Hunting Greyhounds?

I had one, 22 month ex race bitch, taken off for interfering while racing. I spent first few weeks training it . Heel,down, stay ,jump and recall plus ferrets without any real problem. Lamped it, day time hares, took fox no bother. Even learned to creep down the beam to squatters and once a hare hadn't seen us and came loping along towards us, I slipped her, she crept up the hedge like a collie until it spotted her and turned tail. Ran her into old age without injury ,then retired her to family where she lived out her life as a pampered house pet. Bring one up like a lurcher, you've got a lurcher!

have you ever ran one against a pure deerhound or saluki romany???

Yes, as it happens I had a pure deerhound bitch at the same time, the greyhound was far superior .I also ran fen dogs ( Merlin, Eve ) compared to them , Greyhounds got no stamina worth a mention. Seen very few Salukis run, the ones I have seen, run much the same as fen dogs do.

thanks for that mate........... :thumbs:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Members on here have tried ex track dogs but usually say they turn their brain off when running, and are very prone to injury. Raising a greyhound from a pup and having it grow up to respect fences t

at the end of the day they are hunting animals in the purest form............if the pitbull is muhammed ali then the greyhound is usain bolt............get the right type and you wont be having any wo

I have a 2-year-old coursing bred bitch here...she came here after ferry and transporter from Ireland...journey to my place...other dogs...strangers....flopped onto a beanbag...and looked liked she's

Posted Images

I had one, 22 month ex race bitch, taken off for interfering while racing. I spent first few weeks training it . Heel,down, stay ,jump and recall plus ferrets without any real problem. Lamped it, day time hares, took fox no bother. Even learned to creep down the beam to squatters and once a hare hadn't seen us and came loping along towards us, I slipped her, she crept up the hedge like a collie until it spotted her and turned tail. Ran her into old age without injury ,then retired her to family where she lived out her life as a pampered house pet. Bring one up like a lurcher, you've got a lurcher!

On the money my mate got 1 he paid over 2000 for 2 coursin grey pup from Ireland been reared as lurcher and tell ya they can hunt one died last yr tho punchin way above his weight n 1 he still running now I forget out [BANNED TEXT] a grey good dog and I no he earnt there price back already especially on the big brindle 1 that still kickin

i have had 2 ex track dogs and they were a pleasure to own and easy to live with, they were however injury prone and i had to be careful where i ran them.

this was probably because they are not as good at stopping and turning as some lurchers and ended up having collisions.

they trained up at basic commands a lot easier than i was led to believe and i would say that the younger you get one the easier it is.

they are not the type of dog to jack and are totally focused on the job .

good luck with your new dog.

Edited by whipbed

ran a greyhound bitch got her gifted at 9 week old fetched on just as i would a lurcher jumped ran the lamp and mooched with her through the day nice size at 25 tts so was good on most stuff never had any problems with injurys slight knocks but no more than you get with any runner get the dog out see what it will do for you mine gave me 9 years of fun atb :thumbs:

• Like 1

How injury prone are the pure greyhound I've always been biased towards a smaller running dog they suit me better but quite like the idea of giving a ex track dog a second chance

I been lucky seen a lot of workin grey all the 1 I seen that had long workin carer all was weighed in as pup, make sense really track dog dont need or learn sense running around in big circle. I wud never bring 1 in off a track I say more failed attempts of making 1 take on role of lurcher for a lifetime, in less learnt from pup and gave field craft. u be shocked they hav more blow then peeps give em credit and if sensible quite sterdie but wat put people off is to get good breedin in grey u gotta open ur wallet and get ya wonga out they aint cheap But IMO well worth the investment
  • Like 1

ran a greyhound bitch got her gifted at 9 week old fetched on just as i would a lurcher jumped ran the lamp and mooched with her through the day nice size at 25 tts so was good on most stuff never had any problems with injurys slight knocks but no more than you get with any runner get the dog out see what it will do for you mine gave me 9 years of fun atb :thumbs:

Good thrill watchin em go aint it trotter I love watchin em go, a good grey in my view is high of the sport [BANNED TEXT] watchin it in motion, mite not b best dogs in world but by dam they give ya sum fun

How injury prone are the pure greyhound I've always been biased towards a smaller running dog they suit me better but quite like the idea of giving a ex track dog a second chance

I been lucky seen a lot of workin grey all the 1 I seen that had long workin carer all was weighed in as pup, make sense really track dog dont need or learn sense running around in big circle. I wud never bring 1 in off a track I say more failed attempts of making 1 take on role of lurcher for a lifetime, in less learnt from pup and gave field craft. u be shocked they hav more blow then peeps give em credit and if sensible quite sterdie but wat put people off is to get good breedin in grey u gotta open ur wallet and get ya wonga out they aint cheap But IMO well worth the investment
very fair post mate I'm certainly not after 1 like I said I prefer a small dog suits me and what I do just like the thought on giving a dog a second chance but know what your saying about them not having sense most post about ex track dogs always seem to end with the dogs doing them selves serious injury or worse

Best allrounder that I ever had the privilege too watch as a 12 year old was a pure grey little track bitch prop thought she was the best I ever seen cos I was 12 and my dads dog and it was the first bit of hunting she never had any real injury problems till she went straight into a fence and broke a leg it ended up being the end of her would I have a pure grey again maybe but would have too be a small type and would have too be a bitch would not take a big long distance ex track dog