Is The Hmr Really A 200 Yard Rifle?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very over estimated round in my opinion

What ever happened to field craft ?over the years I have met many a man that could shoot targets that I could but dream of but ask them to stalk to within 25yards of a rabbit and it's laughable, Perso

That would seem to be the case most of the time, borne out by the fact that there are always loads on guntrader etc, and I know a few people Seeker included, who will probably never use theirs again.

Posted Images

As said I absolutely love my HMR but won't really have a need for it when I get my .223. I boght it for fox control but obviously in most circumstances a .223 is better suited.

I will keep the hmr for fox jobs on small permissions other than that I'll be charlie hunting with the .223

I would hazard with a few exceptions once folks get a proper gun the .17 is quickly left to gather dust in the cabinet

That would seem to be the case most of the time, borne out by the fact that there are always loads on guntrader etc, and I know a few people Seeker included, who will probably never use theirs again.

• Like 3

I think a large factor being ignored here is SKILL

some people cannot hit consistently, some can almost work magic.

The 17hmr has the power and accuracy on a still day to kill a rabbit at 250yrds, but you need to practice shooting it at 250yrds to have the SKILL to do it

• Like 1

The 17hmr has the power and accuracy on a still day to kill a rabbit at 250yrds, but you need to practice shooting it at 250yrds to have the SKILL to do it

No what you need to do is sell it and buy a .hornet or a .222, then you can shoot live targets at extended range with a round that has some clout behind it.

• Like 2

Well practice makes perfect but to be shooting at that distance you need to ask yourself why your not using a centrefire, let's face it stalking in closer to you target is what is best as you have more of a range for rabbits or other game apart from fox....on the targets and range though that's a different matter.

• Like 1

I think before we get too much anti against it, it's worth remembering that it does have a place. .22lr is range limited and many other rifles are too powerful for rabbits. The Hornet is one round that can fill the gap so long as you head shoot as with the HMR, but it is overkill on small game and unless you reload its far more expensive to shoot and it's worth remembering not everyone can get CF at 1st grant.

I wouldn't buy a .22LR unless I needed silence as I hate the round's increased tendancy to ricochet when compared to fragmenting ammunition.

Well practice makes perfect but to be shooting at that distance you need to ask yourself why your not using a centrefire, let's face it stalking in closer to you target is what is best as you have more of a range for rabbits or other game apart from fox....on the targets and range though that's a different matter.

Give all the Quarry you shoot at, All the RESPECT it Deserves, if you dont have the Skill, Marksmanship or Knowlege of Calibres to use then you should Not use a Rifle to kill any Animal, until you DO. :censored:

"You dont use a Donkey to do a Horses job"

• Like 2

What ever happened to field craft ?over the years I have met many a man that could shoot targets that I could but dream of but ask them to stalk to within 25yards of a rabbit and it's laughable, Personally I believe this is why the 17 is so popular today's hunter wants instant results they get a fac and a 17 and there they are gunny Hathcock able to snipe rabbits in the next county it takes no time nor knowledge yet in their minds they are rabbit snipers par excellence

• Like 6

funny how my skill gets some much better and consistant when i load my own ammo.ammo is the killer of the hmr .if i could get a hmr that grouped on a 5p every time like in the early days when ammo was good i would not be without one.

Very true danw...although its satisfying being able to put that round in its place at an extended distance its not what should be if can be helped especially with 22lr and 17hmr, some places do call for it but i blame tv for the modern feeling towards this.

• Like 1