what rifle for foxes??

With a .243 your gaining a more versatile gun, that can shoot with the right bullets flatter than a .22-250 and that can be used legally on deer.

Greater variation in ammo available from 55gr to 115gr, If you were shooting reds fair enough move up in calibre... but for an allround gun, you will find it hard to beat a .243...any centrefire will kill a fox...So it all depends on your needs...

ps casshantia try the lighter bullets, see what you think...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legal minimum calibre for roe, fallow, red and sika in England and Wales is .243, min calibre for Muntjac and CWD .220 C/F, 1000 ft.lbs. Scottish legislation specifies M/E and M/V.

There is talk that English legislation may be amended to allow .220C/F to be used for Roe.

Ric

The legal minimum calibre for roe, fallow, red and sika in England and Wales is .243, min calibre for Muntjac and CWD .220 C/F, 1000 ft.lbs. Scottish legislation specifies M/E and M/V.

There is talk that English legislation may be amended to allow .220C/F to be used for Roe.

Ric

i hope it is as a 22 cf is more then powerful enough for a roe deer with he right bullet.

The legal minimum calibre for roe, fallow, red and sika in England and Wales is .243

Nope, .240! :tongue2:

Beat me to it, but as we all know they are as rare as Rocking Horse S**t so .243 is the beastie...but the law says .240!! :thumbs:

Ric

i hope it is as a 22 cf is more then powerful enough for a roe deer with he right bullet.

There was talk of the .22 CF for Roe (and it was actually included) until the final reading of the 2007 Deer Act Amendment(England & Wales).

I struggle to see it being included any time soon, where did you hear of this Talk Ric?

Ric

There was talk of the .22 CF for Roe (and it was actually included) until the final reading of the 2007 Deer Act Amendment(England & Wales).

I struggle to see it being included any time soon, where did you hear of this Talk Ric?

there was a lad on a different forum speaking to a member of basc the other day. he seam to think it might be changed soon

Alright guys

I have been thinking about buying a rifle for shooting some foxes for a while and i was wondering what i should go for.

Some people have told me a .270 will do and others said it might be a bit to much for foxes.

Personally i dont have a clue because i have only used shotguns and air rifles so i would appreciate your opinions and also could a .270 take a deer ???????

atb

myles

OK

I would suggest a .243, because its Fox friendly and Deer legal also relatively cheap to run, so you've covered all the bases.

Maybe get something a bit more 'meaty' later?

AF

hi i think the 270 is an exellent round for fox i got a 270 for my first centrefire as i didnt want multiple rifles for different species and the 270 will do everything i reload so can slow rounds down for woodland or speed up for the hill. this is a 150 grain driven slow i was out for deer but this chap came along and the farmer wanted him gone .i dont think he even had time to complain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yF6piX5A-4