• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What were they doing up there!?

All these experts bad mouthing glenns have obviously never seen one work,

Posted Images

was flipping through some book and read a description of this terrier, anyone here have experience with these dogs? someone somewhere must be hunting with these dogs right?

my [bANNED TEXT] as a glen x lakey.the bitch is massive and its got 2b the ugliest thing iv ever seen.bt let me say theres nothing 2 touch the bitch 4 graftin.100%.its by far 1 of the most reliable terriers ive ad the chance to mc work.atb ..........

Years ago I swapped some staffords for a brace of Glens coming from Scandinavia. The male was latently people mean and I did away with him very quickly.

I kept the female. She was grey, couldn't move for her short crooked legs and mass, had no nose and orientation and no hunting instinct. I took her to the forest for long walks together with the working terriers I had then but she just clung unto me and had no inclination to do anything, not even chased a sighted rabbit. She had some huge tools in her mouth. I had had pitbulls before that but never saw such a formidable set.

She was deceivingly quiet. She took to fighting with my German hunt terriers, making no noise, and she had a crushing bite so I separated them as far in my big yard as I could, the other terriers were separated by several mesh wirde gates. Later, she all but killed a Staffordshire bull terrier in about 7 minutes. The Stafford curred out and ran for safety, it had to be put down for the damage. The Glen even took out a fang and broke bones.

Then I took her to Germany as we went badger digging, I had then learnt to keep her separated from all other dogs except for Duvel my white fell terrier, they were friends and opposite sexes.

In Germany she drew a few badgers when we had opened up to the terrier which had bottled up the badger, so ok she could do the job.

When she got in heat, my hard, game little white Fell terrier, her personal buddy, got her, and the result was 6 jet black pups which looked like maltese. Some had short legs, some long legs, some in between. At least one developed into something like a purebred Glen. I kept one for a year but then it was still so innocent, stupid and unassuming as to hunting tasks I gave it away as a pet, never knew what happened to that lot.

I guess you can cross them with other working stock but you need patience because Glens are very late starters. If they start at all. First you take 4 steps back and then rebuild your line plus maybe the addition of what a Glen could add, like a crushing bite. In brains or hunting sense or nose, they have nothing to add.

I never saw a dog bite so hard the (shot) badgers' lower jaw broke, but the Glen could bite like a hyena.

A bit later, my German hunt terrier got pups, and the jealous Glen had somehow broken out of its own kennel run, passed all the wires. (and believe me, after having had pitbulls and staffords for years I wasn't a stupid yard keeper, but this Glen surprised me because she was always so quiet and seemed to be (was, untill then) incapable of breaking out anywhere.) The Glen had killed all but one of the pups and was in the process of killing Tabasco the mother.

The little terrier had fought bravely for her and her pups' lives and I managed to save her with difficulty and only because these hunt terriers are so strong and shockproof.

The Glen had to go. I gave her to some people who hunted more badgers than I. Soon after that I heard she got cancer and had to be put down. If that was the real reason: she probably broke up some of their hunt terriers too, with her stupid deceiving looks and fighting so noiselessly and without any previous warning. But I had warned them so maybe they were too proud to admit they had underestimated the Glen monster just like me. She fought as still as a pitbull.

That is my experience with the Glen.

• Like 1

I know of no books that will tell us anything about the real history of the Glen of Imaal. My source of info was the late great Peter Gorman who told me that in his opinion the Glen, Wheaten and Kerry Blue started off as variations of the same dog, (much like the Saluki, Sloughi, Tazy and Afghan hound before western show orientated breeders got hold of them and "branded" them as seperate breeds instead of regional variations of the same breed). Peter had a blue dog that came in a litter of pure wheatens and I know there have been wheaten coloured pups in Kerry Blue litters. Over 30 years ago I had a Glen bitch which was undersized and worked as well as she could underground, stopping any fox that she met below. She would draw the corpse out, but wasn't what you would call a trial dog. The show types I've seen lately are far shorter in the leg and therefore give me the impression of dogs that have been bred for a particular look rather than working ability. Even 30 yearsago there were only one or two glens that I remember trialling with any success.

• Like 1

I know of no books that will tell us anything about the real history of the Glen of Imaal. My source of info was the late great Peter Gorman who told me that in his opinion the Glen, Wheaten and Kerry Blue started off as variations of the same dog, (much like the Saluki, Sloughi, Tazy and Afghan hound before western show orientated breeders got hold of them and "branded" them as seperate breeds instead of regional variations of the same breed). Peter had a blue dog that came in a litter of pure wheatens and I know there have been wheaten coloured pups in Kerry Blue litters. Over 30 years ago I had a Glen bitch which was undersized and worked as well as she could underground, stopping any fox that she met below. She would draw the corpse out, but wasn't what you would call a trial dog. The show types I've seen lately are far shorter in the leg and therefore give me the impression of dogs that have been bred for a particular look rather than working ability. Even 30 yearsago there were only one or two glens that I remember trialling with any success.

Do you remember the names of the glenns that you saw trialed by any chance, i know it was a long time ago.

a mate had 2 must be 25 years ago now no good for earth work to big but done the job at the end of a dig he bred them and my digging partner had a bitch pup which caught parvo but recovered and as a result was stunted so stayed a bit small she never gave any thing any respect when you dug to her she was in grips so you picked your spots to work her this was before b+f we bred her to my pals red lakeland dog and had some good results pups a bit hard but got the job done we were just talking about her sunday when we had a mate up for a days hunting he had never seen one and me and the mate could not beleive it was so long ago

Do you remember the names of the glenns that you saw trialed by any chance, i know it was a long time ago.

I remember the name of the owner of one of them which I'm obviously not going to repeat on here. The older lads will remember him because he used to carry the Glen in the boot of his motor while the dog trailer was full of liquid refreshments. If I can find some old programs the dog will be named on them but I'm sure it was just his call name, not a k.c. name that would be of any use to trace in a modern pedigree.

if you trace the pedigree of any glen back to the 40s or 50s ,they only go back to 6 or 8 different ancestors one of which carried peters gormans prefix as you said.Id say you are bang on about the origins of irish terriers..I had a right good halfbred glen bitch coming on but she got killed on the road about a fortnight ago.

100_0920-1.jpg

This lad is 1/4 Glen, he likes nothing better than trying to throttle the parson bitch that i have here

He hasn't seen anything workwise that would be worth talking about, as at just over a year I find him still very immature