Look what he found

Took the dogs for a walk across some local Land, they was three hares out in the middle of a large field running around in circles, I watched them for a few minutes going round and round and it was good to see, both dogs were on leads and on with our walk we went. We was leaving the fields so I let the lurcher of for a run, he bolted about as normal and all of a sudden he stopped and put his nose down, well two fields latter after pushing through snow drifts I found him with this, a carp!!!! Or large goldfish. I think a herron had took it, but what a nose he's really got for a whippet lurcher. 

IMG_20180303_153047.jpg

It might be a mink as a Brook runs through the middle of the farm, didn't see no prints about but snow was melting, I used to take my dad's terriers along this brook 35 years ago ratting and had some of the best times, I might just start letting the dogs work the banks. 

more than likely mink damage that. Otters are far less likely on a brook. More chance it's a mink that's had it. Looks like it could be a small Koi maybe? Could have been picked out of a pond by a heron or cormorant and ended up in the water. mink probably got an easy meal. Found a 20lb mirror carp dead by my local river the year before last, chuffing great big munch out of its belly, killed by an otter for sure but 90% of the fish was still there. Real shame to see as they are proper old school wildies in that river. Don't see em now since the otters moved in. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

more than likely mink damage that. Otters are far less likely on a brook. More chance it's a mink that's had it. Looks like it could be a small Koi maybe? Could have been picked out of a pond by a heron or cormorant and ended up in the water. mink probably got an easy meal. Found a 20lb mirror carp dead by my local river the year before last, chuffing great big munch out of its belly, killed by an otter for sure but 90% of the fish was still there. Real shame to see as they are proper old school wildies in that river. Don't see em now since the otters moved in. 

Haven't seen a otter for years mate, I was told by a dog walker he'd seen a light coloured mink hunting along Brook, my whippet found the carp two fields away from Brook, atb 

Otters kill and move mink on in my experience...... Used to trap loads until they released otters on my local club waters,  they kill and eat all the big fish first, kiss goodbye to anything over double figures, f***ing nuisance to be fair, goosander, cormorants, otters, along with our Eastern European friends are raping rivers and lakes all over ? 

• Like 3