Traps Protection

Who on here uses some sort of protection on there traps be it paint, trap speed style dip or natural sources... In the past I've painted traps with spray to blend in with cover and offer some sort of protection against rust, I've also used a trap dip similar to speed dip but water based.... They do help the traps blend in and look less conspicuous, and protect them to a point... Although the dip and spray do rub off to a degree with the spring action of the bodygrips...

I have speed dipped body grips Ian, I find there is still a faint odour of tar on them but the action is quicker.

I have also spray painted one with enamel spray paint which has the same effect but odourless.

I will stick to spray painting them from now on, less hassle, quicker, and a touch up coat is all thats needed. I might try boiling one in oak leaves or similar at some point too just to see the effect.

H

I am having a good result with Lard or animal fat, I havnt got round to doing my fenns and body grips, but I have a job where I trap with victor pros on a farm, after having the traps out over the winter the Pro's were starting to rust and the wooden base was slightly warping, rather than use a preserver of any kind I got me hands on a 1lb of lard and dipped them in that for rats.

Image000-1.jpg

I don't particuly like the idea of using petroleum based chemicals like speed dip, but the american trappers use it to good efect, Perhaps chalkwarren or snareman would care to answer if they found that targets were trap shy and what they use :thumbs: they would be better qualified to answer and it would be intereststing to hear, :good:

Perhaps a remake of "body grip basics" should be re done :hmm::D

I never use anything on my spring traps other than a bit of clear candle wax or a light brushing with a vegetable type oil to keep them firing sweetly. I find if they are used regularly they soon take on that lovely darkish patina so beloved by trappers. In the past i have tried all methods.......including boiling in oak bark, walnut husks etc. and found it made little difference if any to the catch rate. Boiling though does certainly remove the oils and grease acquired during manufacture.

Rolfe.

Mine are untreated also but I have considered using speed dip (or a cheaper substitute)

All those US pro-trappers must be onto something ;)

OTC

I'm using the Formula One (Brown) at the minute...

trap_dye.jpg

Depends how you use them FD, they are better with a natural colour, although its not necessary, offers that bit of protection also... Them americans don't use big tunnels and what not on every trap and just place them on the runs and trails, they do use the occasional cubbies...To be honest I think the wooden tunnels hinder the bodygrips over here, I mean whos going to place cages/tunnels over every rabbit run when using bodygrips, its just not practical is it, you would need a pickup and trailer full unless you only pick away at the odd ones... but we got to stick to the law, always making life easier.............NOT :)

Just personal choice, its not needed...

i use a dipping paint and some times give them a quick spray of green just to brak up the shape a bit

DSCF1739.jpg

a bit dusty off the saw dust

but it keeps the traps protected when you spay them ;)