Froggy went a courting

Great pictures Kay! :good:

As has already been said, toad spawn is in string form and not as easily viewable. it wont float but sinks and lies on or near the bottom.

Aye, and it's often wrapped around reeds, lilly pad stems, etc. :thumbs:

I hope i spot some in the coming weeks would be nice to get a couple of pics of it , never seen it before so a first for me if i do :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love our native amphibians Kay, the more pics, the better! :thumbs:

This woman was on the telly just & she goes out at 3am taking piccies of everything , so thats what i am going to do later on hope i take something interesting :laugh:

This woman was on the telly just & she goes out at 3am taking piccies of everything , so thats what i am going to do later on hope i take something interesting :laugh:

That's when they come out! ;)

That's when they come out! ;)

Oh i might get lucky then :thumbs:

Heres some toads from my early hours mooch , i nearly trod on one of them , read up about toads last night & there very facinating , they spend more time on land than in water , they also lay up to 5 foot of eggs :o , they eat incects & shed there coat & eat the old one

The sad bit is greenbottles lay eggs in there nasal caverty & it stops them breathing & they die :( , there very cute i think & like little warriers in armour , brilliant they are :laugh:

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

excellent pics Kay :clapper: i think you are getting the hang of your camera now and you seem to be bitten by the nature bug good for you. its amazing whats right under your nose or foot :D and goes by unnoticed by most.

Your right there , second childhood springs to mind, i am itching to go out again in a min but i need to wait till the creases drop out my face first :laugh:

Cracking pictures again Kay! :good:

Your right there , second childhood springs to mind, i am itching to go out again in a min but i need to wait till the creases drop out my face first :laugh:

PMSL! :clapper::laugh:

Cracking pictures again Kay! :good:

PMSL! :clapper::laugh:

Well you never know who will be about , i need to look my best :laugh: and first thing i dont :laugh: the toads were really active i only had a couple of seconds to get each photo before they moved on , its amazing watching them walk , i would love to get the tadpoles & then the baby toads :toast:

Question is ....is it a mummy toad or a daddy toad....

Mommys i would say they looked bigger than the males who were in hot pursuit of that female last week

As well as the size, ie females being bigger, there is another thing you can look out for but it's not completely fool-proof. I always found that although all toads are a kind of muudy-greenish-brown, the females were more brown and the males more green...I think. :hmm: