what's best

Hi all,  I currently use the H&N BARACUDA 10.34gr for hunting but will it be better to use the H&N Rabbit Magnum II 15.74gr ?

what's better, heavier or lighter in all sorts of conditions ?

all in .177 cal 

+ I am really happy with the .177 rifle that i got. is it worth getting a .22 rifle ? and if so why ?

thank you all for the hellp as you lot really know your shit. and I do try to take it onboard.

Edited by raptar
to add more
  • Like 1

Now then Raptar.

No idea about is it worth getting a 22 mate :) If 177 is doing the job for you, keep with it. It'll take some getting used to if you go to twenty two... as your perhaps so used to the flatter curve with your current set up. If you do get a 22, get one in spring format is my two pence.

On the pellet thought - Ive never seen a "bullet" shape projectile, like are those rabbit magnums, as accurate as the good old dome shape pellet in an air rifle. I use barras myself in me 98. No reason to move onto oat else to be honest, its a bangin pellet, in weight, shape and consistency. My 98's only doing 10.1 with um but they hit nice and solid.

• Like 1

As rez said pal. If it ain broke and all that...

Just to sound like a broken record, almost all the pcps I've had love biz mags in the heavier types so I wouldn't rule them out and it's rare you get any shitty bent ones in a tin. They will stop a rabbit further than we can effectively shoot at??

• Like 1

JSB Heavys 177 my hw100 loves them

but i did a test shoot on some potatoes at 30yrd and the pellet was going strait through them

then i went over to 22 and using jsb exact jumbos 15,89 and they were blowing them apart at 30yrds rain stopped play so i could not test them out at a greater distance .

But iv put plenty of pray on the table with the heavys mind

22 go for it

all ways good to shoot both

that way you learn how both shoot and its all ways handy to have a back up rifle

in case one fecks up

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, PLEDGEY said:

Split the difference and go .20cal :-)

+ 1 :D 

You can then shoot lightweight lead like a 177 or heavy weight lead like a 22.

Not meaning for this to divert into a calibre debate again. God please. No calibre debates... They spread like a virus.

• Like 1

The question to my mind is do you want another Rifle?  I am assuming the answers is yes and your mind is set on it.  Then it is up to you if it is to be .177, .20, .22 or even .25.  Every one of those will do the job within their killing rang.

PS
All the very best

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, raptar said:

Hi all,  I currently use the H&N BARACUDA 10.34gr for hunting but will it be better to use the H&N Rabbit Magnum II 15.74gr ?    1

all in .177 cal 

+ I am really happy with the .177 rifle that i got. is it worth getting a .22 rifle ? and if so why ?

thank you all for the hellp as you lot really know your shit. and I do try to take it onboard.

My guns never liked H&N pellets  , Rabbit  magnums are to heavy  for sub 12 IMO  .  JSB  Heavies 10.3 gr  pellet are very good in most guns  

What ever is the most accurate for your gun . I put up a post a few years ago about heavy / light pellets ,well worth a read http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/massive-177-jsb-pellet-velocity-test-0-50-metres.174275/

In my HW100k I use AA express 7.9gr 

Both will do the same as long as you know your set up ie , Gun , Scope , Pellet and more important  exactly what you are capable of  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Rez said:

+ 1 :D 

You can then shoot lightweight lead like a 177 or heavy weight lead like a 22.

Not meaning for this to divert into a calibre debate again. God please. No calibre debates... They spread like a virus.

What are you insinuating rezmondo???? That .20 is the perfect caliber.........come on lads ........get him!!!!!???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, raptar said:

Hi all,  I currently use the H&N BARACUDA 10.34gr for hunting but will it be better to use the H&N Rabbit Magnum II 15.74gr ?

all in .177 cal 

Hi Raptar,

I shoot lightweight in both .177 ( JSB Exact Express) and .22 ( Falcon Accuracy Plus) in all my rifles, all giving me fine accuracy.

Accuracy will " ALWAYS" trump power.

A .177 or .22 to the vitals of any air gun quarry is every bit as good as a .303 bullet etc, etc, - a shot to the head, " It`s dead" !

• Like 2