Best Pcp Rifle To Start With

I am wanting to know which rifle will be best to start with for pcp. I have a bsa supersport springer at the moment but I am wanting to change to pcp. I am also wanting to know which calibre will be best 177 or 22 I do mostly target shooting at the moment but I will want to start vermin shooting at one point.

• Like 1

There isn't a "best",there's what's best for you depending on budget and what features you want on a gun and stuff but one mans pleasure is another mans poison so its up to you really to find one that you like and think feels right and are happy forking out for,as for calibre it's again up to you,they both shoot well but some prefer one over the other for various reasons so you won't get a definite answer on that one!

Don't take this as a recommendation, but....

A decent 'cheap-end' PCP, Air Arms S200 or BSA Ultra. You should be able to get a near mint condition gun plus scope for £300-350. Add on charging gear (bottle or hand pump) £100-150. Both are excellent guns, limited number of shots per charge is their Achilles heel. Both are worth consideration...as regards which calibre, well that's far too controversial for me to mention! (Whichever floats your boat really mate).

• Like 1

Two good questions, but difficult to answer. However, I will be a little more 'controversial' and say that IMO two of the best 'makes' of PCPs are HW and AA. Plenty of models and combinations to pick from, but on the whole these are made well and will last a lifetime if you look after them. Just my opinion of course, but if you look around here these seem to be used a lot by hunters and FT shooters.

If you buy .177 and use a light pellet, very good for FT (flatter flight path). With a really heavy pellet, good for hunting - so for you, might be a nice balance.

I prefer .22 for hunting, but that's my personal preference.

• Like 1

Right

1, do not part with your springer keep it i no some times its not easy as wonga all ways plays a part and its hard to come by or save some times ..

Keep it as once the attraction and the fun of the pcp wears off you will find you will be longing for another springer at some point and shooting a pcp is so easy it some times becomes boring very boring

and the springer will keep you on your toes

And for a pcp if money is no object then go for the best hw100 ,rapid 7, bsa r10, and so on or why not go for the bsa ultrs or the AA,s200 cheep enough and up there with the best but the ultra shot count lets it down

then you have the AAs410 another that is cheep second hand and a cracking rifle same with the bsa,scorpion

BUT the best thing to do is go and try a few shoulder them and see what suits you

even better if there is a shooting range near you go and tell some of the lads there what your thinking of buying and some of them will let you have a go of some of there,s

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

s400 is the best rifle to start .It will compete with any rifle for accuracy .doesnt have the best shot count but its ok .isnt that quick to load because it doesnt have a mag and it isnt regulated but , these unnecassary things cost money . The s400 is nice to hold , well made not loads of plastic and could also be all the gun you need .

Like mac said keep your springer , you might be able to find a regged BSA ultra for about £300 which will give you about 55-60 shots with no power curve, very good gun

If you can find About £800 you can get a good second hand HW100k set up including scope , bottle , bag , sling, in ether .177 or .22

AA pcp another good gun , but imo the ultra is a bit better

If you do go with .177 you can use light or heavy pellet for hunting ,depends which pellet is the best for your gun , My ultra likes JSB Heavies 10.3gr and the HW100k likes 7.9gr JSB express ,even at 60 yards, both are these are great hunting pellets

• Like 2

Hi Glu,

BSA Ultra regged is in budget and a seriously good pcp.

You mention you are a target man with some room for hunting, - 177 cal` it is then. :yes:

If you can save up more, HW 100`s by a country mile.

Keep the springer mate, you will,(as said), need her one day.

atb.

• Like 2

As the lads have said keep your spring powered, that way if you ever run out of air and can't get the gun filled, you are not stuck for shooting.

.177 tends to be used more for target work, though it does have a loyal and vocal following for hunting too (me included).

As for buying, unless you have a local gunshop that does fill pcp rifles, I would hold off buying the gun and get the charging gear first (nothing is more galling than sitting at there looking at a gun that is out of air). A stirrup pump is ok despite the neigh sayers predicting rust worse than a 1970s Alfa on your internals. Just remember never use it in the rain, fog, sauna or shower room. A little sense is all that is needed,

I would also recommend buying a Combro as well (http://www.chronoscopes.com), this is useful for checking the power (the first BSA Super 10 I bought was over powered and the Walther R8 I bought was underpowered).

As for guns, the cheap end of the new market starts with the Hatsan AT44 synthetic. These can be picked up for under £300 if you shop around and for a gun with a screw cut barrel, 2 magazines, anti double load mechanism and 2 stage trigger represent good value for money. They also have German sourced barrels! Then you venture into the realms of the Gamo Coyote and Walther RM8 at around £400, then AA S200 and BSA Ultra, and so on up to the dizzying heights of Daystate and otehrs at £2k plus!

The secondhand market can be a minefield if you do not know what to look for, any evidence and ham fisted servicing (mangled screw heads and bolt heads, scratches and gouges on the metalwork) should be viewed with caution and with an immediate desire to get out of there. Bargains can be had, a couple of years ago I picked up a Rapid Mk 1 that needed a little work (like the stock putting back together, the magazine fixing and the gun servicing and tuning down) for £250. I repaired the stock so it was usable and £100 saw the gun serviced and at the correct power.

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 2