How Many Rabbits Equal 1 Horse?

Left a couple of cards today on some land that covers about half a dozen horse paddocks. It's absolutely heaving and they don't even move when you pass by.
If I do get a call I'd like to be able to use the "x amount of bunnies eat as much as 1 horse" (or sheep) line.
I've just read somewhere that 7 rabbits equal one sheep. Is that right? How many for a horse?

Edited by toxo

One of my horse permissions reckon 18 rabbits eat the same as a horse, I have no idea if that's true or not though.

They moan like hell about horses going into a rabbit hole, as do a couple of cattle farmers I shoot for as well, a broken leg is costly for them.

• Like 1

One of my horse permissions reckon 18 rabbits eat the same as a horse, I have no idea if that's true or not though.

They moan like hell about horses going into a rabbit hole, as do a couple of cattle farmers I shoot for as well, a broken leg is costly for them.

Hmmm. 18 3lb rabbits eating the same as a 1000lb+ horse? :hmm: Either way., make up a story for them as they won't know the difference.

Hmmm. 18 3lb rabbits eating the same as a 1000lb+ horse? :hmm: Either way., make up a story for them as they won't know the difference.

They quite obviously don't eat the same, I never seen anyone going down the field with nuts,molasses, hay nets, chopped carrots and apples for the rabbits, (am sure some are batty enough to do it though) the comparison was about the amount of grass they eat.

I have seen how much damage a few rabbits can do, so I would imagine 18 rabbits on an acre of grass, and one horse on an acre of grass, the rabbits are constantly grazing grass, the horse gets its food supplemented and are sporadic grazers, like I said, don't know how right it is, or even if it's close to the mark, but I don't reckon it's as far fetched as it first sounds.

Like you say, unlikely any horse person would actually know the answer anyway, and I would raise the issue on the holes been dug in the field margins as well

My Mrs had horses for years and always worried about her horse running around and it's foot going in s hole and breaking . Sounds like a better angle for permission than food intake . Search up a few facts about horse injuries from rabbits .

They quite obviously don't eat the same, I never seen anyone going down the field with nuts,molasses, hay nets, chopped carrots and apples for the rabbits, (am sure some are batty enough to do it though) the comparison was about the amount of grass they eat.

I have seen how much damage a few rabbits can do, so I would imagine 18 rabbits on an acre of grass, and one horse on an acre of grass, the rabbits are constantly grazing grass, the horse gets its food supplemented and are sporadic grazers, like I said, don't know how right it is, or even if it's close to the mark, but I don't reckon it's as far fetched as it first sounds.

Like you say, unlikely any horse person would actually know the answer anyway, and I would raise the issue on the holes been dug in the field margins as well

Lol. I meant same amount of grass. I just didn't put it very well. Unless rabbits eat sugar cubes. :D

It's not how much they eat that's the problem. it's the holes they leave.

true :thumbs: where i used to live i had permission on 20 acres they kept horses for jumping , all the owner was bothered about was the holes left by the rabbits. i had the place for 12 years , and took few in the lamp with dog :thumbs:

That's what I get, very rarely does anyone talk about the grass they eat!

I had one Stud Farm where the Stud Manager and Estate Manager had both lost horses with broken legs to rabbit holes.

Edited by Deker

That's what I get, very rarely does anyone talk about the grass they eat!

I had one Stud Farm where the Stud Manager and Estate Manager had both lost horses with broken legs to rabbit holes.

:thumbs: