Hare

jasper65

Nice one, Jasper. :thumbs:

I've shot very many hare's with shotgun, RF and airguns and a well placed pellet kills just as well as the others, it's about keeping within the limits of whatever gun you happen to be useing....

I think a lot of the dog and firearms folks look down their noses at us lowly airgunners 'cos the only dealings they've had with airguns was probably many years ago as young 'uns shooting sparrows and tin cans with some crappy old break barrel that was probably 20 years old then. Things have moved on a bit, fellas....

There's a lot of snobbery in field sports, which is a real shame. :thumbdown:

Cheers.

My air rifle is an AA s410, in carbine length, not state of the art ,but a bit better than "some crappy break barrel".

There is a lot of assumptive ignorance in field sports, I have noticed that.

There is a lot of assumptive ignorance in field sports, you're right there. There's also an awful lot of arrogant and sarcastic tossers as well.

I was makeing a general remark, as well you know.

When you make," throw away "remarks ,as you did ,they are apt to be challenged . Why not be specific? No danger of being misconstrued then ,is there ?

As to ",arrogant and sarcastic tossers" ,are you speaking generally, or specifically referring to me? Not that I give a flying f**k.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a crock of s.h.i.t mate whoopy fecking doo you shot a hare,whats the big deal if you went out for rabbits,im sure anyone on here would of took the shot at anything on the legal list if it was in

Nice one jasper, i have never gone out to look for hare but when the shot has presented itself it has often been taken. Good for you

Hi Jasper.nice clean looking kill. I shot a hare a few weeks ago but didn't put a post up about it as was on another site and some guy was getting abused left right and centre for shooting one with a

Posted Images

Ive shot a hare with an air-rifle,another with a shotgun and about twenty or so with a rimmy.I dont see a problem with it but from a sport point of view,pre ban off-course,coursing or my personal favorite hunting sport Beagling was a far better use of the superb athlete the Brown Hare. :thumbs:

I used to go out now and again with a few lads pre ban admitidly not beagling but out with the Lurchers! Must say it was a big adrenelin rush and I loved it, I never turned down a invite after the first time.

One of the reasons I love flying Hawks too is the chase! from a sporting point of view this is everything to me plus hopefully the bird is succesfull too, the kill is also Important to me for the birds confidence but its nice to see a good even match. I try to do everything possible to see a good fit Hawk in full flight against some good fit wild quarry, All the quarry gets a fair sporting chance...

Jasper

Nice one, Jasper. :thumbs:

I've shot very many hare's with shotgun, RF and airguns and a well placed pellet kills just as well as the others, it's about keeping within the limits of whatever gun you happen to be useing....

I think a lot of the dog and firearms folks look down their noses at us lowly airgunners 'cos the only dealings they've had with airguns was probably many years ago as young 'uns shooting sparrows and tin cans with some crappy old break barrel that was probably 20 years old then. Things have moved on a bit, fellas....

There's a lot of snobbery in field sports, which is a real shame. :thumbdown:

Cheers.

cheers for the reply Andy :thumbs:

I went on a Hare shoot in North Norfolk a few years back! have to say it scared the crap out of me the way some guns shot straight down the line, at one stage I could here Pellets thuding into the soil around me, I said then never again...

All I can say is it was Carnage! anyone who thinks all these Hares was killed cleanly even useing shot as low as 4's is talking total Rubbish, I lost count how many was back ended or needed a second barrel to finish the job or necked. must say I'm a bit miffed how some people who have now admitidly aknowledged they own a Air Rifle can't get their head round quite how clean a Air Rifle running near to the 12ft/lbs limit will dispatch a Hare cleanly within Range.

Judgeing by the reaction this thread caused I can see why some Air Gunners think its not a good idea to put pic's up of Hares downed! Its not like this Hare was going to be discarded like some rimfired or centrefired vermin I could mention, nothing shot here goes to waste! either I eat it or ot goes to the Birds, if its smashed with a shotgun it goes to the Ferrets :thumbs:.

I think you're bang on saying alot of people have no idea how far Air Rifle have come since the old break barrels, its funny when I have spoke to old school men in the past and even mentioned shooting pigeons they look shocked! most of them in the good old days was shooting .177 BSA Cadet Majors at starlings :laugh:

atb Jasper

The problem with many hare shoots is that experienced ,regular game shots, are usually not keen to participate in them. The lot of culling them often falls on beaters, [as a reward], and just about anybody who owns a shotgun, hares look so big to the uninitiated shooter that the distance they are from the gun is often underestimated, and they are shot in the arse, and/or back legs, [ no one has ever been guilty of giving a hare too much lead], and unfortunately hares can often sustain quite a lot of shot damage and still lope off to die later.I've picked up dead and dying hares the day after on several shoots.

Another element that must figure in here ,is that Continental guns are more than willing to go on hare shoots , and ,from what I have seen their marksmanship often leaves a lot to be desired.

Add to this, the safety aspect that has been mentioned [hares will often run back through the line],and tyro gunners follow them ,with their barrels traversing all and sundry ,and hare drives are perhaps something to be avoided on both ,aesthetic,and safety grounds.

blimey, my first day on in ages and look what i've been missing!!!

nice shooting jasp, clean and humane mate, just the way it should be. i dont do hares myself, but thats just cos there arent that many down my way, so its a rare pleasure to see one. if i was in your situation with loads i'd be going for em too tho, done in red wines supposed to be lovely i'm told...

all the best, wurz

hi wurz

get ya self down to me! buddy plenty hare!

regards

davy

Ive shot a hare with an air-rifle,another with a shotgun and about twenty or so with a rimmy.I dont see a problem with it but from a sport point of view,pre ban off-course,coursing or my personal favorite hunting sport Beagling was a far better use of the superb athlete the Brown Hare. :thumbs:

I ve been beagling once or twice, I found it very hard work,[ my legs were ageing, even then], I've allways found it curious that coursing got such a bad press from the anti's, yet beagling was hardly ever mentioned, probably because most anti's conception of coursing was formed by organised grey hound coursing where the, admittedly small amount of kills ,can often be seen by the crowd attending, whereas very few, if any of the spectators are usually present when the beagles finally run their quarry down.

It could be argued that coursing is more humane than beagling,because in a course a hare is only under pressure for a few minutes at most ,in contrast a pack of beagles, hunt a hare to exhaustion in a war of attrition.

I make no criticism of beagling myself or the people that participated in it pre ban ,I found them an admirable bunch of people, a local whipper in used come to coursing meets I attended, hell of a good bloke,and when I have judged shows in aid of beagle packs I've been treated extremely well .I hope it returns as a legal field sport.

The problem with many hare shoots is that experienced ,regular game shots, are usually not keen to participate in them. The lot of culling them often falls on beaters, [as a reward], and just about anybody who owns a shotgun, hares look so big to the uninitiated shooter that the distance they are from the gun is often underestimated, and they are shot in the arse, and/or back legs, [ no one has ever been guilty of giving a hare too much lead], and unfortunately hares can often sustain quite a lot of shot damage and still lope off to die later.I've picked up dead and dying hares the day after on several shoots.

Another element that must figure in here ,is that Continental guns are more than willing to go on hare shoots , and ,from what I have seen their marksmanship often leaves a lot to be desired.

Add to this, the safety aspect that has been mentioned [hares will often run back through the line],and tyro gunners follow them ,with their barrels traversing all and sundry ,and hare drives are perhaps something to be avoided on both ,aesthetic,and safety grounds.

alot of the Hare shoots I heard about in Norfolk took place near the Sandringham estate around the Bircham and surrounding areas. I had a Invite in the earley 90's after getting friendly with a keeper near by and going on a few local Cock shoots.

You're right there was a few foreigners there aswel as people who thought they could shoot probably includeing myself, you might not beleive this but over a course of two days there was somtimes in excess of 400 - 500 Hares shot :icon_eek:. when I heard these Figures being bantered about I was gobsmacked but it wasn't surpriseing when you saw the amount falling to the guns...

Nearly all the Hares was taken and prepared to send across the continent! Its pretty sad to see the amount laying there after a days shoot and still shocks me that they return years after year to virtually the same numbers....

So is red wine better than chocolate milk then :D

Never having cooked hare in chocolate milk ,I am unable to furnish you with a satisfactorily definitive answer. : :( :

I'll give the red wine a bash then :D

That would be my decision also. :thumbs:

I ve been beagling once or twice, I found it very hard work,[ my legs were ageing, even then], I've allways found it curious that coursing got such a bad press from the anti's, yet beagling was hardly ever mentioned, probably because most anti's conception of coursing was formed by organised grey hound coursing where the, admittedly small amount of kills ,can often be seen by the crowd attending, whereas very few, if any of the spectators are usually present when the beagles finally run their quarry down.

It could be argued that coursing is more humane than beagling,because in a course a hare is only under pressure for a few minutes at most ,in contrast a pack of beagles, hunt a hare to exhaustion in a war of attrition.

I make no criticism of beagling myself or the people that participated in it pre ban ,I found them an admirable bunch of people, a local whipper in used come to coursing meets I attended, hell of a good bloke,and when I have judged shows in aid of beagle packs I've been treated extremely well .I hope it returns as a legal field sport.

Beagling can get you into a sweat especially if whipping-in but is nothing compared to a day following a Fell Pack.Probably due to beagles only going out at noon instead of 9.30am and the hare going around in a big circle rather than a fox that just runs and runs for miles. :D Ive done both and beagling is alot easier on the legs most of the time.

For me following Hounds has been the best hunting ive had,a few years ago i thought about trying Falconry or rather flying a Harris Hawk but realized i didnt have the spare time needed everyday to do it properly.It is however something i hope to do in the future,and hares would be something id want to see being pursued. :thumbs:

alot of the Hare shoots I heard about in Norfolk took place near the Sandringham estate around the Bircham and surrounding areas. I had a Invite in the earley 90's after getting friendly with a keeper near by and going on a few local Cock shoots.

You're right there was a few foreigners there aswel as people who thought they could shoot probably includeing myself, you might not beleive this but over a course of two days there was somtimes in excess of 400 - 500 Hares shot :icon_eek:. when I heard these Figures being bantered about I was gobsmacked but it wasn't surpriseing when you saw the amount falling to the guns...

Nearly all the Hares was taken and prepared to send across the continent! Its pretty sad to see the amount laying there after a days shoot and still shocks me that they return years after year to virtually the same numbers....

I used to course on that estate,all legal ,with a club, I do beleive you, the numbers were astonishing.I confess I've allways found the sight of ranks of dead hares laid out after a shoot, a pathetic waste of our grandest animal athlete.

• Like 1

hi wurz

get ya self down to me! buddy plenty hare!

regards

davy

hi davy, i might have to take you up on that kind offer buddy!! were running courses up the road from you in south glos so maybe i could tie a visit in with one of them mate. nice one!!

cheers buddy, wurz

When you make," throw away "remarks ,as you did ,they are apt to be challenged . Why not be specific? No danger of being misconstrued then ,is there ?

As to ",arrogant and sarcastic tossers" ,are you speaking generally, or specifically referring to me? Not that I give a flying f**k.

Oh, that last one was aimed squarely at you, fella. And I forgot to add pedantic before. Takeing the mick about someone's spelling FFS. Grow up.....