• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

I've fancied goats, but i've just been tipping the pigs in and they clear and rotovate it lol.

Also I reckon the mrs would struggle to have the goats slaughtered. :laugh:

Don't slaughter keep for milk ........

Good stuff little bits of land are hard to come by,think your living how most lads would like to have a go at,but i think most lads dont realise the amount of work that goes into something like that,you seem to know what to expect,anyway let us know how things move on.

Good stuff little bits of land are hard to come by,think your living how most lads would like to have a go at,but i think most lads dont realise the amount of work that goes into something like that,you seem to know what to expect,anyway let us know how things move on.

Your right mate it is hard work.

Jai wouldn't know, I heard that his mrs does all the hard work ................ :whistling::D

No........ there's always something to do with a place like that. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few months to . fair play he's done a fair bit already and has plenty of good plans for the place .

Cheers Raw.

Thought I might have scared you off yesterday with all my yacking :laugh:

Aye there is lots to do. Was up there today cutting back some hedges and repairing the fencing, and banging in some new posts. Bit of wire and it'll be the veg patch.

Well. . . . it'll be the veg patch after i've put the pigs in to clear the bramble, then rotated it, built raised beds and a herb spiral, some compost bins.. . . . . . and eventually a small poly tunnel. :laugh: Think i'll let the mrs loose on the planting, I just like the manly stuff :tongue2: The area i've put over to vegetables is going to be about 25/30 meters by about 10.

Obviously not going to get much planted this year, but it'll be good to have the area done. If anyone has any genius ideas, or unusual ones, stick them up.

Also been doing some chainsawing, clearing the way to get the JCB in next Sat. Will be a big jump when thats been in, i'm hoping to do quite a lot of 're-modelling' lol, change the access track, lift some heavy scrap out of the way, level the area for the barn and clear out an area of small scrubby trees for a bit of a mini orchard to go in, a long with a few other bits and bobs.

Might also get him to dig a small pond, I want to mess about growing some willow.

Oh and i've had a phone call of someone after a couple of pigs to rear on for pork, so if they take them, it'll pay for a half ton of food (almost) to see the rest through for a few months till most are slaughtered. Be good if it comes off :thumbs:

• Like 3

Cracking post bud ,my dream is to do the same some day :yes: i Got a couple of sheep on a mates land iam bringing on cant wait to there ready,also done some meat chickens and they were lovely easy to keep and will defo do them again but space is an issue for me at the mo.Keep up the good work and the posts bud and good luck :thumbs:

P.s Iam a builder/landscape gardner/tree surgeon and worked on the farrowing side of a pig farm for 5 years so if you need any advice etc feel free to PM mate!

• Like 2

Thanks for that buddy! I'm going to A.I my sow when she comes back into season. . . . and it'll be the first litter I have bred. . . . so i'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you! Much appreciated :thumbs:

I really did consider that stig.

But in comparison to pigs -

Pigs clear the ground faster, and also turn the ground over, getting out the roots ands breaking up the soil, whilst fertilising it.

They need less fencing than goats.

They don't need to be shut in a shed every night.

They are ready for slaughter by 6 months, and there is a ready market for them.

They also produce larger numbers of young on not much more feed. And they are less of an initial investment.

So all in all, the pigs won. :thumbs:

Coupled with the fact that the mrs doesn't get as attached to them as I think she would with goats :laugh:

Also, I don't like milk, and don't want to be tied to milking every day.

So i'll stick with the pigs for a bit, and add some chickens, geese and turkeys.

Then get some (free) orphan lambs in to bottle feed when the time is right (and I've grassed over some land) and put them in the freezer, keeping a couple to put back in lamb.

Got my eye on some primitive sheep as well, quite fancy some soay's, they look interesting :thumbs:

Long way off yet though :hmm: