Fox Control With A .22

Why do people have a problem with close range fox hunting with a .22 ? i would of thought it's fine aslong as its a clean kill.

is there a law that says it cannot be done ?

Daz

It is fine, for some reason a section of shooters think foxes are only shot in the next county and a centrefire is essential.

That is dogs doings, there are many people who take close range foxes on a regular basis round farms, chicken coups, stables, back gardens, etc etc and a rimfire (commonly a .22lr) is the right tool, a centrefire would commonly Not be the right tool in these situations.

Whatever your police region may or may not let you use is another matter, and frankly has no bearing whatsoever on the ability of a .22lr used in the right situation.

• Like 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet more foxes have also ran off with .22 in them more than any other round also

more foxes shot with a .22 than any other round I would imagine

That's exactly the reason mate. But technically, under that condition, you would be breaking the conditions of your FAC if you decided to take your 'deer rifle' out specifically to shoot a fox during

Posted Images

Last time I got flamed for being a bit more specific but here goes, up to around 60 yards for the average shot, rf is ok for fox control if the shot is well placed. Maybe a bit more with supersonic rounds. An experienced shot can stretch that a bit further.

At longer ranges, CF makes more sense and is more humane in so far as there's more leaway with shot placement, less drop and more retained energy.

Deker is right in that it all depends on the range you're usually shooting at.

If you're shooting on 84 acres and its relatively open, then you're probably going to be taking longer range shots. If it's very enclosed, ie a series of small fields, then RF might be the more suitable weapon.

All going to depend on the usual circumstances, the proxmity of the neighbours, what the lands passed for etc.

As a rule CF is generally the more appropriate choice for fox control, but if ranges are limited, eg round farm buildings, small fields, gardens (if pest controlling and open cert), RF is appropriate and potentially safer.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Loved reading this, this discussion has gone on for years, dare say it will for many more. Theres nothing wrong with 22lr for fox imho. Out to around 80 yards a good shot can kill all manner of things with that round.

Whats sad is the confusion created by different interpretation. Plod doesn't help matters either, then when do they ever?

Its legal to take CWD's with 22lr I understand, now thats a bigger animal altogether.

Confusion and lack of clarity, is there no wonder shooting is in such a bloody mess in the UK?

Edited by John Stott

Loved reading this, this discussion has gone on for years, dare say it will for many more. Theres nothing wrong with 22lr for fox imho. Out to around 80 yards a good shot can kill all manner of things with that round.

Whats sad is the confusion created by different interpretation. Plod doesn't help matters either, then when do they ever?

Its legal to take CWD's with 22lr I understand, now thats a bigger animal altogether.

Confusion and lack of clarity, is there no wonder shooting is in such a bloody mess in the UK?

You'll need a .22 Centrefire with a muzzle energy of over 1000 ft/lbs for CWD and Muntjac ;)

If you have the ability they will take a fox out to 100 yards but like everything its down to personal choice

If you have the ability a .243 will kill deer at 600 yards or more, can the average shot do it? No, should he try it? No, keep the .22 for what its good at, rabbits, and yes CLOSE range foxes, anything else use a centerfire.

• Like 2

In the normal course of events you need a .22 Centrefire with a muzzle energy of over 1000 ft/lbs, etc for CWD and Muntjac.

Its legal to use a .22lr on any deer under the right conditions, but you need to be very clear on those conditions, the Deer Act Amendment will be helpful in this!

I asked a keeper about this he replied if you were putting your dog down would you be happy to do this at 50 / 60 yards with a .22.

YES is the answer, but that's a bit dumb, why would you want to put it down 50-60 yards away?

Anyone who looks after their gun, uses the right ammo and is a competent shot should be able to clover leaf a .22lr at 50-60 yards. Most Sub Sonic ammo is producing circa 80ft lb at that distance, more than enough to drop a dog (or fox or person) on the spot, if your keeper has an issue with this so be it, but some of us are perhaps a little more competent!

post-10759-0-69050300-1414572265_thumb.jpg

50 yards :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Probably what the keeper in question was trying to get across is the low power of a .22 rf, I am sure if he was going to put a dog down with a .22 it would be about 3 inches away from the skull not 60 yards, he was no doubt alluding to the fact that at 60 yards there are far better tools to kill a fox/dog, nobody can argue with that, on the grounds of being able to transfer far more energy to the animal, yes a .22 WILL kill foxes at 60 yards with a correctly placed shot, a .7mm rem mag will kill a fox at 60 yards also, but with, I would venture to suggest, a slightly less than correctly placed shot, and yes before anyone is pedantic enough to mention that a fox could still run off if shot in the wrong place with a .7mm rem mag, it is far LESS likely is it not?

• Like 1

Probably what the keeper in question was trying to get across is the low power of a .22 rf, I am sure if he was going to put a dog down with a .22 it would be about 3 inches away from the skull not 60 yards, he was no doubt alluding to the fact that at 60 yards there are far better tools to kill a fox/dog, nobody can argue with that, on the grounds of being able to transfer far more energy to the animal, yes a .22 WILL kill foxes at 60 yards with a correctly placed shot, a .7mm rem mag will kill a fox at 60 yards also, but with, I would venture to suggest, a slightly less than correctly placed shot, and yes before anyone is pedantic enough to mention that a fox could still run off if shot in the wrong place with a .7mm rem mag, it is far LESS likely is it not?

You have fallen into the incorrect, generalisation trap, 60 yards from what, the sleeping farmer, the stables with schizophrenic horses, the neighbours fence, the neighbours front door, etc etc? Shooting foxes at close range in many environments using a cannon is counter productive and even dangerous.

On many of the jobs I do the fox is 60 yards or less, commonly a lot less, so what makes a centerfire a far better tool for the job here? The mere fact I can shoot from the hip, hit it anywhere and it falls down?!

There are very few centrefires whos ammo will not go clean through a fox at 60 yards, that being the case you can argue all you like about safe shooting and backstops, if V-Max (etc) centrefire ammo hits bone (whatever) it can (likely will) come out at every angle you can imagine, so where does that score over a well placed .22lr or indeed a WMR or HMR? Not to mention the noise in close environments.

I simply don't get this bull about centrefires being more likely to kill if you **** up the shot, why don't we have this conversation about .22 centerfires and small deer, why doesn't the world shout and scream at these shooters suggesting they should use a .308 or bigger, just in case?

The right tool for the job, and in many cases for many people on many jobs that will be a rimfire. :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I asked a keeper about this he replied if you were putting your dog down would you be happy to do this at 50 / 60 yards with a .22.

I guess he was trying to make the point are you capable of a humane dispatch and personalise it with the dog reference.

• Like 1

I can assure you I have not fallen into any generalisation trap, I have never said a .22 rf is not the tool for the job in certain circumstances, it will undoubtedly kill foxes cleanly at short range, and citing the scenario's you do, yes of course a .22 rf would be an ideal choice, providing of course your certificate is conditioned for fox, but whilst you seem to centre your argument around the fact that you shoot them as a living, often in, I accept difficult circumstances, like suburban gardens etc,most people on here, I think it fair to suggest, do not operate as professional pest controllers and will in all probability, never be called on to shoot a fox in the circumstances you outline! Most people on here will be shooting foxes on farm/estate private land, where the .22 rf will still kill the fox at 60 yards, but as I am sure you dont need me to tell you, many foxes will be considerably further than 60 yards, under these circumstances a .22rf is certainly not the right tool for the job, I am sure you agree?So perhaps the best answer to the op's original question, is if the range is short,and a centerfire is unsuitable for whatever reason, be it noise,bullet over penetration etc,then provided you have the condition on your ticket, use a rf, for any other fox shooting scenario's, use a centerfire, where the chances of having a dead fox on the ground, as opposed to a fox running off with a rimfire bullet lodged in it, are considerably increased, I have perhaps been lucky, but in all the years I have been shooting foxes I have yet to encounter a fox that has run more than 15 yards or so, after being hit(even with a less than perfect shot) with a .22hornet, .222, 243 etc, not saying it cant happen, but the chances are greatly reduced.

• Like 2

Charlie,

That is my point, it is a matter of selecting the right tool for the job, that is not always a centrefire, many people shoot a lot of close foxes, phrases like .............at 60 yards there are far better tools to kill a fox/dog, nobody can argue with that ................ are not necessarily true, and in some cases definitely untrue and easy to argue with....oh.... and sometimes a shotgun prevails!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1