

I have never shown dogs but i am going by what experience i have had when i went to ferret shows & wondered if it was similar :)

i have a black bitch that you can see on even the darkest night! and i have a dark red bull grey that i can hardly see at the end of the beam! so its got to be red as a preferance for me! providing it works of course! :good:

dont think the coular matters at all if you shout your dog and it is well trained when you recall it back 2 you put it on the lead and run 4 your life :11: that way you can lead your dog 2 saftey with it on the lead and keep it out of the keepers way

born 2 hunt f**k the ban

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

I have started to make my recall with the two lurchers as quiet as possible. I am going to send for a silent whistle and see if this can work. My pup has started to growl or give a soft bark when someone approaches and when sneaking about the local golf course they always wait for me to give them the send on. With the whole stealth thing I think it is about quiet approach and keeping the lamp off as much as possible. As for color I have to agree with JD I like red dogs. One color I am not to keen on is white especially a white face and chest as claret on a white canvass shows up like noting else. I would like very much for my next dog to be rough brindle as this is a very inconspicuous color for sneaking about