what rifle for foxes??

Alright guys

I have been thinking about buying a rifle for shooting some foxes for a while and i was wondering what i should go for.

Some people have told me a .270 will do and others said it might be a bit to much for foxes.

Personally i dont have a clue because i have only used shotguns and air rifles so i would appreciate your opinions and also could a .270 take a deer ???????

atb

myles

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate I use a 22/250rem for foxes and here in scotland it is also good for roe deer my mate swears by .243 for everything he recons it is more flexable as regards home loading.In my opinion .270 is too heavy for fox but it would certainly do the job.... .243 would be your best bet mate

Edited by Night Hunter

Alright guys

I have been thinking about buying a rifle for shooting some foxes for a while and i was wondering what i should go for.

Some people have told me a .270 will do and others said it might be a bit to much for foxes.

Personally i dont have a clue because i have only used shotguns and air rifles so i would appreciate your opinions and also could a .270 take a deer ???????

atb

myles

A 270 is a bad choice i hate them personally & a 243 would be the caliber if you want it for deer to with a fast factory load choice from 58g bullets to 100g stuff.

I used a br 222 for years its a great caliber for foxes! iv upgraded to a 243 and use it for everything its very flat and acurate, + 222 is expensive to feed hope this helps. come on snapshot and mr logic and others have your say!

Alright guys

atb

myles

If its fox only you are after, then any rifle from .22Hornet to 243 will do the job :gunsmilie: depends what range you normally shoot them at.

LD

Alright guys

atb

myles

204 for fox is a good rifle

I doubt if you would get .270 for fox on your FAC if you have only shot with air rifles and shotguns before. They are a belting tool, it is an unpopular calibre at the moment and there are some good bargains to be had.

But for a first rifle for both fox and possibly a deer the .243 has got to be the most popular choice. Or you could try a 6.5 (incoming, tin hat on!) ;)

For a staight out fox rifle anything from the .22 Hornet to the .220 swift will do the job.

ft

243 is the thes to pick if you want a all round gun. if it is just for foxing tho i would go with the 22/250

For foxing I like my 22-250 a very flat trajectory not so loopy as a .243 and you can use it on Roe deer in Scotland (subject to certain ballstic requirements). But I have to admit that .243 is probablly more suited as an all-round calibre.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/boxing.gif[/img] e='flytie' date='30 April 2010 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1272613332' post='1542369']

Or you could try a 6.5 (incoming, tin hat on!) wink.gif

Only go for 6.5x55 if you are going to home load or can afford nearly £2 per roundicon_eek.gif . I just got one and it nearly cost £40 to shoot the barrel in lol! Like it though just haven't tried it on a fox yet.

22-250 if it's only for fox or .243 for fox and deer you simply cant go wrong .270 is a great calibrenotworthy.gif but you might struggle to get it on your ticket for fox control depending where you are in the countrythumbs.gif hope this helps.

For my money

If it is purely for fox then i would go for a .222 / .223 (very little difference) but make sure it has a decent rate twist in the barrel to shoot the 55 gn bullets. They are sweeter to shoot than the .22-250 (and i use a .22-250) and although slower / more drop you just need to hold a touch more.

If you are likley to want to do deer as well then the .243 will do both better than any other factory round IMO.

Do not under estimate the potency of the .222 / .223 because with a mod on there they barely move, meaning easy accuracy and confidence which leads to good shooting

Dan