How Safe Is Your Coursing Dogs With Sheep?? (Ireland)

Hes both a worker and pet... I would not like to pts which is where this is going if I cant solve this stupid game hes playing chasing things for the craic... Ive tried everything and hes 100% in every other regard and im quite attached to him

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why anyone would have a dog in there kennels that tackles sheep i do not understand ive spent year building up permission building bonds with farmer why would you risk that there should be a law in

Dont course near sheep simple. no farmer or his sheep would be happy with a dog coursing through the middle of them. The sheep see something fast moving coming towards them the natural instinct is fli

If your dog ain't stock trained where i live you ain't going to let it off the lead, train them young enough and they know.  

I asked a farmer for permission few years back in donegal and he said no probs as long as you keep your dog on the lead I have alot of sheep on that land lol typical Irish man think he thought it was me gonna run the hares lol

Hes both a worker and pet... I would not like to pts which is where this is going if I cant solve this stupid game hes playing chasing things for the craic... Ive tried everything and hes 100% in every other regard and im quite attached to him

How much saluki is in him? and what age most young salukis or saluki sarurated dogs will throw you a deaf one some worse than others but eventually you reach an understanding they will run and chase and come back this is where the owners patience is the key to give them time .
  • Like 1

How much saluki is in him? and what age most young salukis or saluki sarurated dogs will throw you a deaf one some worse than others but eventually you reach an understanding they will run and chase and come back this is where the owners patience is the key to give them time .

He will be 20mths in september id have him out now doing a bit but cant trust that he wont all of a sudden decide to chase the dairy cows on the farm where my best bit of permission is... Hes lucas x garfs ruby so fairly well saluki saturated wouldnt know where to start figuring out how much salukis in him

So if hes got Lucas in him the intelligent part will be the saluki LOLOne of mine was 16 months before could even let it off the slip, cloth eared wasnt in it lol just persevere if hes out and he starts showing to much interest in livestock on the slip good reprimand take him away and walk past again in a couple of minutes do it as often as needed then if possible well away from stock and slip him on something and plenty of praise it all down to repertition

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

I can have him freerunning around stock and hes fine but then he will get a notion in his head to upset them and chase them around the field a couple of laps. Doesnt matter how many times I walk past them on the lead he ignores them when under close control he takes the piss altogether if someone else is handling him instead of me. his recall otherwise is fairly good

So if hes got Lucas in him the intelligent part will be the saluki LOLOne of mine was 16 months before could even let it off the slip, cloth eared wasnt in it lol just persevere if hes out and he starts showing to much interest in livestock on the slip good reprimand take him away and walk past again in a couple of minutes do it as often as needed then if possible well away from stock and slip him on something and plenty of praise it all down to repertition

:thumbs:

I can have him freerunning around stock and hes fine but then he will get a notion in his head to upset them and chase them around the field a couple of laps. Doesnt matter how many times I walk past them on the lead he ignores them when under close control he takes the piss altogether if someone else is handling him instead of me. his recall otherwise is fairly good

he needs to be worked on furry stuff or deer once he gets the idea he will be more inclined to listen what hes not supposed to chase

Oue salukis in the middle east run gazzelle on a regular basis and dont look at the goats or sheep may be its bred into them over the generations, an example here is working sheepdogs the pups have a natural instinct to herd and very rarely do they worry them. I believe a lot is down to the temprement of the owner, get an excitable owner it transfers to the dog shouting. screaming arm waving just increases the excitement in the dog and acts as encouragement rather than a stern command from a calm owner is usually enough, you see dogs on leads owners tighten the leash and the tension transfers down the leash to the dog.

• Like 2

Oue salukis in the middle east run gazzelle on a regular basis and dont look at the goats or sheep may be its bred into them over the generations, an example here is working sheepdogs the pups have a natural instinct to herd and very rarely do they worry them. I believe a lot is down to the temprement of the owner, get an excitable owner it transfers to the dog shouting. screaming arm waving just increases the excitement in the dog and acts as encouragement rather than a stern command from a calm owner is usually enough, you see dogs on leads owners tighten the leash and the tension transfers down the leash to the dog.

That's a interesting and good point db, as i remember in turkey, years ago, tazis and saukis working around sheep and goats and killing foxes and small deer ect with no problems.

That's a interesting and good point db, as i remember in turkey, years ago, tazis and saukis working around sheep and goats and killing foxes and small deer ect with no problems.

fair point that :thumbs: