Pheasant

Nice one Nick. You tuck in and enjoy your dinner from your shoot. :thumbs:

I know these are generally reared and raised for shooting and there's blokes paying good money for a day's gun in a shoot. But, in these austere times, a little free meat is not to be sneered at.

Surely one or two shot with a clean pellet for the pot, is not going to cause offence.

Simon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye, it's a funny old world. Wild british pheasants???   Went out today for an hour, dog put up well over 40 pheasants from a couple of permission fields i have where i can kill what i like, but me

Hi Nick.   There is nothing to say you cant take a pheasnt with an air rifle mate. Some frown upon it, and say they should be up before shooting them. But.....if they want to waddle about in front

there are enough challenges with air-rifle hunting its nice to get the odd bonus now and then

Thanks Simon your completely right, we have had shoots up the farm but they don't come anymore so none of the pheasants are fed unless they eat the cows meal but my grandad never shoots them ones because they are his pets haha soft bugger, I was going to go and get a few for the freezer wether it was with the shotgun or air rifle, I find they taste alot better shot with a clean headshot,

Cheers Nick

I know these are generally reared and raised for shooting and there's blokes paying good money for a day's gun in a shoot. But, in these austere times, a little free meat is not to be sneered at.

Surely one or two shot with a clean pellet for the pot, is not going to cause offence.

Simon

See this is the thing.......will it stop at 1 or 2? Cause i think it will be 1 or 2 everytime the guys out possibly racking up 15/20 maybe more birds and thats just 1 person. What happens if there is more people shooting just the "1 or 2"? If your going to shoot pheasants that have bee released on a shoot and are wandering onto your permission why not put your hand in your pocket and put 10-20 birds down? I'd love to see someone shoot them and see your replies then about "just taking the 1 for the pot".

Simon

See this is the thing.......will it stop at 1 or 2? Cause i think it will be 1 or 2 everytime the guys out possibly racking up 15/20 maybe more birds and thats just 1 person. What happens if there is more people shooting just the "1 or 2"? If your going to shoot pheasants that have bee released on a shoot and are wandering onto your permission why not put your hand in your pocket and put 10-20 birds down? I'd love to see someone shoot them and see your replies then about "just taking the 1 for the pot".

Hi Lab.

What you say is quite true mate.

Most shooters are responsible, but you will always have the element that will kick the arse out of it, with no thought or regard.

Having a word with the land owner of your permission is a good idea, some may let you shoot a few, others wont.

If the birds are comming over from nieghbouring land onto your permission, and your shooting them, it could cause a right rift between the two parties.

Best to check it out first, unless you own the land, then its up to you.

Bill.

No pheasants are raised on my permission, a few interlopers have moved in though....

I think labs point is that those of you shooting pheasants on permission with no released birds are probably shooting the birds of neighboughing shoots that have wandered over the boundary. If you wack say just 10 birds in the season, thats potentially 250 quids worth of pheasant the shoot has lost! Obviously situations vary but alot of the time this is the case.

:thumbs:

Its no everybody that has the time or inclination to put down a few pheasants though and its a legit and tasty target and this is a hunting site ?.

Fair point but putting down some ex layers and throwing some feed 'in' hoppers once a week is not difficult or time consuming. If you do that then know one can say you are not doing your bit.

I don't want to cause an argument here but we own the farm and surrounded by our fields that belong to us about 600 acres give or take, and that's why I said we used to have shoots on here but don't anymore and nobody feeds them and nobody shoots them so your comment lab tactic is just silly to me, we haven't got hundreds of pheasant just the odd 1 walking about, and if I can't shoot a pheasant on my land Wich I'm going to eat is ridiculous, so why should I pay somebody to shoot it?

Nick

As long as they were shot after 1st October you are all good. But they are about as hard to hunt as a barn door. . . . . .very very little skill involved.

Until they spot you stalking them - then they belie their gaudy plumage and do a veritable scarlet pimpernel on you!

To be fair, I've dropped more with my trusty air rifle than with my shotgun, and delicious they taste too. :yes:

The pheasants on my patch won't fly any more because their scared to get shot at, but as soon as they see you there off like roadrunner being pursued by wiley coyote, beep beep! :D

Time to get the trianers on Dark One....give em a run for thier money :laugh:

f**k running after them, thats why I bought a lurcher and joined the darkside :laugh: