Froggy went a courting

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i right in saying that a frog hops and a toad only walks?

Apparently yes as i had my nose 2 inches from its backside at one point the last thing i wanted it to do was hop :laugh::laugh:

They have stunning eyes...for those who don't mind getting close.

I agree there eyes are a lovely rich amber colour , really interesting creatures, i hope i see some more

I think the eye photo is of a Giant Toad, also known as a Cane or Marine Toad (Bufo Marinus). The Common Toad (Bufo Bufo) of the British Isles has amber/bronze eyes. Sorry if I sound a bit of a nerdy swot but I was mad about toads as a lad and kept them as pets, both Common and Giant. :icon_redface:

I think the eye photo is of a Giant Toad, also known as a Cane or Marine Toad (Bufo Marinus). The Common Toad (Bufo Bufo) of the British Isles has amber/bronze eyes. Sorry if I sound a bit of a nerdy swot but I was mad about toads as a lad and kept them as pets, both Common and Giant. :icon_redface:

Natures not nerdy , if others took the trouble to look & learn maybe the world would be a better place

am i right in saying that a frog hops and a toad only walks?

Apparently yes as i had my nose 2 inches from its backside at one point the last thing i wanted it to do was hop :laugh::laugh:

Or fart !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers

OBE

Very funny i cant get the photos i want unless i get close though :laugh:

The males develop a rough rubbery pad on their front toes for gripping the female. bloody strong they are too. when i was a kid we used to see huge breeding balls of toads. once netted one and there was 15 odd males trying to play rudies with an tired female!!!

The males develop a rough rubbery pad on their front toes for gripping the female. bloody strong they are too. when i was a kid we used to see huge breeding balls of toads. once netted one and there was 15 odd males trying to play rudies with an tired female!!!

i thought that second male was also looking to get on the female as well , will the spawn be round the edges of the pond or in the deeper water , i have looked today but couldnt see any

Great pictures Kay! :good:

As has already been said, toad spawn is in string form and not as easily viewable. it wont float but sinks and lies on or near the bottom.

Aye, and it's often wrapped around reeds, lilly pad stems, etc. :thumbs: