nine times out of ten a physical correction isn't required with MOST dogs, depends on the individual temperament, although saying that my wheaten brings out a side of me that reaches for the hammer........

an that from a dog trainer :huh::blink::icon_eek::whistling:

Its sarcasm oldtimer.............Although i do find your replies funny and helpfull at times.........................see sarcasm

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"back on the lead for the rest of the walk".......its not like putting a child on the naughty step you know? If it needs a shake or a kick up the arse it gets 1......And i can assure you my dogs 'like

On a rare ocation i have been knowing to bite there ear.

If its a lurcher, forget hitting it.......waste of time   If its a terrier..........leather the living shit out of the wee b*****d

nine times out of ten a physical correction isn't required with MOST dogs, depends on the individual temperament, although saying that my wheaten brings out a side of me that reaches for the hammer........

Its sarcasm oldtimer.............Although i do find your replies funny and helpfull at times.........................see sarcasm

:laugh:

An adult dog,properly trained and entered,seldom needs to be physically disciplined,a sharp slap now and then lets certain dogs know they have crossed the line.I owned an ignorant,bad tempered,mean b****rd once,most people would have culled the brute,my mates would,nt let their dogs in the motor if he was in it.I never took the dog out without an old fibreglass car aerial with me,he tried his luck on innumerous occasions and felt the aerial,he then behaved impeccably,he was probably the most frustrating mutt ive ever had the displeasure of owning,but was the best hunting dog ive ever owned.I had the chance of lining bitches with the dog,but could,nt take the risk.Certain dogs will respond to harsher treatment,if the need really arises.

anyone that knows me knows i crack my dogs now an again so if that makes me an unstable leader then so be it ,my dogs are extremely head strong an hard to control but i admit i know what type of dogs can be controlled by a stern voice an what cant some of my do have unreal prey drive an take an iron hard person to keep in check imagine that type not getting enough work an thats when things can go wrong i admit im hardly a dog trainer just a fella that keeps an works dogs thats all really mate ;)

An adult dog,properly trained and entered,seldom needs to be physically disciplined,a sharp slap now and then lets certain dogs know they have crossed the line.I owned an ignorant,bad tempered,mean b****rd once,most people would have culled the brute,my mates would,nt let their dogs in the motor if he was in it.I never took the dog out without an old fibreglass car aerial with me,he tried his luck on innumerous occasions and felt the aerial,he then behaved impeccably,he was probably the most frustrating mutt ive ever had the displeasure of owning,but was the best hunting dog ive ever owned.I had the chance of lining bitches with the dog,but could,nt take the risk.Certain dogs will respond to harsher treatment,if the need really arises.

Have you not just contradicted yourself mate, not a dig, i agree that some dogs NEVER need any physical correction and some may need some form of physical correction, its down to individual temperaments........

"seldom need"..he was reprimand or cull.I enjoyed [most of the time]6 wonderful seasons with that mutt.

with my staff she is told, then if she continues to miss behave she is told sturnly normaly by then she knows what she has done wrong. but then if she carrys on i either grab her by the scruff of the neck and give her a good shake or raise my hand not hit just raise it. very rarely do i have to hit her. but with such strong headed dog sometimes it takes a smack to make them realise.

i shall be getting a sighthound next year and realise that i wont be able to train it the same as i have with my staff

last time i smacked one of the dogs was. when i was feeding the terriers in the large pen and the new (not very bright beagle mix) dog jumped into the pen to steal food only for 4 terriers to attack him, well. when i heard something kicking off outside i ran into the pen and roared at them to "drop it" 3 of them did 1 ignored me and got a cuff and i gave him a shake. then picked up the beagle mix that was still in shock and screaming his head off :wallbash: (he only had minor cuts and bruises but likes the drama)

My lurcher is just over 16 months now and the biggest thing I've found with her, more than any other dog I've ever had, is the serious need to count to ten on occassions. I was thinking this the other day after quietly climbing through a hedge, taking a couple of minutes getting into position and then slipping her on a rabbit that I thought she'd seen and she proceeded to run straight past it without even noticing it and do a bit of a lap of the field scaring every f'ckin rabbit in sight......I'm one of the most patient level headed people but I wanted to rip her f'ckin head off and drop kick it into the next field.....stupid on this occassion cos it was my fault for slipping her without making sure she'd seen the rabbit. How do the people who don't have much patience cope with training a lurcher??? I don't know how they cope without exploding to be honest.

I don't know if it's just lurchers or training a working dog in general? I suppose with a pet you're teaching basic commands and that's it, whereas when teaching a lurcher/worker you're putting the effort into finding prey, which isn't always easy, seeing a brilliant opportunity and then all your hard work is going to waste because your dog, at that very moment in time, decides to be a cock.

Another example with mine, on Monday I went out to do a bit of ferreting and there's a set on a small hill. I could net all exits bar two which were in brambles but leading to an open field so thought dog can catch bolters from those holes. Netted up, get dog in position and tell her to stay, enter ferret.....next thing, dog's behind me rolling in the f'ckin leaves :censored: :censored: :censored: Luckily rabbit bolted in a netted hole but I was quietly raging!

All just inexperience but it doesn't help at the time! I try not to smack my dog though because with her I don't think it's necessary, she knows when I'm angry and I find grabbing her by the scruff does the job.

Another annoyance with lurchers....when they do something seriously f'cking annoying and they know they've done wrong, but they sort of circle you so you have to nicely call them back............and then you're bolloxed cos you can't bollock them for coming back :censored::laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

Malt: do you think that some dogs actually need to be hit? Not having a go, but to me, hitting is an action which doesn't compute in the canine mind. Yes, it hurts, but it is not the physical pain which teaches the dog anything. A good shake, or cheek grabbing and eye balling have always worked better for me in the case of a real stubborn, ignorant dog which is trying to rule the world.

I'm not on about belting a dog, just giving it a physical point of reference to let it know it's out of line. You say 'Hitting is an action that doesn't compute in the canine mind'. I'm sure you well know that a dog is clever enough to realise that there is a difference between themselves and humans, and being one of natures most adaptable beasts with soon learn..

It's all about what works for the individual dog by the individual master.. :thumbs:

I deffinately don't condone beating. If anything, I'd be the first in line to give someone of that way a taste of it themselves.

I have seen guys dogs' that almost piss themselves when the owner goes to touch them which makes me sick but I do agree with Malt.

With the way us humans are taught, if we do good, we get rewarded, if we do wrong, we get a punishment. In my opinion, hitting/smacking/whatever (If used in the correct way) can compute with dogs because it's something that isn't nice. If you kept on doing something and then have a consequence that isn't nice (i.e. a smack) after each time you do it, you'll stop doing it because you don't want the consequence. I'm not saying that this is right for every situation, far from it, but sometimes it is needed.

Just my opinion, there are many more experienced people on here than me so if I'm wrong I'd like to know.

Sam

• Like 1

I've got an old leather collar and if they play up I'll let out a few roars and give them a quick lash with it over the ass if I think they really have taken the piss. It's not going to cause any damage at all, it's a quick sharp pain to correct bad behaviour, and in all honesty I can't remember the last time I've had to give them a lash?

I also reward good behaviour and besides their daily walks I spend time with them each day in the garden, give them a fuss and all that crack. I find when you take a little time out for them you get a good bond with the dog that way, and you build up their trust in you but they'll still know their place.

Another annoyance with lurchers....when they do something seriously f'cking annoying and they know they've done wrong, but they sort of circle you so you have to nicely call them back............and then you're bolloxed cos you can't bollock them for coming back :censored::laugh: :laugh:

:yes::clapper:

I have hit dogs a long time ago, and it never did any good. It is the force of your superior mental power, your voice, what you mean, how you say things that really works. Take the Airedale for example, she is about as physically sensitive as a concrete block laugh.gif so no amount of beating would work on her. What she really hates is for me to get cross with her, she wants to please, but when the drive switches on she is deaf. To her, she isn't doing anything wrong: a dog can't understand how one moment you want it to hunt like f*ck, then the next, stop doing that and come when it's called. If you don't want a dog to do a certain thing, that at other times you do want it to do, then its much better to put it on a lead until you have gone past temptation.

I have and do grab certain dogs by the scruff: terriers for example, but a lot of lurchers scream as though you are killing them if you do that. For me, the best way to train/correct most lurchers is to use voice: varying the tone. I put on a real bad-ass voice which means don't dare to even think of disobeying or else. IMO voice (and varying the tone) is the most powerful tool we humans have.

Now most people will think the next thing I'm going to say is really cruel, but if used properly, there should never be any reason to hurt the dog. I often carry a metre long thin whippy stick. It is NOT to hit the dogs with, but as a GENTLE reminder to stay to heel, to come to heel, and NEVER to be used in anger or violently. It is simply an extension of my arm, and it can reach them when they might be a metre away, about to do a runner after something. I also wave it back and forwards in front of the nose of a dog which might be trying to go past me when it's supposed to be walking beside me. It is also a framework within which the dogs can walk: 5 or 6 lurchers can't all walk to your heel, so they form a group around you. If one starts to wander you can gesture with the stick to get it back in line. I ought to say that no one who is likely to lose their temper and actually hit their dogs should carry a stick as like any tool, it could be abused. And the dogs shouldn't be scared of the stick: if some of mine are fed up with heel work they are likely to grab hold of the stick and ask for a game! That's how it should be, but my body language also tells them when its time to have fun and when to be good and obedient. It's like when we meet strange dogs: they all have to fall into line behind me when we go past a strange dog on the track. We always do it and it becomes a habit, though have to admit the daft as a brush Saluki thing has to go on a lead as he just can't leave other dogs alone: always wants to play :doh: :doh: laugh.gif

I agree the whippy stick not to beat just to snap the dog out of it, my saluki the same want to play with every dog we come across but is far to ruff!!!