Why Do Coursing Men Go Through So Many Pups?

A dog should be tried til it's 3 ,if then your not satisfied ,rehome/pts etc,too many try dogs before their year old then their sold to some mug when their only 14 months old etc.

So you would seriously put a dog down just because you aren't satisfied with how it turned out?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny you should say that Phil. I never considered myself the slightest bit competitive until I started coursing: it brought out the very worst in me. I used to be a nervous wreck before meetings, whe

More young dogs destroyed by running too soon, over running. Man has bred these coursing dogs who literally run themselves into the ground rather than stop: no wonder so many are ruined both physicall

Nowadays it's all about 'ME': and not only in working dog circles. You only have to look at the indignities some pet dogs are subjected to, especially the toy breeds. Larger breeds are often status sy

A dogs for life mate you just have to make the best of what you've got.

Spot on unless of permanent injury that render's them useless for what they where bred to do.. ;)

Yes of course if something happened to them that they wouldn't have a decent quality of life then yes I would pts but other than that I wouldn't. I get really attached to my dogs I couldnt swap and switch like some do.

• Like 1

A dogs for life mate you just have to make the best of what you've got.

Spot on unless of permanent injury that render's them useless for what they where bred to do.. ;)

I get what you're saying millet, but plenty of young dogs get permanently injured, and a couple even killed, every year by being run at hares far too young, especially on big open land where a hare can and does give a very keen youngster a desperately hard time, and I think that's the main point of fdr's post, which I think most people would agree with.

• Like 2

That's true. I lost two dogs on the fens, fatally injured when they broke their backs in big dykes, and they were experienced dogs too. Shit can happen at any time to even the best: the harder the dog tries, the more likely it is to injure or kill itself. You see very few dogs over the age of 5 running regularly, though a friend of mine, who runs his dogs very hard, and conditions them like no one else I've seen, had a couple of bitches which were still running at 9 or 10 years old. A rarity indeed.

More dogs are permanently damaged through being run unfit than anything else. Most of today's novices to the game just don't know how much work is involved in getting a dog truly hare fit. It's not just a matter of biking the dog for a couple of weeks before running it.

• Like 3

That's true. I lost two dogs on the fens, fatally injured when they broke their backs in big dykes, and they were experienced dogs too. Shit can happen at any time to even the best: the harder the dog tries, the more likely it is to injure or kill itself. You see very few dogs over the age of 5 running regularly, though a friend of mine, who runs his dogs very hard, and conditions them like no one else I've seen, had a couple of bitches which were still running at 9 or 10 years old. A rarity indeed.

More dogs are permanently damaged through being run unfit than anything else. Most of today's novices to the game just don't know how much work is involved in getting a dog truly hare fit. It's not just a matter of biking the dog for a couple of weeks before running it.

I do not and will not push any of my pups, even on rabbits, got no time for any of the egotistical bollocks in competetive coursing either. I've been called 'too cautious' and accused of wrapping my dogs in cotton wool for too long or whatever, doesn't bother me. Obviously now and again a youngster will run the odd rabbit when out on a walk, but none of my dogs have been entered on anything until they are physically and mentally ready. All dogs will pick up injuries now and again, but none of mine have ever been damaged by being run too young.

P S, not having a dig at you personally skycat lol

A dogs for life???? If a dog can't do its job you want it for what's the point off keeping it??? You can bring up a pup best you can does not mean its going work out. What people must remember we are always looking better and your only keeping yourself going if your not. Remember there is lot money in matches so what good is a dog that can only catch 1/3 hares????

some people keep lurcher an others keep lodgers if the don't work there out the door

to move more in the door ?? if i could,nt make a decent dog i would be questioning my self not the dogs , mine are here to stay if there second best then there my second best,and its my fault not the dogs,buying in pup after pup from what you think is the best wont do you or your ego any good if you dont put the time in, know your dog,when its ready ,when its not,and patience most of all jmo mc

• Like 1

some people keep lurcher an others keep lodgers if the don't work there out the door

to move more in the door ?? if i could,nt make a decent dog i would be questioning my self not the dogs , mine are here to stay if there second best then there my second best,and its my fault not the dogs,buying in pup after pup from what you think is the best wont do you or your ego any good if you dont put the time in, know your dog,when its ready ,when its not,and patience most of all jmo mc

I wouldn't buy a pup of anyone I breed my own an I wouldn't start a pup early I don't set my sights high thinking everything going be a world beater im happy enough with something that honest but if they make mistakes im not sentimental I don't keep pets

• Like 1

if the dogs fit enough, old enough, has been bred with thought,has been fed correct, housed correctly, brought on correctly and entered correctly, other than its own physical nature and mental attitude what would make the difference between a good and bad one :hmm: things change when dogs go past their prime and with injuries but outside of that its as much about what you yourself put into the dog as it is the dog itself, a dog only getting a proper turn at the weekend is likely not to hold a stick to a dog doing a turn daily,

I wouldn't buy a pup of anyone I breed my own an I wouldn't start a pup early I don't set my sights high thinking everything going be a world beater im happy enough with something that honest but if they make mistakes im not sentimental I don't keep pets

wasnt directed at you mate just owners in general , i dont keep pets either ,except for the wifes poodle :laugh: out of curiousity,what do you class as mistakes ??? atb mc