Can You Bolt Rabbits Using One Ferret??

I am a complete novice at rabbiting went with a family friend and loved it he gave me a hob around 18 months old and has been worked before I have another hob in separate hutch he is around 6 month old. I have just got my self some nets and plan on going out this weekend should I take both ferrets?? I think I should and probarbly will but was just woundering is it possible to use just one ferret? May sound a stupid question for some but like if said I am a complete novice thanks.

The answer to your question is yes, you can bolt rabbits using only one ferret but considering you are new to ferreting I wouldn't advise going out this weekend...., ferreting at this time of year can be extremely difficult,more so for a novice.

I'd advise leaving the ferrets where they are for now......

Make sure you have all the required equipment, glean as much information from this forums posts as you can and make a start this forthcoming season.

Atb...

• Like 6

Depending on the warren size, so if it's a 3 holer there's no need for 2 ferrets, and as above this weather unless absolute vital leave be till winter months when cover down and less young about. :thumbs:

The reason why not to go this time of year should be explained to you first time. Apart from the fact that most holes will be covered with bracken and nettles etc and difficult to net, there is a real chance your ferret will find a nice bunch of new born, have a good old feed and then have a snooze. Result one lost ferret but left in a Warren which may eventually become redundant.

Hope that helps

As said you can go out at this time of year most farmers would try to push a newbie into it as soon as they see young rabbits they have 100's but unless your happy to dig all day i wouldn't go out you can ferret with one ferret but i try to work it one ferret per ten holes so the ferrets are no burning them selves out chasing rabbits underground they dont have a chance of bolting

• Like 2

The reason why not to go this time of year should be explained to you first time. Apart from the fact that most holes will be covered with bracken and nettles etc and difficult to net, there is a real chance your ferret will find a nice bunch of new born, have a good old feed and then have a snooze. Result one lost ferret but left in a Warren which may eventually become redundant.

Hope that helps

Only had a ferret lost and tired not had a snoozer, it had worked big sets all day till four o'clock , working ferrets should move on provided there not stuck in a stop end . A sleeping ferrets not much cop : )

Yes you can as other have said, no problem on small spots.

The prob with summer ferreting is cover mainly, the baby rabbits can cause some slow progress.

However I have never had a ferret fall asleep after a kill, seriously it is a wives tale IMO. They may stay with a kill but most move on after a while and don't catch up on their beauty sleep. I think people mix up a trapped ferret with a sleeper.

• Like 1

As all have said better in winter time less cover, less young, easier digging ground that is not rock solid !? and more fun. Also give you time to find someone near you to go out with a few times to get to know what to do. Get a locator as well and learn how to use it.

Read some books and learn. warrens can be very large, run under Tarmac, concrete etc there is loads you need to think about

Also remember if you are working a single ferret for long periods it will get tired!! So when you are having a cool drink in the shade remember the little worker needs a drink and maybe some energy giving food to keep him hydrated and well. If over worked in this type of heat he could go down hill quickly.

Good luck in what ever you choose but caution don't jump before walking as it can go tits up!!

All the best

Lee C

Not saying it never happens but in my experience I think a lot of ferrets get falsely accused of having a feed and falling asleep when infact it's a lot more likely they have rabbits in a stop end or they have killed a rabbit in a stop end on the wrong side of the rabbit and can't get out since I invested in collars I have never dug down to a sleeping ferret they are always on a rabbit still trying to work them out

• Like 1

If a rabbit goes into a stop the ferret scratches and bites the rabbits haunch and. Is trying to kill the rabbit people used to think the ferret had killed eaten and fallen asleep but the locater has proven the ferret is just doing its job

As said before get a locater and tag along with somone if possible

Your really going to limit yourself with one ferret , we tend to work the bigger warrens add 4 to six ferrets and as the action slows down add more rember for the few holes there are on top of the bury there could be miles of tubes under ground

• Like 1

Yes you can as other have said, no problem on small spots.

The prob with summer ferreting is cover mainly, the baby rabbits can cause some slow progress.

However I have never had a ferret fall asleep after a kill, seriously it is a wives tale IMO. They may stay with a kill but most move on after a while and don't catch up on their beauty sleep. I think people mix up a trapped ferret with a sleeper.

Not saying it never happens but in my experience I think a lot of ferrets get falsely accused of having a feed and falling asleep when infact it's a lot more likely they have rabbits in a stop end or they have killed a rabbit in a stop end on the wrong side of the rabbit and can't get out since I invested in collars I have never dug down to a sleeping ferret they are always on a rabbit still trying to work them out

Agree with both of the above. :thumbs: