Ton up

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing THAT picture of a certain dog in front of a rake of rabbits (in another thread) Reminded me of the controversy it caused in the "shooting news" back then.

So what do people think now ? Is it possible for one dog to take 100 or more rabbits in one night. ?

Bearing in mind, the rabbits have to be carried off the ground etc, i still doubt it.

What do you think ? :whistling:

REGARDING THE TON UP,,,YES IT CAN AND HAS BEEN DONE ONE MAJOR THING HAS NOT BEEN MENTIONED AS YET ..............THE WEATHER CONDITIONS...........I LAMPED THE SAME FIELDS THE PREVIOUS NIGHT AND CAUGHT 16 RABBITS THE WEATHER WAS FAR FROM IDEAL,LAMPED THE SAME FIELDS THE NEXT NIGHT IN A VERY STRONG WIND AND CAUGHT 86 RABBITS.THE WEATHER PLAYS A MAJOR PART IN LAMPING.MAY HAVE HIT THE 100 MARK WITH THE ONE DOG BUT THE BATTERY WENT FLAT .HOW DID PEOPLE GET TO THE HUNDRED MARK IN THE SEVENTYS WITH LARGE ACID BATTERYS AND CAR HEADLIGHTS EVEN THE OLD NIGHTBLASTER LAMPS COULD FLATTEN A CAR BATTERY IN DOUBLE QUICK TIME....I WONDER HOW IT WAS EVER DONE..????

Guest miller1989

Cant believe this has had so much interest,it will be possible with one dog on top of its game,selecting the runs properly and a good lamper.

To be honest id rather ot run my dog that hard and what would i need or anyone for that matter with 100 bunnys? To prove a point?dog meat? stew? and if i took 100 rabbits there be no need me taking any home for a good month or two! So id be killing for the hell of killing!

Just my opinion!

REGARDING THE TON UP,,,YES IT CAN AND HAS BEEN DONE ONE MAJOR THING HAS NOT BEEN MENTIONED AS YET ..............THE WEATHER CONDITIONS...........I LAMPED THE SAME FIELDS THE PREVIOUS NIGHT AND CAUGHT 16 RABBITS THE WEATHER WAS FAR FROM IDEAL,LAMPED THE SAME FIELDS THE NEXT NIGHT IN A VERY STRONG WIND AND CAUGHT 86 RABBITS.THE WEATHER PLAYS A MAJOR PART IN LAMPING.MAY HAVE HIT THE 100 MARK WITH THE ONE DOG BUT THE BATTERY WENT FLAT .HOW DID PEOPLE GET TO THE HUNDRED MARK IN THE SEVENTYS WITH LARGE ACID BATTERYS AND CAR HEADLIGHTS EVEN THE OLD NIGHTBLASTER LAMPS COULD FLATTEN A CAR BATTERY IN DOUBLE QUICK TIME....I WONDER HOW IT WAS EVER DONE..????

[/q

Iused motor bike batterys in the 60s and 70s ,they worked well ,perhaps the old spotlights did not run them down as fast as the more powerfull modern lights?I think with modern lamps, people might lamp rabbits that are to far away ,to make large bags,

Just a thought?

• 2 months later...
a very cryptic reply he either did it or he didnt its not a trick question?

there is not a dog living that can do the 100 never has been and never will be

Watch this space will you then please border lad :feck:

I was browsing through this Topic, once again, some interesting quotes, and how some people can blank my post and write, there words on my post, works of the CLICK, I am watching this space, and the New lamping competition, only two heats run, and of very low numbers, due to the reality of the task, and i WOULD JUST LIKE TO ADD, the rabbit population, around here in the Borders has never, been as good, lots of Rabbits,

I have be keeping up with the lamping comp myself, And i was surprised too read about the low number thats being caught at the begginning of the season where you think you would be reading about bigger bags,

But i suppose you can only catch whats there,

i've read a few pages on this topic but not all as my eyes a re sore lol

but i think theres a god chance it has been done due to the fact that it was the hunters job to get as much as u can so you get a good wage.

but really dont think there's a chance of doing it now unless you put your dog in a petting farm with loads of rabbits. the main reason being is that rabbits are becoming lamp shy if your on the same field time and time again. IMO

Edited by Wxm

you can only TRY to catch wats there , and you carnt choose the weither eaither so i would take a while for the right weither and a good night to catch over 90 as you can see no one has got over 90 rabbits which means it is possible but when is it going to be done ?????????????????????????

ok, i have to say sommat, FORGET THE LAMPING COMP :yes: , there will never be a big bag in the comp :no:

and theres a very good reason, "COMPATITION", even on rabbit infested land and a gale force wind, lads are going to take it slower its human nature to want to win :yes:

i judged a few heats last year , and was also running in it. i think me and marks heat had the largest bag 44 over 4 hours. on the same ground only a few weeks earlier we had 70 odd in the same time.

forget the lamp comp when compairing big bags ;) .

2 keen lads with fit dogs, that know there job, and two FIT lads with good weather and lots of rabbits is the only way, to get them bags