Great forum! I live in Brittany, on a hectare of land (2.5 acres) which includes a half-acre lake and some woodland. Aside from target shooting, at 65 yards with the .22 and 47 yards with the air rifle, I also do my bit to control the enormous coypu population around here, when they manage to burrow under my perimeter fence and try to take up residence on my lake.

I also shoot muskrats (another common water-dwelling pest in France) and rats, which like trying to overwinter our chicken & duck sheds. No squirrels to shoot here, since they're red squirrels, so the ones that live in the garden go unmolested.

I have a French gun licence, which allows me to own shotguns or bolt-action rifles in any non-military calibre, with a maximum capacity of 9 rounds in the magazine, or semi-autos with a maximum of 3 rounds. I also shoot at a local pistol club, and will be buying .22 and 9mm semi-auto pistols, and probably a Ruger 10/22, after my six-month "probation" period is up in the New Year.

I recently bought a handycam and have started filming my coypu & muskrat shoots -- the first one can be seen at http://youtu.be/DS3hFqdcEHY.

Zastava CZ99 Precision .22 LR, Hawke AirMax EV 4-12X50 AO scope, Harris bipod, SAK silencer

Weihrauch HW97K .177 16 fpe, Walther 3-9X50 AO scope

• Like 2

Great forum! I live in Brittany, on a hectare of land (2.5 acres) which includes a half-acre lake and some woodland. Aside from target shooting, at 65 yards with the .22 and 47 yards with the air rifle, I also do my bit to control the enormous coypu population around here, when they manage to burrow under my perimeter fence and try to take up residence on my lake.

I also shoot muskrats (another common water-dwelling pest in France) and rats, which like trying to overwinter our chicken & duck sheds. No squirrels to shoot here, since they're red squirrels, so the ones that live in the garden go unmolested.

I have a French gun licence, which allows me to own shotguns or bolt-action rifles in any non-military calibre, with a maximum capacity of 9 rounds in the magazine, or semi-autos with a maximum of 3 rounds. I also shoot at a local pistol club, and will be buying .22 and 9mm semi-auto pistols, and probably a Ruger 10/22, after my six-month "probation" period is up in the New Year.

I recently bought a handycam and have started filming my coypu & muskrat shoots -- the first one can be seen at http://youtu.be/DS3hFqdcEHY.

Zastava CZ99 Precision .22 LR, Hawke AirMax EV 4-12X50 AO scope, Harris bipod, SAK silencer

Welcome to the forum mate, where abouts in Brittany are you? My grandparents live near fouestnant. How big do the coypu get?

Bullmastiff, I don't know why the link comes up like that -- the channel appears as http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdRUCYjNGOWFawnxZuf4cwQ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?=dRUCYjNGOWFawnxZuf4cwQ, but all the videos appear as youtu.be something. Maybe because I'm in Europe? When you go to the youtu.be link, it appears in the address bar as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3hFqdcEHY&feature=youtu.be, whatever that means!

Hi lapin2008.

I'm halfway between St Malo on the coast and Rennes -- about 40 mins from each, in a small hamlet in the countryside near a village called Sens de Bretagne.

Forgot to answer lapin 2008's question -- is there any way to edit posts on this forum?

Anyway lapin, The bigguns are about twice the size of the critter in the video -- so probably weigh not far off 20lbs/9kg, and measure 24-30" in the body with an 18" rat's tail. Ugly things, and they also carry Weil's disease apart from anything else.

They bring their young along in the spring, shepherd them around for a few weeks, then leave them to their own devices. The young then start tunnelling into the banks of our lake when the water level drops in the summer (the lake is fed by a seasonal stream). I haven't had the chance to take down one of the adults yet, just 5 young 'uns last year (slightly smaller than the one in the video, about 4kg/8lbs) and one about the same size as the video star back in the spring.