true or false

hello all,have a coarsing bred pup coming on for the new season , but i would also like to do lamping with her as well ; only a few old lads at the game for years have told me never use a hare dog for lamping as the dog gets to used to stopping at the ditch and will start doing it by day as well , so is it true or false. thanks

hello all,have a coarsing bred pup coming on for the new season , but i would also like to do lamping with her as well ; only a few old lads at the game for years have told me never use a hare dog for lamping as the dog gets to used to stopping at the ditch and will start doing it by day as well , so is it true or false. thanks

all my years lamping and running lurchers a think who told you that is telling you shit mate it has never happend to me thats for sure :clapper:

well lads i,ll lick to agree whith yous becuse i think if working your dog day and night is your game your dog shuld be good at it .but last year i was going whith a frend of mine he dune a lot of day time cousing he had a handy little bitch that was a reguler 3 out of 3 bitch bread out of digger ones he stated lamping her she was good but stoped at hedgs coused again . so for me its got to be houses for corses . regars marshman

Providing a dog gets a good all round education in the field while its growing up: like jumping ditches when it is NOT chasing something to begin with (saw one or two uneducated dogs kill themselves falling in big drains (ditches) on the fens.) then once a dog has got used to the difference between long ears and rabbits I've never had a problem.

IMO all dogs should be used to running stuff by day before they are taken lamping: they need to learn field craft and look out for the dangers like wire etc before they're actually on something.

I used to notice that dogs first run on long ears when they'd been used to rabbits took a few sessions to realise that not all stuff that hits a hedge goes to ground: once they'd sussed the difference then they were straight through or over on a long ear, but stopped when it was a rabbit as they'd known it had gone to ground.

A lot of people tell you that they start a dog on the lamp then progress to daytime after wards ,I do it the otherway round.I like a dog to be competent at daytime catching before I take it out on the lamp,then I think a dog is used to following its quarry wherever it goes.

Edited by inan