Bang! Bang!

Kindly, "calm down lads"- i mentioned - " I was tempted",- to try and take a duck by use of a long wait, camo and an air rifle.

If this is considered unsporting, then fine, i shall not attempt it :nono: .

I would have thought it far more skillful than a shotgun but there you go.

So i`ll leave the air rifle at home and take my 12 bore instead,- is that ok ?

With my "lead free" shells of coarse.

:hunter:

BOOM ! BANG ! There that`s far more sporting ! :good:

• Like 3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's better for all forms of hunting to stick together instead of blaming each other for wounding more animals, there's enough rubbish spouted by antis. It's a pretty bad carry on if each form of the

Airguns are awesome! and very good for hunting, as are shotguns. It's just a shame to hear shotguns been compared to them as less humane and less sporting - this is wrong and I dare say VERY naive. Bo

No matter what gun you use, some birds will end up pricked, some will get over it, and if I get a walk over after the shoot with the lurcher, some wont. I hear it all the time, big guns this, air g

I used to be a mad keen wildfowler many moons ago when the east coast marshes were open and trust me actually hitting the ducks and geese was not an easy task as you were shooting with no backdrop to know distances, usually in an uncomfortable position in the mud hide. Any birds taken were WELL earned.

I knew two guys with punt guns and as said earlier, originally they were a means of scraping a living or at least something to eat for a poor family on the wash and I know for a fact that on most occasions the pound of lead shot had to be fired before getting back to shore as they were muzzle loaders so no way of emptying the charge and as usually the flocks of sleeping ducks were not present so the numbers of birds shot were not that great as they might only had a dozen shots all season even when there were huge numbers of birds on the wash which of course they have not been there in the volume for decades.

The issue with shooting duck/geese is the volume of feather at any point on their bodies in fact we used to go for head shots or shoot up the feathers particularly geese so getting the pellet through may be the problem but I would have a crack if allowed and of course getting the bird back is the other aspect..........................or a swim. You have the best cal for that job Mark .177

Phil

Edited by philpot

I used to be a mad keen wildfowler many moons ago when the east coast marshes were open and trust me actually hitting the ducks and geese was not an easy task as you were shooting with no backdrop to know distances, usually in an uncomfortable position in the mud hide. Any birds taken were WELL earned.

I knew two guys with punt guns and as said earlier, originally they were a means of scraping a living or at least something to eat for a poor family on the wash and I know for a fact that on most occasions the pound of lead shot had to be fired before getting back to shore as they were muzzle loaders so no way of emptying the charge and as usually the flocks of sleeping ducks were not present so the numbers of birds shot were not that great as they might only had a dozen shots all season even when there were huge numbers of birds on the wash which of course they have not been there in the volume for decades.

The issue with shooting duck/geese is the volume of feather at any point on their bodies in fact we used to go for head shots or shoot up the feathers particularly geese so getting the pellet through may be the problem but I would have a crack if allowed and of course getting the bird back is the other aspect..........................or a swim. You have the best cal for that job Mark .177

Phil

Phil

Sound just as bad as wood pigeons those geese....

Well the Duck has "Quacked off now" and won`t be happening :no: .

Makes me wonder though :hmm: those of you who might consider an aspect of shooting "unsporting" yet will sit in a hide near a "baited up" squirell feeder ? Or maybe a cattle/ pig/ sheep feeder shooting unsuspecting Corvids or Rats, is that "sporting" or should they be shot with a shot gun whilst flying in, or running along ? What is the difference ?

There are a lot of armchair hunters about (no slight intended), none of which have a country clue how to get near their quarry and take a static shot at a 5p coin sized vital zone, let alone hit it !

Like shooting ducks on a pond/ lake "WAS" an intended reference to punt guns nothing else .

I wont open "the can of worms" any further.

"Just saying like". but in fairness, where do you draw the line of difference "Sportsmen, women" ?

• Like 3

Well the Duck has "Quacked off now" and won`t be happening :no: .

Makes me wonder though :hmm: those of you who might consider an aspect of shooting "unsporting" yet will sit in a hide near a "baited up" squirell feeder ? Or maybe a cattle/ pig/ sheep feeder shooting unsuspecting Corvids or Rats, is that "sporting" or should they be shot with a shot gun whilst flying in, or running along ? What is the difference ?

There are a lot of armchair hunters about (no slight intended), none of which have a country clue how to get near their quarry and take a static shot at a 5p coin sized vital zone, let alone hit it !

Like shooting ducks on a pond/ lake "WAS" an intended reference to punt guns nothing else .

I wont open "the can of worms" any further.

"Just saying like". but in fairness, where do you draw the line of difference "Sportsmen, women" ?

Fair points there Mark, but just to clarify what I meant, firstly duck are wildfowl, not vermin, so from the perspective of sitting in a hide for squirrels or corvids, I strongly suspect most landowners/keepers/farmers would have no issue with the shooting of vermin with an air rifle stationary or otherwise,however mention to most of the above that you were going to sit potting duck off the pond with an air rifle,or shotgun for that matter, would meet with a quite different response indeed, now I am not saying it would be wrong to do so,far from it that would make me a hypocrite, as I have done it, albeit some years ago, no my point was that in the eyes of many of the above it would be considered unsporting, being quite literally the proverbial sitting duck, and would be frowned upon, however if you have the go ahead, then nobody can tell you, you should not do it for food, personally I would not enjoy it as much as a good duck flight with the shotgun, but then when they are coming in and you are hitting a few, it takes a lot of beating.

We as airgun shooters , will go for head shots only to make sure we have a clean kill , God knows how many times i have seen game birds ,pigeons and even rabbits being shot by the bang ,bang boys and the birds and rabbits still alive . I just hate bang bang guns

• Like 1

Duck, Goose, Pheasant, Pigeon, Rabbit, RAT the list goes on and on, some Vermin, some game, ALL living creatures and ALL respected as such by most i would think.

The "true reflection of thought" has to be, "what is the difference" ?

In my younger days i read an article in airgun world of a chap shooting geese with a .177 air rifle (1980`s) with his dog in tow, the boffs will remember it i would think and i`m fairly sure they were Pink Foot and Canadian.

Anyway,

:hunter:

BOOM ! BANG ! the countryside is awake :icon_eek:

• Like 1

We as airgun shooters , will go for head shots only to make sure we have a clean kill , God knows how many times i have seen game birds ,pigeons and even rabbits being shot by the bang ,bang boys and the birds and rabbits still alive . I just hate bang bang guns

Again point taken VM, but lets not kid ourselves that quarry never gets wounded by an airgunner, it does, by bang bang I assume you mean shotguns?

• Like 1

Shotguns are great and I use them for 90% of my hunting. They are a very handy and humane tool Which probably triples my game bag in comparison to airguns. I find nearly every shot is very quick and humane if used responsibly.

• Like 1

Shotguns are great and I use them for 90% of my hunting. They are a very handy and humane tool Which probably triples my game bag in comparison to airguns. I find nearly every shot is very quick and humane if used responsibly.

If we said that on a airgun forum they would be hell to play with

Again point taken VM, but lets not kid ourselves that quarry never gets wounded by an airgunner, it does, by bang bang I assume you mean shotguns?

CC when i say bang , bang i do mean shot guns , it just seems to me they have to let off two barrels on one bird and i use to shoot them