sorry for the hijack

my dugs are mostly fed barf, i like to have some dry food kicking about just incase. at the moment am running low in gain puppy and sapling and was considering switching over to gail 28 for my two, ones 11 months and the other is just over 8 weeks. Is gain 28 ok to feed the younger pup or should i stick with puppy and sapling when need dry food.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fish fingers

ive a big family so lots of kitchen scraps. and orlando my dogs are in fine niick and are generally long lived. my family have allways fed the dogs on table scraps. for generations. most live till la

Vitalin....came out like it went in

Posted Images

thanks for all the replies lads. i will stick with the skinners working 23 for the minute as a base food. i am feeding oily fish at least twice a week with a handful of rice and the dog is starting to put some weight on. i'll add some raw meat when he starts working.

You should be feeding the best protein you can afford WHILE the pup is growing, not only when it starts working. Quality protein (MEAT) is needed for healthy growth. Not just any old vegetable protein (as used by 99% of dog food manufacturers) as this is less well utilised by dogs than humans or herbivores. The difference between a litter of pups reared on a natural raw based diet, and those which only get cereal-based kibble is enormous ... in terms of general condition and overall health. Not saying that you can't rear pups on crap food, as dogs can survive on pretty much anything, but it makes sense to feed pups on a food which fulfils all their nutritional needs if they are to become good athletes.

• Like 3

to high a protein content can cause joint and growth spurt problems in pups and young dogs it needs to be a well balanced mid protein diet

aye, a member on here pup had that problem. i didnt have any problems with my other dug, so will feed similar.

out of interest, an example of what you would feed a young pup, to make sure it avoids any growth/bone problems

Edited by Joe1888

to high a protein content can cause joint and growth spurt problems in pups and young dogs it needs to be a well balanced mid protein diet

Exactly the reason why natural feeding is best. People think that raw meat is very high in protein, but as it contains a large percentage of water, it is actually lower in protein gram for gram than those super-high-powered dry foods with levels of over 30% protein: that food is measured as dry matter as there is very little water content. The only time a dog may need such high protein dry foods is if it is performing at very strenuous and stressful competition levels such as the sled dogs in races like the Iditarod.

Feeding a raw balanced diet takes all the guess work out of what protein level dry food to feed: and since dogs evolved to eat raw food their bodies absorb the nutrients far better than very processed dry foods which have been worked out by humans. We are much healthier if we eat non-processed foods, and dogs are too.

• Like 2

Exactly the reason why natural feeding is best. People think that raw meat is very high in protein, but as it contains a large percentage of water, it is actually lower in protein gram for gram than those super-high-powered dry foods with levels of over 30% protein: that food is measured as dry matter as there is very little water content. The only time a dog may need such high protein dry foods is if it is performing at very strenuous and stressful competition levels such as the sled dogs in races like the Iditarod.

Feeding a raw balanced diet takes all the guess work out of what protein level dry food to feed: and since dogs evolved to eat raw food their bodies absorb the nutrients far better than very processed dry foods which have been worked out by humans. We are much healthier if we eat non-processed foods, and dogs are too.

Edited by robs5230

You should be feeding the best protein you can afford WHILE the pup is growing, not only when it starts working. Quality protein (MEAT) is needed for healthy growth. Not just any old vegetable protein (as used by 99% of dog food manufacturers) as this is less well utilised by dogs than humans or herbivores. The difference between a litter of pups reared on a natural raw based diet, and those which only get cereal-based kibble is enormous ... in terms of general condition and overall health. Not saying that you can't rear pups on crap food, as dogs can survive on pretty much anything, but it makes sense to feed pups on a food which fulfils all their nutritional needs if they are to become good athletes.

hi i tried to send you a pm , not sure whether you have got it. my reason for feeding complete is long working hours and not much storage space. could you give me an example of a balanced raw diet . one of my worries would also be whether the dog got all the necessary vitamins out of it. and it would need to be manageable on my part . we are also in a pretty isolated spot so accessibility could be a problem. regards rob